Does a Trail A Mate fit a 12' Jayco without welding it on?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 16:02
ThreadID: 104666 Views:3987 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

The bride wants something like a trail a mate to replace the jockey wheel.

The photos I have seen have the jack attached to a cross piece on the A frame.

Do I have to get a cross piece welded on, or will it fit where the old jockey wheel is?

Also, are they virtually trouble free?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 16:56

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 16:56
G'day Boo Boo,
We have had a trail-a-Mate for a couple of years, and it has been trouble free, will fit where the jockey wheel goes, can't see why you would have to weld a cross piece to the A frame.
Cheers.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519500

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 17:12

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 17:12
Thanks Baz, I just wasn't sure.

I also looked at a couple of reviews and it seems that around 2011 they were having trouble with their seals.

Not having seen any complaints since them I will presume they have resolved that problem.

FollowupID: 799644

Reply By: landseka - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 17:59

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 17:59
Hey Boo Boo, how you doing?

I bought a 2nd hand Trail a mate & love it. As said it just goes where the jockey wheel is/was. It comes with a wheel or the flat plate which is what I use as the van is too heavy to push around anyway.

It will come with 2 brackets which you weld to the van frame normally behind the wheels / rearmost wheels with a tandem. These brackets are needed to use it as a jack to lift the whole side for wheel change, bearing service etc.

I wouldn't bother with a normal jockey wheel now.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 519501

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 00:17

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 00:17
Quote "It will come with 2 brackets which you weld to the van frame normally behind the wheels / rearmost wheels with a tandem. These brackets are needed to use it as a jack to lift the whole side for wheel change, bearing service etc."

This is not a simple job on Jaycos like it is on other vans. There is no solid cross member to weld the lifting brackets to on a Jayco.

If you are not going to go to the trouble of the engineering work to mount the lifting brackets there is a cheaper option. It's the BOS Jockey Wheel. If you want the foot plate as well as the wheel its available seperately. There is also an adaptor to use your electric drill for a winding aid.

You can also purchase them in kits. Go hunting on the web site.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 799664

Reply By: dieseltojo - Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 19:46

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013 at 19:46
Hi BooBoo,
All good with the standard wheel lifting attachments, If you get the "near van wheel channels" welded on they make a great lifting jack.
AnswerID: 519507

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 13:48

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 13:48
Hi Boo Boo,
The cross brace is not needed to mount the Trail A Mate but a mate has fitted a bolt on cross brace so that he can fit and remove his weight distribution bars easily while still jacked, which the jockey wheel interferes with, to some extent.

His cross brace actually came from a boat trailer and fitted his Jayco Sterling perfectly. (luckily I guess)

He also had some welding done behind the rear wheels to carry the lifting jig for the Trail A Mate.

The cross brace is a good idea but not necessary.

I am still plodding along with the jockey wheel as I believe there is more weight in the Trail A Mate.

If you are interested in the mods I will find out the details and MM you when he gets here in around 4 weeks.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519543

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 16:45

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 16:45
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, and the offer Bruce.

I must apologies for not replying sooner, but I have been flat out packing and preparing our house to sell it. Not fun LOL.

I have decided to buy the trail a mate and will start to look for a good price in the next month or so.

I hope you are all 'fire' free. Unfortunately my daughter had to evacuate her 10 day old house at Balmoral village earlier this afternoon. So we are on stand by in case the worst happens.

Regards Bob
FollowupID: 800163

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:51

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 17:51
Not good news for the daughter there Bob.

Just had a small storm come through and dump some rain here between Port Macquarie and Kempsey and there is more forecast for tonight up this way so I can only hope down south is going to get a good dose as well, which should settle things down hopefully.

It's bloody dry most places though, even here.

Heading off for Queensland tomorrow for 2 weeks with the crew to go fishing in one of the dams.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 800168

Sponsored Links