Heavy Duty Starter Motor

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 16:51
ThreadID: 104595 Views:3527 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Ok I was asked a question by a friend here in Broken hill

he has a Toyota, Landcruiser, HZJ105R Standard and it needs a new starter motor

he had a mate who had same vehicle and the Starter Motor died on a return trip from camrons corner lucky they got another person to help them get started but that was lucky you might not always get help and a tow can be expensive.

so the question is can he get a heavy duty starter motors for that model and what is the difference and is it worth the extra expense he lives in Broken hill and is often out of town on remote tracks .

I have no idea so any one out there that can help

thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:24

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:24
allein,
I have found starter motors very reliable, but they do only last a certain service life.

Most usually die through mud and water with some just plain wearing out.

The old 1hz starters seem to last very well with few failures even under harsh conditions.

I guess what I am saying is, many things can stop the vehicle in remote locations that can't be fixed, whether it be a collapsed battery (even the best ones do that) a clutch that lets go, something as simple as algae where you simply run out of filters or a hole in the fuel tank.

AnswerID: 519218

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:33

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:33
No there is no real thing as a heavy duty starter motor for a HZJ105 and in most cases most passenger and light vehicles....... you can get true heavy duty starter motors for Chevs, Fords and Mopar gear but these are manufactured to cope high compression race engines.

In stock vehicles the need for a heavy duty starter is not warranted as the standard starter does what it is meant to do.

BUT this is where it gets tricky, there are heavy duty starter motors for a range of vehicles but the word heavy duty is used where extra corrosion protection is applied, maybe a bit heavier wiring and better sealed connectors ....... as in mine sites where corrosive substances are used.

Starter motors like them are a waste of money and you will never see the benefit if used in everyday mum and dad applications.

The quality of starter motors can vary greatly from one importer/manufacturer to another, if you were an importer you could spec the quality of components used in the starter motors you were bringing in to Australia. Most of the cheaper non name overseas manufactures offer this service. The cut corners by using lower grade raw materials, cheaper manufacturing processes and in some cases less material.

This is why some importer offer starter motors and alternators at ridiculous prices..... some would say they are getting a bargain and the people selling the dearer ones are ripping people off, this is so far from the truth it's not funny.

We use and recommend OEX starters and alternators for an aftermarket brand and genuine only.

OEX has a 3yr Australia wide warranty on all passenger and non commercial vehicle applications.
AnswerID: 519219

Follow Up By: allein m - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:42

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:42
thank you for that

so you can either go cheap and nasty and hope for the best or pay a little more for a quality product

that is what i was thinking from the start.
FollowupID: 799251

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 19:32

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 19:32
Yes it pays to pay a bit more and buy from a reputable bricks and mortar business.

If you purchase it from someone who purchases it from one of the 5 major wholesalers you are pretty safe.

The problem with online sellers is you don't know the quality and most who have to send something back for a warranty claim usually gives up in frustration...... and there are many who just shut up shop and reopen 2 months later selling the same rubbish, just under a different name.
FollowupID: 799259

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:39

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:39
My 1HZ starter failed at about 200K but was only the solenoid contacts that were burnt out. I got a heavier duty set for $40 and fitted them. Dead easy job. The starter itself was virtually as new so I don't think they wear out easily. The new contacts had a much larger contact surface than the Toyota ones so maybe that qualifies as "Heavy duty".
AnswerID: 519221

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 19:25

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 19:25
Just make sure the contacts are square to the plunger surface and they make full surface contact, if they are off a little bit it will lead to burnt contacts and a shorter life.
FollowupID: 799258

Reply By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 21:06

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 21:06
What is very important with this is a very good power supply , Good heavy duty battery good heavy duty leads and ends . nothing kills starter motors quicker than poor power supply ..IMO
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519232

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 00:55

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 00:55
Go and see NKS Auto Electrician in Wyman Lane.
No association, just a happy customer.
cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519236

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 11:38

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 11:38
Dave Byes I know of him he has done work for me before i will give his name to my friend

right next to pro heart back yard

thank you

FollowupID: 799289

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:25

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:25
Its a fact of life that starter motors fail.
Its is also a fact of life that on most vehicles they are pretty easy to change.

So if you travel remote, it is one of the things that should be in your spares box.

That is unless it is one or two of the late model vehicles....then there are those of us that question the suitability of these vehicles for remote travel.

cheers
AnswerID: 519263

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:38

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:38
Regularly traversing deep water is usually the biggest single cause of shortened starter motor life. The water carries fine grit into the starter motor. It's made worse when you have a clutch compartment that is vented, and also when you have a low-mounted starter motor.
If there's a breather tube on your starter motor (some Jap starter motors have them, and they're usually quite short), then extending that breather tube is a good move if you're regularly splashing through deep water.
AnswerID: 519266

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 15:43

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 15:43
The problem with Landcruiser starter motors is well documented and relates to the contacts only. They are not heavy enough and there is aftermarket larger contacts available for them and it is a simple enough job to fit them if needed.

Here is a pic of the required parts and part numbers.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519272

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 16:29

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 16:29
thank you for going to the effort of punting pictures I will not see my friend till tuesday but at least now i can give a decent answer to the question
I really do appreciate the answers thank you
FollowupID: 799312

Sponsored Links