Raising tow vehicle for more clearance

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 08:55
ThreadID: 104571 Views:2248 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I am not mechanically minded but can under stand what people are talking about.
Can someone tell me if I want to raise the clearence of my tow vehicle for a bit of off road when it is raised does that increase the load carrying capacity of the tow vehicle?
I will thank al those that reply now and will appreciate any info given. Thanks.
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:12

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:12
Hi Dave,
A little more info required before any suggestions can be made, make & model of vehicle, intended use, what 'hard' accessories are already fitted to vehiclle.
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519089

Follow Up By: Member - David 221160 - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:17

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:17
Sorry Tony Just a general question as I am not purchasing a tow vehicle till early 2014. It will be a Landcruiser early 2000"s model and I want to put a roof top tent on top so I can leave my caravan parked up and be able to access some places where a caravan is not allow to enter.
That is all I can ell you at this stage but if I require more info I may have to wait till 2014 when I have purchased the tow vehicle.
Thanks for your reply.
Dave
FollowupID: 799091

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:57

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 09:57
Upgrading a vehicles GVM can be done relatively easily for around the 3k mark BUT with the vehicle being already registered it will only comply in the state that it is registered in for national compliance it must have the GVM upgrade prior to the vehicles initial/first registration!

Not knowing what size/weight your van is you may get away with just a set of airbags (available from www.michigantrucksprings.com) @ half the price you pay here in Oz
Early 2000's model cruiser... so it will be a 100 series..... just keep your eye out for a good diesel unit.
Have you had a look at www.lcool.org ? HEAPS of info there & very specific!

Hope to cu down the road one day
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 799093

Follow Up By: Member - David 221160 - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 10:30

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 10:30
Thanks again Tony.
I will have a look at the web sight.

Dave
FollowupID: 799098

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:52

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:52
Tony...

The information is not quite correct, as I understand it.

There are two ways a vehicle’s GVM can be upgraded. Prior to the initial registration and this will mean it can be registered in any State of Australia with the increased GVM.

The second way is to have it done post initial registration and this will come under the State in which it is registered in compliance regulations. The vehicle is perfectly legal to be driven anywhere within Australia, however if you change the registration to another State the increased GVM will need to be certified by an engineer in the new State of registration, or it reverts to the original manufacturer’s GVM.
FollowupID: 799134

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 22:31

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 22:31
This whole GVM upgrade has been "done to death" across various forums.

It may well be possible "in theory" to have a GVM upgrade after initial regestration, but in practice it is nearly impossible, and it is nowhere near as simple as getting an engineer to sign off on it..

If the vehicle has inadequite GVM, my I suggest you have chosen the wrong vehicle.

We are seeing enough vehicles with bent and broken chassis, broken wheel studs and such when used within manufacturers specifications, without arbitarily increasing the carrying capacity.

Most of our current 4wds are derived from vehicles with far lower GVMs and many are of the view that they have pushed the designs way to far into the safety margins.

cheers
FollowupID: 799170

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 22:50

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 22:50
Bantam...

I'll disagree, the process isn't hard at all, no theory, I am having mine done presently and it will be signed off.

On inadequate GVM, far too many people are travelling in vehicles well above GVMs without realising the danger of doing so, without adequate adjustments to suspension, nor the risk they are taking in regards to insurance cover and culpability in the event of an accident.

FollowupID: 799171

Reply By: Krooznalong - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 13:25

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 13:25
G'day David

The simple answer is No. Just raising a vehicle (which simplistically means a new suspension system ie new springs & shockies) will not alter the legal amount you can carry - that requires the spending of heaps more $s.

Please note that you may not need to raise the vehicle just for a "bit" of offroad. Many (probably most) 4WDs will handle plenty of off-road driving without mucking around with the suspension.

Do heaps of research before potentially wasting your money.
AnswerID: 519099

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:03

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 17:03
Of course if you have a modern comfortable Landrover product all you have to do is push a button - and you have your lift.
FollowupID: 799125

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 18:06

Thursday, Oct 03, 2013 at 18:06
Hi David,
For general use and most basic off road we would normally encounter the 100 series Cruiser is at an adequate height straight from the factory. If you want to go a bit more "hard core" off roading then a lift may be called for.
In the interim air bags inside the coils are a good inexpensive solution if needed.

Best idea is to get out there and have a go to see what level of off roading you will be requiring, this will determine what you need to do.

If you can get hold of some of the "Gall Boys Adventures" it will give you some idea of what can be done with the factory suspension and settings on the 100 series. The places the boys go and the things they do with those Sci Fleet hire vehicles is astounding and as far as I know they are stock standard except for bolt on after market accessories and sign writing.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519123

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 07:10

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 07:10
I'm in QLD and I've had my GQ patrol for 3yrs which was converted to a twin cab ute with a chassis ext by the previous owner I recently weighed it and figured out it is only allowed to carry approx 400kg because the GVM wasn't changed and the vehicle is now heavier than standard with the mod done to it. I went to the motor registry recently and they said I can't change the GVM I said the wheelbase is longer so shouldn't I be able to have it up graded they said no it has to stay they way it is they will not change the GVM from factory. Pretty useless having a ute that can carry 5 people up to 400kg and nothing else.
AnswerID: 519144

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 10:20

Friday, Oct 04, 2013 at 10:20
It might be specific to your particular vehicle and the work that has been carried out on it. Either that, or you have been given incorrect information by the motor registry.

I'd suggest speaking with someone who does suspension work. Providing they have a kit that is certified for your vehicle than it shouldn't be a problem. It is fitted and then signed off by an engineer. However, given the original vehicle has been modified there may be some issue or requirement with that.

Good luck with it...
FollowupID: 799189

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 14:24

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 14:24
Simple answer is that just doing a lift does not increase your load carrying capacity , also be aware that doing a lift of over 50mm will require engineering certification in most states and that even though you have lifted the vehicle your differential height above ground stays the same.
AnswerID: 519215

Sponsored Links