Cleaning a 12v Shower.

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:24
ThreadID: 104741 Views:2001 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I was hoping to get some advice on cleaning my 12 volt shower.

There is no brand name on it, but it is one of those blue ones. They come in a blue lunch box.

It looks clean. There is no sign of algae or anything else. But I have noticed a slight musty smell when I first turn it on. The smell goes away in a few seconds. It gets used every day sometimes twice a day.

My first shower only lasted a couple of weeks, because I cleaned it...So I don't want the same thing to happen to this one. With the last one, I use a couple of caps full of vinegar in 5 lt of water and that was enough to damage the seals and water got into the motor.

Thanks for any tips.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:30

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:30
Herbal,

Try. Half teaspoon of Oil of Cloves to litre of water. This will kill any moulded spores, and being an oil shouldn't ??? damage the pump.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519777

Follow Up By: Herbal - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:59

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:59
Thanks Bob... I might ??? give that a try unless someone offers a 2 question mark shouldn't ??

Cheers.
FollowupID: 800038

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 13:49

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 13:49
We've still got the same one we've had for years and years. Basic maintenance by taking the screw out that holds the shower head together to remove any little bits of debris which clog it, then hang it up to dry overnight.
Sometimes it's still hard to start pumping as it tends to dry "tight" but I take the bottom filter off and gently move the impellor with a screw driver and she's off and running.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 800057

Follow Up By: Herbal - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 14:19

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 14:19
Thanks Alan.

That sounds like my first one. A small screw holds the base on and you can actually remove the motor. It also had a small screw holding the head together.

This new one is the big brother. I remembered it's a Primus. The blue one that comes with a blue lunch box carry case. You can remove the filter on the pump, but the rest is sealed.

They are only $40 to $50 depending on which shop you go to. So it is not bank breaking. But I would rather clean it than replace it but at the same time, I would rather not replace because I cleaned it :)
FollowupID: 800059

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 15:29

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 15:29
Unscrew the pump and remove the filter then put it back together without the filter.
Now I've got you thinking.
Then get a stocking old pantyhose is great, cut the foot off place the pump into the foot of the pantyhose and tie off around the top of pump using a rubber band.
After each use take of the panty hose and rinse it out including the pump.
The pantyhose is a great filter and will stop all but the colour getting through.
This has worked on our pump for a few YEARS now without a problem.
Change the pantyhose as required.
We have never had any odour however we hang the pump to dry after each use and clean the shower head regularly.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 519807

Reply By: Herbal - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 16:07

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 16:07
Thank you everyone for the replies...

I am actually using this shower at home. I turned my hot water off 9..almost 10 months ago...You don't want to know what my electricity bill is :)

I have been looking at this on and off for a couple of days. Trying to figure out why the smell and how to clean it...

I just took the shower outside and tried it... no smell. So I pour a couple of litres of water into the shower drain... Yep, the smell is the drain.

I would still be interested to hear of any tips to clean these 12 volt showers. But for now a bit of drano is in order. :)

Oh alright...My last bill was $91.46 all up for 89 days... Got about 2 weeks before the next meter read so going off what it reads today, I should be looking at about $98 for the next bill...That is all up with GST and "service charge"....I wonder what has caused the sudden and dramatic increase... :)
AnswerID: 519811

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 16:22

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 16:22
I wish our bill was < a hundred bucks a quarter :o(
FollowupID: 800074

Follow Up By: Herbal - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 17:23

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 17:23
haha...read it and weep :)

It can be done... But don't be fooled, it takes some big changes in life style and attitudes...but it can be done !

As I have mentioned before...everything I have that can be recharged is now recharged from my 10 watt solar garage setup. That means if my mobile phone needs charging and I don't have sun, then I don't make phone calls...Tell that to ya kids and see how long ya live :) Don't get me wrong, if I need to use mains power I do. But I have made a clear line in the sand between "need" and "want". We are not talking mega bucks, but I have reduced my bills from $350 plus to sub $100... But I do use more gas which is $20 for a 9kg refill which does cooking and hot water for a good 6 to 8 weeks... 10% of what I save !!

I know we are going way off topic... but hey, it is my topic :)

The hardest part I found was the shower... One day I say the hot water is OFF... 2 days later I say this is nonsense...3 days later I am saying this is just stupid... 4 days later I am saying oh no I have to boil up 10 litres of water this is not working... 5 days later and I say I think I will have a shower better pop on some water... and by day 7 it seems quite normal....Now almost 10 months later it is very, very normal to me....I have everything anyone else has. I have a hot shower once or twice a day. I have my mobile phone and laptop PC. I watch TV...and I even leave my front light on all night.

Mind you, I am on my own...No wife, no kids...so when I say the TV is off, it IS off... :) When I say that light is off, it IS off :)
FollowupID: 800081

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 18:27

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 18:27
My last two quarterly electricity bills have both been about $60 each.
Two of us in the house, no gas, 4 air-conditioning units, swimming pool, and all the other power hogs that you can think of.
Mind you, I do have a solar hot water system, 2 solar space heating units and a grid connected PE system.
My annual bill for hot water is normally less than a dollar, and the last bill was for just 11 cents, the winter one is normally a bit more.
Most of the real cost that we might have paid is returned to us in solar input credits.
FollowupID: 800086

Follow Up By: Herbal - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 18:38

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 18:38
Yeah...11 cents is OK for people like you with money...but what about us common people ? :) haha

I wonder if I could connect my 10 watt garage setup to the main grid ?... I might need a bigger fuse...hang on, I aint got a fuse...I might need a fuse...

Bunnings might have a big enough fuse :)

FollowupID: 800088

Sponsored Links