covering intercooler

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 17:10
ThreadID: 10458 Views:1887 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, when crossing water, what effect, if any at all, will the engine suffer once you have placed a blind across the front of the vehicle but more importantly covering the intercooler,ie; under the bonnet and effectively restricting its air intake??, regards, Adrian.i like terra firma, the more firma the less terra, regards, Adrian.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: donk - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 17:29

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 17:29
Stopping air flow to the intercooler will have no affect when doing a water crossing at all

The role of the intercooler is to cool the air after it has left the turbo & this makes it denser & increases the engine power slightly

Looking at the photo you have a turbo intercooled prado

The hilux turbo uses a non intercooled version of this same engine

As long as you are not covering the actual air intake to the engine air cleaner you will have no problems

Regards Don
AnswerID: 46374

Reply By: chrisfrd - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 18:15

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 18:15
I Disagree!

It should make a HUGE difference! You now have a water/air/air intercooler!

Huge improvement in power output. Only problem is you had to drop your truck into the creek to do obtain the advantage!

To be serious, the only problem you have with dunking the intercooler into lots of water relates to if it will withstand the tempurature change and not crack! Intercooler units are made up from 1mm and .5mm thick aluminium that don't usually like sudden tempurature changes.

My Nissan unit cracked at the seal, probably due to it being drowned a few times (ZD-30 Turbo) in rather large creeks. The truck would plough through, with the water going over the blind and into the intercooler opening on the top of the bonnet.

AnswerID: 46380

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 18:37

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 18:37
my line of thinking would be that if the water's deep enough to require a blind then it's probably going to make contact with your intercooler if no blind were present. This would have to be worse than any temporary air restriction.

I will quite readily stand corrected should I be wrong as I'm no expert - just offering an opinion that's all.Cheers 'n' Beers
AnswerID: 46385

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 21:43

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004 at 21:43
Water on intercooler will only help with power, cooling the air more!!

Go for it!

BUt remember you should have already stopped and let car cool down as you checked the water depth
AnswerID: 46411

Follow Up By: Aston - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:54

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:54
Truckster is right,

Take the time let every thing cool down boil the billy if necessary.

At least you will reduce the thermal shock to all the car components.

as regards to increase in power its irrelevant in this situation.

Aston
FollowupID: 308329

Reply By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:18

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:18
Thank you gentlemen, by the way donk, it's a nissan, even better.

regards all, Adrian.

i like terra firma, the more firma the less terra, regards, Adrian.
AnswerID: 46438

Follow Up By: Kermit - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 00:12

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 00:12
Don't forget that you live in S.A. Ace- you would be lucky to find enough water to wash the dust off your diff.
FollowupID: 309274

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:27

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:27
Ace,
most people do deep water crossings at an engine speed where turbo boost hasn't cut in. So as you are not compressing the air, it isn't heating and therefore won't be cooled by the intercooler.Bob
AnswerID: 46471

Sponsored Links