Where is the best place to advertise an off road caravan

Submitted: Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 17:59
ThreadID: 104714 Views:2971 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have an off road caravan that I will be selling, where should I advertise this to get the best exposure?
Thanks Hugh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:06

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:06
Here of course, plus [ CaravanCampingSales.com.au ] would be my plan.
AnswerID: 519693

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:26

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 18:26
If you try trading post you will be hit with mostly fraud PayPal buyers.
Gumtree, works phenomenally well....and free.
AnswerID: 519695

Follow Up By: BUSH CAMPER - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 19:22

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 19:22
I have put it on both gumtree and caravansale under OFFROAD Elite Goulburn 17', I thought there may have been other sites as well. New to trying to sell a caravan, what do I look out for?
Thanks Hugh
FollowupID: 799908

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 20:12

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 20:12
Don't display your trailer numberplate in any photos where it's for sale.

Always get peoples contact details when they express interest and want to know where its located (I get potential buyers name and phone number before I release any details about location).

Don't reply to any inquiries where the buyer puts "urgent" in an email or expresses extreme urgency in the query - it's guaranteed to be a scam.

If someone expresses interest, and wants you to "hold it for them" while they sort out finance, borrow money off a BIL, or pawn stuff at cash converters to get the money - then write up a simple sale agreement itemising the buyers and sellers names and addresses, a deposit value, the sale price, the date (important), a description of the caravan (including rego number), and any conditions attached to the sale (such as what is included and what's not).

This agreement doesn't have to be something written up by a lawyer - but its a legal agreement with legal standing when it comes to a stoush. Most importantly, it shows you're serious and professional, and you're asking the buyer to be the same.

THEN - get the stated and agreed deposit off the buyer - in folding stuff, on the spot.
This deposit is usually around 10%, but it can be as low as $50 or $100 - or a sum that ensures you don't end up losing out on other buyers, if the original buyer never shows up again.

The deposit should be non-refundable, and is a guarantee that the buyer is genuine, and he's not going to leave you in the lurch by failing to proceed with an agreed deal.

Handshakes are all very well - but folding stuff changing hands is the only thing that seals a deal. "Time is of the essence" as the legal mobs say.

If a buyer puts down a non-refundable deposit and fails to carry out his side of the deal by finding the rest of the money, then you are entitled to compensation for being stuffed around.

Letting a "buyer" leave your premises without getting a deposit means any tyre kicker can stuff you around - he can change his mind 5 secs after leaving your driveway - and you can end up knocking back genuine buyers with handfuls of big green notes - all because you've been made to feel obliged to a dubious buyer who has had buyers remorse, and hasn't told you about it.

Good luck with selling, you'll end up tearing your hair out with the number of bleep s and tyre kickers that turn up, and you have to sort them out from the genuine people.

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 799917

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 13:19

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 13:19
gumtree also has more than it's fair share of fraudulent buyers and is owned by ebay
many w.a sellers have had problems with gumtree fraud buyers they don't have boundary's the world is their oyster
just beware at all times
cheers
FollowupID: 799969

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 19:59

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 19:59
You will get excellent results using the ExplorOz Classifieds as as mentioned above and also now linked into this thread - simply click Create New Ad - would recommend the Premium for the pics and exposure but we get excellent feedback from people using the system.

Good luck.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519702

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 08:17

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 08:17
My off road caravan sold here through the EO classifieds in a few weeks, better still, not a single scam enquiry, thank you!

FollowupID: 799952

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:03

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:03
Excellent Shaker would you mind adding this comment to the Classifieds Review system on the main page and apply a suitable star rating please.

I also note your ad still appears to be running have you not marked it as sold?
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 799966

Reply By: Brian 01 - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 09:10

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 09:10
I sold my last van on Ebay.
The audience that you reach is massive.
In the 10 days of the auction I had over 2000 different lookers and over 300 watchers.
I started it at 99 cents..much to my wife's dismay, had to then inform her that I had set the reserve a bit higher than that.
I did have a few tyre kickers and such who really thought that they were going to buy it for just a few grand.
The bidding between two parties got quite heated in the last few minutes and it ended up going for $43000, which was way higher than the reserve, and more than I had paid for it 8 years earlier.
If you go down this path don't disclose your reserve (many will ask), and opt out of accepting Paypal as a payment method as it may get a bit expensive.
Bank cheques can also be dicey so get a direct deposit if possible and then verify that the money is in your account before parting with the goods.
AnswerID: 519720

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 07:43

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 07:43
+1 for Gumtree

Sold one very quickly and a ton of replies.
AnswerID: 519847

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)