Break-a-way System

Submitted: Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 13:58
ThreadID: 104678 Views:2280 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My Question is:
Has any NSW person bought a brand new Caravan (18ft or larger) from Victoria - and only received a third of the break-a-way system ?

I found out during the NSW RTA blue Slip Inspection for Registration, that 2/3rds of the system was missing, meaning the separate break-a-way battery for the electric brakes and it's monitor which apparently goes near the dashboard in the car.. ?? was missing.

All I received was the pull apart bit on the A frame and the hook & line that attaches to the car above the tow ball.

I was told the battery from my car operated the electric brakes and if the van ever came adrift the pin would be pulled from the A frame and the brakes would lock on. - plus I have a phirana battery monitor in my car. but apparently this is not enough.

I would be very interested to see how others have coped with this NSW vs VIC registration differences for a new van.
OzArt2007
How we get there is less important than who we get there with. the adventures collected and the dreams realized.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 17:29

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 17:29
Hi OzArt,
You were told correctly that the electric van brakes are operated from the car battery via the electric brake controller which should be fitted to your car.

The break away system is only required on vans over 2 tonne in NSW.

There is a seperate battery powered controller usually fitted in the van somewhere, often the front boot, which brings the brakes on when the activating "pin on a lanyard" pull out thingy at the front is pulled out.

Note that it will not be in the front boot if the gas bottles are fitted in there.

It is possible to wire your main van battery into the break away system via the charge wire (I have done this after getting instructions from the manufacturer) and in this way the system is always charged provided your main batteries are charged.

Look around inside your van and see if you can see the break away controller. they are mainly fitted toward the front somewhere out of the weather.

The small Break Safe Battery Monitor is fitted inside the car and is not actually part of the van break away system, although it monitors the break away battery.

It is an easy installation as it only requires one wire from the van to be connected to the monitor as the earth, via the trailer plug, is therefore common to both vehicles.

the monitor is available from RV Electronics in Adelaide for around the $70 dollar mark.
Get their number off their website, give them a ring, very good mob to deal with and can supply every thing you need.

Your caravan manufacturer or sales yard is not responsible for the monitoring device.
If the van is over 2 tonne it should have been fitted with the necessary gear.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519551

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 23:31

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 23:31
That's over 2 tonne GTM by the way.
FollowupID: 799786

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 18:14

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 18:14
Sounds like you do not have a brake controller in your car. If the Trailer has the break away switch, it should have a break away control box somewhere. This Control box needs an auxillary battery supply and a lot have them and a battery condition light all as part of the box.

Here are the things you should have, or like them

In Cab rake Controller

Trailer Brake away unit

Regards Tony
AnswerID: 519552

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 23:17

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 23:17
New South Wales is the only state which requires a breakaway battery state of charge in the vehicle.

Nothing was missing - in NSW the owner has to have something extra at inspection time.

To understand the full picture, start reading here Breakaway System Battery Monitor NSW

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519569

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 23:18

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 23:18
Sorry, first line should read

New South Wales is the only state which requires a breakaway battery state of charge monitor in the tow vehicle.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 799711

Reply By: Member - OzArt2007 - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:34

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:34
Thank you to everybody who replied, I appreciate your advice and experience.

I have now fitted my "extra battery" & monitor - the vehicle is now NSW compliant - and I am a happy Caravanner once again.
OzArt2007
How we get there is less important than who we get there with. the adventures collected and the dreams realized.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520500

Sponsored Links