Scanguage 11

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 18:42
ThreadID: 104734 Views:4122 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi just wondered if anyone has one of these units in the newest D-Max and whether it will 'get on' with the D-max ECU? Have heard that they won't 'talk' to some vehicles like the diesel Terracans! Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 18:58

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 18:58
The "old" compatibility list here:

Ample Outdoors scangauge info

mentions that it is compatible with the D-Max from 2008 onwards. Suggest you drop them an email and ask specifically, although if the D-Max was OBD2 compatible in 2008, I can't see why it wouldn't be in 2013.

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 519753

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 19:32

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 19:32
GB, thanks for that, I did send an email to the dealer in Australia but they haven't got back yet, cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 799995

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 19:59

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 19:59
Hi Kanga,
I am in the process of upgrading to a DMax 2013 space cab in three weeks.
I am transferring my Scanguage II to this vehicle. Ample Outdoors are in the stages of upgrading my old unit for $50 (more Info) It will work on the 2013 DMax so they informed me. It has been an excellent unit for 5 years.
Ian
AnswerID: 519755

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 22:12

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 22:12
That's good news Ian, glad to see you are a member, I'll probably send you a MM at some point and get in your ear about the D-Max and Mods etc, got a fair bit to do to mine. Cheers, for the info. Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 800013

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 20:48

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 20:48
Hi Kanga,
I have a Scangauge 2 in my new DMax and it works fine. I am monitoring, trans temp,charge voltage, engine temp and boost, but it will read other functions. To get it to read trans temp I had to program an x-gauge and input the Isuzu codes.
Regards
Scooby
AnswerID: 519758

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 22:16

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 22:16
Hi Scooby, is yours an Automatic? I have the manual Gearbox, was wondering if there is feedback to the ECU on its' oil temp ( wouldn't have thought so, but you never know. ) Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 800015

Reply By: 4wheeler - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 20:54

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 20:54
Also look at the Ultragauge from USA. I have one fitted in my 2012 BT 50 and it works well. The screen is larger and you can display more information if you want it. I don't know if it will work properly in a D-Max.

I also have a Scangauge II as a back-up. Note that these units can only display information if sensors and computer protocols are available to display it through the OBD II connector. If the gearbox does not have a temperature sensor for example, then the unit cannot display a value.

I have mine set for engine temp, boost, inlet air temp, RPM, voltage and others. I suspect though that the engine temperature could be fooled if there was complete water loss from the system, just like most temperature gauges. I don't think it works as a low water based monitor, it just monitors the information sent from the temperature sender.

The Ultragauge has the ability to set audible alarms whereas the Scangauge does not. I have set high and low engine temperature and high and low battery voltage. You can also scroll through different pages which you can set up although this is awkward to do.

I have used the Scangauge to detect and clear EGR engine faults on my pervious Land Rover Defender so they are a cheap and very useful item.

So in summary, I prefer the Ultragauge but Scangauge has proven to me that it works. If either one works with the D-Max then having one is better than not having one.
AnswerID: 519761

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 22:28

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 at 22:28
G'day 4wheeler, I have just about finished fitting the EngineSafe low coolant/temp Alarm unit so hopefully the coolant loss side of things is being taken care of, I have heard good things about the Scanguage 11, the Ultraguage looks to to be a fair bit cheaper and says on their page it will read codes, any particular reason you like the Ultraguage over the Scanguage 11? User friendly? Price? Screen size? etc.
Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 800018

Follow Up By: 4wheeler - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 15:01

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 15:01
Hi Kanga1,
For me the Ultragauge fitted nicely next to the A pillar and I have the Scangauge mounted below the vehicle gauges. You can't use both at once.

The Ultragauge was plug and play apart from a selecting metric units, engine size and fuel tank size. It searched for information it could give and it was then available.

The Scangauge does the same, but some additional inputs you have to put in manually if you know the input/output codes. That is why I have it as a back-up. From what I can see, the total information available is about the same. The Ultragauge display is better IMHO.

As mentioned I like the fact you can set audible alarms on the Ultragauge, but I also like the fact that you can manually set gauges on the Scangauge if you know the codes. You can't do that with and Ultragauge.

Obviously I dealt with both suppliers to get these units. Both were great and I had each item within a week, even thought the Ultragauge is shipped from the USA.

