Spooky sites

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:22
ThreadID: 104596 Views:3239 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My bride and I have been travellers for quite a few decades,(4) we travel alone and bush camp most of the time. Occasionally we've set up camp, usually in an isolated place and it's felt spooky for want of a better word so we've upped camp and moved, have others experienced this ?
One place comes to mind was Burke and Wills bridge near Tibooburra, we both felt a very eerie feeling so we moved to the other side of the river.....imagination ? I dunno.
Rob.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: steved58 - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:38

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 17:38
Yes we have sometimes a spot does not feel right for no apparent reason so we move if possible Sometimes its too late and we stay but always end up with a restless night Luckily spots like that are rare

Steve
AnswerID: 519220

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 18:48

Saturday, Oct 05, 2013 at 18:48
Spot on, Rob
Happens from time to time.
Once we were camped in the Salzkammergut Lake district in Austria - beautiful place but spooky as all hell - the vibes were terrible and no one else was around.
Two days later we found out it was the site of a Nazi SS holiday camp during WW2
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 519223

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 00:03

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 00:03
Not so much 'spooky' but we had a stop once, on the way to Onslow back in the early 70's, saw a spot which looked like a great camp, Onslow, back in those days was very quiet and not much happening, anyway, we got out and there wasn't a sound, the silence was deafening, it was so eerie, we were there for a couple of hours when in the distance we heard a truck coming, that truck took nigh on half an hour to get to where we were, I have never been so grateful to a truck before or since, it broke that eerie silence, it really was scary but once the sound broke the eerieness there was no problem, we've never encountered anything like it since.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519235

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 12:07

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 12:07
Deanna - Back in the 1950's and early 1960's, when Bell Bros were hauling manganese ore from Woodie-Woodie to Pt Hedland, along the old, unsealed Woodie-Woodie Road - they couldn't get blokes from Perth to stick with the job of driving their trucks on that run.

The isolation and the deathly silence of the desert country really spooked blokes who were used to city life and noise. A lot came back from doing a Woodie-Woodie run, a complete screaming mess from the utter isolation, and "pulled the pin" on the spot.

Of course, Bells made the mistake of sending out blokes alone, too.
It takes a special kind of person to work alone in the deathly silence of the outback, hundreds of kms from any other human, and a lot of people just can't cut it.

I've done my share of a lot of lonely work in some very isolated areas and I've been spooked a few times - but invariably the spooking has a simple cause - and a light breeze springing up when there has been total stillness, making things move, can spook the best of us.
FollowupID: 799291

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 10:03

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 10:03
Back about 1975, was travelling back to Blue Mouutains, along Olympic hway, I think.

Stopped on dark at a gravel dump, where there was a small graveyard further up the ridge. Couldn't get to sleep, and had visions of a decayed, bony hand coming over the side of the ute, where I'd rolled out my swag. Also, every second truckie seemed to delight in tooting their air horns!

Finally, about midnight, grabbed the "Big Jim"(remember them?) and wandered up to check out the graves. Most of them were from one family, and a couple of generations were there too. Once I'd done this, went back to ute, and slept soundly till daylight.

Someone might know the spot I mentioned?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519248

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 10:28

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 10:28
Aboriginal sites like Laura caves and at Riversleigh. I feel a very strong compulsion to announce myself to who or whatever is giving me the heebeejeebies even before I know I am on sacred ground.
This has happened too many times to ignore.
For the record, I am non indigenous.

To a similar end, we had an unwritten rule that no single men were to overnight on Booby island - too many cases of perfectly sane blokes being accosted by the g'daicha woman in the middle of the night - I'm not big on that sort of thing, but I sure as hell didn't tempt fate either ;) Got to be something in it.
AnswerID: 519250

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 10:49

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 10:49
Don't know about scary sites but we had a ripper of a scare one night.

We had been in the Simpson for three days and hadn't seen a car. That's okay as we prefer it uncrowded. You could say that we were really isolated.

Very late one night I woke to what sounded like a rustling sound and some very soft slow footsteps. The heart rate climbed. It's important to note that my wife was still asleep. I just lay there with the heart rate racing. I thought it may have been an animal, camel etc. So I hit the canvas HARD. My wife nearly died. She woke with a hell of a fright and thought that it was a lizard or something jumping up onto the tent. I didn't think that she not expecting me to hit the canvas.

Bloody big OOPS made by Phil there!

It took a while for both of us to calm down. It was simply a gentle whisper of a breeze going through every now and then and ever so slightly moving the canvas. You IDIOT Phil.

I should explain something, one reason we got the roof top was for travels in the tropical crocodile inhabited north. Apparently crocodiles cannot jump that high. My wife likes being up and away from them.

All thoughts about jumping lizards and abominable snow men are now a joke between us. Back then I was nearly dead by my wifes thoughts alone.

Life is full of these moments. We can laugh now.

Phil
AnswerID: 519252

Follow Up By: Herbal - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:26

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:26
If it makes you feel any better, Phil...A croc can jump straight up a height equal to it's body length (including tail).

They have been known to pluck people out of trees...

All is not lost thou...They rarely attack on land and when they do, it is usually after quite some time of stalking you first...Like maybe a week or more or even months...Being off the ground is good, but moving every day or two...Even if you just move 50m or so, confuses the croc and he has to start the stalk all over again :)

When I was last up that way (15 years ago) a 5m croc was found walking down a dirt track...8km from the nearest water !

Sweet dreams :)
FollowupID: 799296

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 18:20

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 18:20
Yeah - but surely only if you camp over water!!?? I can't see croc's jumping their body height on dry land. :)

Chris
FollowupID: 799319

Follow Up By: Herbal - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 18:54

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 18:54
Are you sure....

I heard about a dingawallacroc that cleared 7 foot straight up on dry land only 4km from the banks of the Murray...:)

No, mate. If they get it in their minds that you are dinner...Then you are dinner !

Some people say run side to side...sure has merit...But what I have found is, if you make it clear that you can see the croc, he will back off. If the croc thinks you can see him then he will want to hide so that he can stalk you....Don't take me word for word thou...I would suggest RUN..:)
FollowupID: 799322

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 10:02

Monday, Oct 07, 2013 at 10:02
Yep - I'm with you...stop and look into the eyes or RUN? ...hmmm.
FollowupID: 799355

Reply By: Herbal - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:31

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 13:31
What I find interesting, is that very often these "spooky" feelings are felt by the whole group of people there at the time...!

I have been in groups of 2 of us through to maybe 6 or 7...and everyone suddenly feels the same eerie, spooky feeling of something being not right...
AnswerID: 519264

Reply By: Kyle H - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 16:23

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 16:23
Luina comes to my mind. This is a remote nickel mining town in the middle of Tassie. When the mining finished the town was deserted, soon after all the building structures in the town were sold off then trucked out. All that is left are the bitumen roads and concrete gutters which were heavily overgrown.
Very eerie stay as there was evidence of hunters visiting the area from their oddly located and what appeared to be campsites where they had been butchering their kill. Reminded me of the Deliverance movie!
Very sleepless night with the van hooked up and pointing towards the nearest exit point.
AnswerID: 519281

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 19:38

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 19:38
Hi

Some "spooky" camp stories here...Camp Stories

Cheers
Greg

P.S. It is of course your imagination :)
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519290

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 22:59

Sunday, Oct 06, 2013 at 22:59
Yep, several time we have felt not right. Worst though was Glencoe in Scotland, deathly quiet and cold to the bone, 3days later we were given the history lesson, most spooky
AnswerID: 519297

Sponsored Links