Looking to buy my first 4WD...thinking of an FJ40...can anyone offer any advice?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1047 Views:9518 Replies:13 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, im looking to buy my first 4WD. I dont have a lot of money to spend (4-5k) and
i would like something pretty reliable, easy to get parts for and repair, and not too bad on fuel.
Also i want a real 4WD as well, that will get me most places, not like some crappy subaru sportswagon!
But it would also have to be practical for getting around the city.

I was thinking of an FJ40 or FJ45 Landcruiser, although the FJ45's do seem quite expensive considering
their age. The FJ45's look like they would be a bitch to park and probably use a lot of fuel as well!
Then i was thinking an older Jackaroo, or perhaps even an old hilux. Somebody suggested a Sierra
although i would like something with a bit more torque and room.

Thanks Guys..

Ryan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00
If you aren't able to do a lot of the work yourself than a sierra would be a good option as you will get a vehicle in better condition for the price. Old 40/45's are a bitch to park, but you may be able to pickup power steering down the track when you've saved some more :)
An old hilux would hardly beat a sierra in power to weight, but would win on the space factor, but if running costs are an issue then the suzuki is a clear winner. Even repairs are cheap. I used to buy Holden Drover parts coz they were cheaper and even came in Suzuki packaging.
AnswerID: 3193

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00

Ryan, the old Toyotas are a magic truck to work on, drive and scource parts and info on. Sure they are a bit of a handful in the parking dept, but it's the fuel that will really get you, unfortunately they are quite thirsty. I'd have a really close look at a Suzi, they are an amazing little truck and parts are everywhere.
Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 3200

Reply By: Ryan - Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the info guys. I guess it really depends on what i can find...ive got to find a good car
at the right price...im just trying to get all the info i can. I didnt realise an FJ40 would be so bad on
fuel...being a diesel and all i thought it was be quite economical...still i guess you cant beat a sierra
in that department. I wouldnt mind a bit more torque though , the sierra's seem to lack that...and storage space also.
Also ive heard the FJ40's are very reliable, not sure about the sierra's...
Does anyone have any opinions on the old Jackaroos? say 1980 - 1984 ??

If the FJ40 is going to be too thirsty maybe i should keep my eye out for a sierra!

AnswerID: 3203

Reply By: Dale - Monday, Apr 29, 2002 at 00:00

Ryan, I have a 1989 Jackaroo with 2.6lt fuel injected petrol motor, I find it has plenty of power and is very capable off road, it is good on fuel ( 26mpg on the hwy ).Be carefull of early Jackaroos they had a few problems and are under powered. But i am very happy with my Jack!
AnswerID: 3212

Reply By: Ken - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
Just a bit of clarification on Toyota models. FJ Petrol engines HJ diesel engines. 40 or 42 series short wheelbase ,45 or 47 series long wheel base either tray back or troopy. early diesels are 3.6 litre 1980 on are 4.0 litre this is definately the best motor should return 12 or 13 k per 100k. Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 3244

Reply By: Definate110 - Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Ryan,

Don't have to much to say about the FJ40, other than my brother in law used to own one, and loved it!
As for the Suzuki and the Jack, (have owned both) the suzuki wins hands down, keep away from the Jackaroo if you want to do some real 4x4, they are hopelessly guttless, and offer little excitement in the bush (good for shopping!) The Sierra's are very capable cars, maybe not the most spacious on the market, but for a first car they are ideal, offering a very reliable and economical motor (1.3L) which can be upgraded to one of the best small motors ever made (Suzuki GTI 1.3 DOHC) for a small price. The sierra is a piece of bleep to park and you can pick up a 1988-90 model for around the money that you have to spend.

Good Luck!
Warwick
AnswerID: 3252

Reply By: Ryan - Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks again guys! If FJ is Petrol, howcome i have seen FJ40's with diesel motors??
I will have to keep my eye out for a decent buy. Its hard in perth, i never see any sierra's around that price,
and all the FJ40's seem to be way overpriced. If you guys hear of anything you think sounds good,
could u let me know?? Either on here or by email, pinker@iinet.net.au
thanks again guys

Ryan
AnswerID: 3253

Follow Up By: Ken - Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00
Dont know mate, but if it has FJ at the start of the model number it started life as a petrol powered landcruiser. Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 1337

Follow Up By: Rob G - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00
Just another note on the 40 series. Shorty 40 diesels are actually prefixed BJ. I owned an '82 BJ42 for 12 years & it was a top machine. Bought it in 1986 for 13k off a dealer, sold it for 8k. Didn't owe me a thing. Got a about 11-12 l/100kms fuel economy. I own a 75 troopy now & it's a pain to park. Shorties fit into just about any tight spot.
FollowupID: 1560

Reply By: James T - Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00
Ryan,

How about an MQ or MK Patrol. These were made between 80 and 88 and they come with a 3.3Lt natural aspirated deisel in the MQ or 3.3Lt Turbo diesel in the MK. I have a SWB MK and it returns about 13lt per running 33in tyres. As well it has power steering and aircon as well as disk brakes at the pointy end. I find that it is a pretty good ride even with the leaf springs. I don't have any problem parking with the standard power steering and use it as my daily driver. Just something I thought I would add to your shopping list. For around $5000 you would surely pick up one of these with a few goodies thrown in.

But remeber no matter what you get have some money in reserve to fix up things to your liking.

Cheers

James T
AnswerID: 3271

Reply By: bob - Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00
They look like they would be a "bitch to park" do they,They look like they "use a lot of fuel" do they?
You idiot, do some research!
AnswerID: 3865

Reply By: Ryan - Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00
Well thats what im trying to do, research. Exuse me but im only 22 and just finding out info on the 4x4 scene. Get a life and find better things to do than come on here and call me an idiot.
AnswerID: 3877

Reply By: Bob (the good one) - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
Ryan
www.redbook.com.au will give you a guide to vehicle prices (Toyotas back to 1960) If you need a vehicle for long range bush touring I'd look at an old Paj or Jack.
AnswerID: 3922

Reply By: Pete - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00
Ryan,
Ive got a 66 FJ45 tray and its been a daily driver in and around Melbourne for 3 years. Its started every time and its bloody reliable. Ive allways got issues with the drive line balancing, only because im to tight to have a pro balance it. Mines on gas an does somewhere around 22lt to the 100kms...which is not that bad at all. Yes, they suck fairly hard but gas is cheap. Dont even think about super. I dont know about diesels. All the girls who are whinging about parking, stop. Mines so bloody easy because my steering is fairly loose and vision to each corner is great. Id park it better than any other small car with window pillars everywhere. The height is prety cool around the city because vision is improved heaps.
Anyway, Thats a recommendation anyway.
Best of luck.
AnswerID: 4461

Reply By: Pete - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00
Ryan,
Ive got a 66 FJ45 tray and its been a daily driver in and around Melbourne for 3 years. Its started every time and its bloody reliable. Ive allways got issues with the drive line balancing, only because im to tight to have a pro balance it. Mines on gas an does somewhere around 22lt to the 100kms...which is not that bad at all. Yes, they suck fairly hard but gas is cheap. Dont even think about super. I dont know about diesels. All the girls who are whinging about parking, stop. Mines so bloody easy because my steering is fairly loose and vision to each corner is great. Id park it better than any other small car with window pillars everywhere. The height is prety cool around the city because vision is improved heaps.
Anyway, Thats a recommendation anyway.
Best of luck.
AnswerID: 4463

Sponsored Links