The Best High Tempurature Alarm?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:22
ThreadID: 104675 Views:2215 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A few months ago there was a Forum thread which debated the best method to alarm a cooling system failure. The three monitored conditions discussed were; i) loss of coolant ii) high coolant temperature iii) high block temperature. Each method of alarm had its good and bad points.

I modified an Engine Safe EMS500 - this came standard with a low coolant alarm and high coolant temperature alarm – for an extra $20 they supplied an additional bolt on sensor to monitor the block temperature and they reprogramed the display to my instruction.

When attaching the block sensor I had difficulty getting to or finding a point to attached directly to the head or block. To get at one of heads on my V8 Troopy would have been a major strip down job.

I settled for one of the aluminium castings bolted to the block. I selected the hottest one using a infrared Thermometer (some of these bolt on points varied by up to 10 degrees).

With this setup I monitor all 3 conditions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 15:16

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 15:16
Dennis E

Have you lowered the coolant level and/or air shielded the radiator so the coolant gets hot to see if it works?

Since the burning fuel is the heat source and the block is the receiver of that heat ( along with the pistons) the block temp is the factor which rises in value with coolant loss and coolant temp can't become elevated if the block isn't supplying it with heat. So it seems the block temp would be the first factor to know if it works or not.

After your test with no coolant, or low coolant level to replicate coolant loss it will be interesting to know what the block temp sensor did for you.
AnswerID: 519545

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 15:58

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 15:58
Hi Ross,
I have tested the low coolant level alarm by emptying the radiator header tank.
I have tested the unit’s temperature alarms with both sensors dipped in an electric kettle of boiling water. They are within a degree's variation of each other.

I don’t intend to raise the diesel’s cooling system to boiling point by deliberately lowering the coolant. I don’t think that’s very wise.

For me it doesn’t matter which sensor responds first or which is the quickest – it’s a belt and braces approach. If this system has a risk of failing there is not much I can do about it.

It’s the best system I can think of for around $400.
Do you have an alternative?
FollowupID: 799685

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 17:29

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 17:29
G'day Dennis
I wouldn't want the engine to boiling point, I presume you mean of water and not coolant. In fact I want to be warned before it gets to boiling so a test in boiling water is a test. but it means the engine has to get to that too to make the water/coolant (which won't be boiling) that hot.

Having coolant loss detection and also the temp warning of the block is also a good backup.

I would like to have a temp sensor in the bottom tank so I know how close to maximum ability the system is running at and when towing/heavy loads it will indicate the closeness to the max which the system is operating.
This is particularly important if the truck is also an auto and the auto heat is being dumped into the bottom tank as well. Then engine load/heat output and auto heat output can abruptly raise the cooling system temp when the hill appears or the tail wind changes things.

Being able to track or have warning of that is, to me a primary thing.

The triple ability you have is quite ok but there is more in the early warning aspect if you are monitoring or require the awareness as the triple is sort of after the fact not during the occurrence.

All the best with it. Many have nothing much at all.

Ross M
FollowupID: 799690

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 17:54

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 17:54
Hi Ross
My alarms are set at 85 degrees – just running around town at the moment.
I will reset them once I have been running with various loads in hot weather.
I am happy with the placement of the sensors as recommended by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the info
FollowupID: 799692

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 17:21

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 17:21
Hi Dennis,
Hi have a low water alarm connected to the to the mid section of the top radiator hose.
I can assure you the alarm activates even if there is air in the system and or loss of coolant. I have found it can be a pain when changing the coolant to remove any air in the system. I do realise that it is not temperature activated if the radiator is blocked but that can be put down to poor maintenance.
Ian
AnswerID: 519550

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 18:09

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 18:09
Hi Ian,
I am sure your system is quite suitable and covers most situations.
I tend to go overboard with this sort of stuff.
Thanks for the info about the low coolant alarm’s operation in actual operating conditions – it should address Ross M’s concern.
FollowupID: 799694

Reply By: Danny & June - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 00:09

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 00:09
Hi alll.

Try signals australia.0732776770
Lug bolts under thermostat housing,
LED shows temp.
They are on internet TM1 is new model.
I have used old TM2 for maybe 20 years still works.
No relation it just works.
Thanks
Danny
AnswerID: 519666

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 12:10

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 12:10
Hi Danny and June,
I had a look at the TM1.
Cheap enough but it didn’t monitor the range of conditions I wanted.
Thanks for the info
FollowupID: 799869

Sponsored Links