Given the cost, either one will give you more piece of mind than not having one and the fact that you can get basic trouble code groups which can be passed onto a dealer or use it to clear fault codes is a bonus. If you have problems 1000 km from the dealer with an intermittent fault which is not too serious, you can clear it and get the car running better until it throws the fault again. That's what I did when my Defender EGR decided it did not want to play and cracked the sads. Cleared the code and the car ran well for 1000 km before it threw the same MIL warning fault. Cleared it and off we went again until I could get the EGR replaced.

And in case you are wondering, I leave it hooked up full time and I leave it there when I take the vehicle to the dealer for service ( My Mazda is only one year into warranty period) and nothing has been said. It does not alter the car ECU but an Ultragauge might need a few tweaks if it does not shut down when car engine is switched off.Mine did so I did not need to fiddle.

I hope this helps.
FollowupID: 800064

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 18:42

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 18:42
I have one of the earlier scangauges and yes it used to work on my Terracan..

Apart from reading a fault, can the Ultragauge clear a fault like the scangauge ??
FollowupID: 800089

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 22:26

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 22:26
Cheers 4wheeler, it has been a real eye opener finding out what these things are capable of, it is a good idea to have the capability to find out what the problem is and then have a chance to get going again if some electronic jigger has a hissy fit. Never been a huge fan of things you can't fix with a hammer, but there isn't much choice now. I'll check them out on Youtube to see which one will suit me the best. Thanks again, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 800111

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:51

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:51
I have a scanguage and think it is great.

However, technology moves on.

On ebay you can get a "bluetooth" obd scanner for $20 and phone app for $5 to display the info graphically rather than just the four lines of the scanguage.

So can be in business for about $25.

Ultraguage is a fancy phone display and I suspect does it better than phones but costs more (I haven't seen one in action)

Have fun searching for your solution. Having vehicle operating info is just great and very easy to do these days.

Alan
AnswerID: 519781

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 09:21

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 09:21
Alan,

Do you know if a bluetooth OBD scanner is compatible with any iPad/iPhone readers??

Cheers
RM
FollowupID: 800039

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:30

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:30
I don't really know.

If the apple hardware can receive bluetooth it should be ok. You would need to find an app to run on apple gear. Surely there has to be one.

Alan
FollowupID: 800051

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 14:36

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 14:36
Hi Alan, this new witchcraft with electronics just gets better and better, I only found out about Scanguage 11 about 2 months ago, so I'm pretty amazed that you can get all this displayed on your Smart phone via Bluetooth, mazing. We'll have a look at that little lot on the Interweb, (might have to update from the clockwork mobile phone though). Thanks for that revelation, where will it all end?!!! Stunned, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 800060

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 15:56

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 15:56
I have had a look for an Apple app to read the signals, but can't seem to locate one.

Perhaps others know of an Apple engine management App??

Cheers
RM
FollowupID: 800071

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 16:24

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 16:24
Adriane, I was asking this question from a mate who has one in relation to my Troopy. (NBG in my case).

He sent me these links.

The manuals are here:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/user-manuals/scangaugeii-user-manuals/

Australian compatibility here:

http://scangauge.com.au/?page_id=473

The trick is finding the System it uses.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dunc.

BTW Safari was really good this year but Ivan's death was a real tragidy that put the dampener on it somewhat. His funeral was huge.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 519814

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 22:38

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 22:38
How are you doing Dunc? Very sad news about Ivan, we followed Safari on the Net every day to see how things were going in the different categories and saw the press release, we got in touch with Ron and Bruce to pass on our condolences, it won't be quite the same without the big fella. We are still on track to be there for next year via the trip I emailed you about ( details nearly finalized, I'll flash an email through tonight with the general idea). These ECU reader electronic units are awesome and we'll be fitting one of them, they tell you so much useful info. Cheers Dunc, email coming through now.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 800112

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 19:58

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 19:58
Kanga, I'm using a unit similar to the Scanguage II it's called ECUTALK, it is an alternative for those vehicles that don't to the Scanguage.
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519825

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 22:43

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 22:43
Google is my friend, I'll have a look for that unit on the net to see what it offers, cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 800115

Sponsored Links