evakool fridge owners.

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 15:14
ThreadID: 10476 Views:5537 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
After looking at all the posts here and speaking with several retailers I wanted to ask any one who has or still owns either the RF47 or ED50 a couple of questions.
1) Have you had one warp.
2) Does it cut out when 4wding on an angle if so is it a problem.
3) After a steep hill do they make noise( eg oil running in/out of where it should be in the compressor)
4) How do the handles stand up being used as tie down points.

I dont think these are real problems, maybe happened to a friend of a friend type stories but still thought I'd ask.

I have had people try and sell me nearly every thing with out answering questions, because they dont know the answers maybe ?

Cheers Ben
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:15

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:15
Hi Ben,
I have the ED40 Evakool.
I bought it last July and it has been on a few camping trips. So far it has performed flawlessly. I don't use the handles as a tiedown because I had heard that this was a weak point. Usually it is packed in with enough gear to stop it rolling around anyway but i do put an occy strap over it from the cargo barrier to the vehicle tiedowns in the back.

I haven't had any strange noises after climbing hills or cut out yet. Maybe I don't pick steep enough hills :).

What warps? The lid? I haven't seen anything like that either.

So far I am happy with my purchase, except when it works too well and freezes the beer or lettuce. But that's just a matter of getting the hang of adjusting it correctly.

I don't think you would be disappointed with one if you have the same experiences as me with it.

Cheers
waynepd
%
%:-)
%
AnswerID: 46465

Reply By: rors101 - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:19

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 16:19
I have a 70l with the frezer - however they have the same australian spec danfoss (db10?) compressor as does some other leading brands auto fridge, tralblazer?...(Im told the waco's even with the same danfos compressor arn't as good due to lower spec euro compressor - can handle less heat?)

1 - No being fibreglass outside shell is ridgid. I stand on mine from time to time.
2 - Never noticed if it has - even in my yaght healed over 30+ degrees no problems.
3 - Never happened to me?
4 - In the 4by I use tube tape to strap down with turn bukles to tighten. Under the corners i put in soft rubber packers (round black squishy stuff used to lag pupes or pad roof racks)

If i can afford the space i add a 9l container with water and 5% meths to the freezer section to turn it in to a eutectic fridge. ie an ice battery.
AnswerID: 46467

Reply By: joeblogs - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 18:17

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 18:17
Hi Ben I have a ED70 and have had all soughts of problems with the lid warping. I have sent it back 3 times to factory, they add another latch and another hinge and send it back.THis is the fourth time it has been sent back and I dont believe it runs efficiently either. I have a 125ahr Marine battery and after getting it cold on 240 volts ac it runs for approx 40 hours before 11volts is read at battery.I hope they get it right this time and if they have not I will sell and buy a waeco.
AnswerID: 46483

Follow Up By: Ben - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 18:41

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 18:41
Thanks guys, hopfully i get a few more replies before i make my mind up.
Cheers Ben
FollowupID: 308380

Reply By: David N. - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:14

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:14
Have the 70 litre, and can honestly say it's perfect. Gets a lot of use by myself, my sons, and often mates, and has run flawlessly for a couple of years now- way more efficient than my best mates Waeco. Mine has done plenty of serious 4WDing.
My #2 son has it up the coast now -he's camping with 6 mates -still in his break from university- and he says out of the four fridges up there he's the only one with ice-cold beer. They all want to use his fridge! The others are 3-way (useless) and Waeco's. (It's been bloody hot here lately!)
Like I said- can't fault it.
AnswerID: 46526

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:47

Thursday, Feb 12, 2004 at 22:47
Hi Ben
I have a RF47 Fanatstic so far
1 No
2 No
3 No Done a bit in the High Country rough, steep, river crossings,
4 seem OK I brought 4 special corners they sell these stop the fridge moving around side ways etc, screwed to the ply base over the drawers ( no fridge slide yet) use Occy strap from handle & it hooks around the corner fittings, I also put 2 strips of 1/4" thick rubber underneath.

I brought the RF model because it is a Duel Temp Fridge / Freezer
Ed50 etc generally work either as a fridge or freezer depending on the temperature setting.
Have used it on 40 deg days & seems OK the only thing I found it did keep the fridge section colder if I took out the movable divider, frozen food in Freezer section stayed frozen Ok and the fridge section stayed cold given that we were opening it a bit getting cold drinks & adding warm ones.
I also use a Temp Gauge from Dickie Smith to monater the temp and alter the settings to suit, 2nd battery would run the unit for about 24 hours if we stayed in camp for a day.

CheersPrado TD Auto
AnswerID: 46542

Follow Up By: Ben - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:54

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:54
Thanks for the info guys.
Cheers Ben
FollowupID: 308457

Reply By: Allan-TPWA - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:35

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:35
I have had an ED50 for 3 years and live in the Pilbara WA. It is used outside as a beerfridge and in the back of a Hilux for 4wd trips. It is strapped down by its handles. I haven't had any problems as you mention, I do drive up a lot of steep hills, no problems. I have only had problems with the power supply converter that evakool supplyed. I am on my 3rd as the others keep failing.

Over Xmas I had the glass fuse holder melt down on the fridge and cut supply to the fridge. I did have the fridge on boost on setting 7 full of hot beer and food, it was also 40 +. The fuse holder was rated at 6.3 amps and on boost the fridge draws 6 amps. I replaced the fuse holder with the plastic colured auto type, see how we go.

Allan
AnswerID: 46757

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:42

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:42
Ben,
contact the World Health Organisation here in Australia and ask the specific question "is it correct that fibreglass is going to be banned as a food handling material due to the probability of it being classed as a carsenegenic material"
Apparently most cold chain legislation usually states this now. I overheard this information when a friend was asking about fibreglass ice box.
AnswerID: 47647

Reply By: Member - phillip- Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 22:17

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 22:17
Ben
have had a Evacool 60 litre since '99. Compresser failed after 2 yrs -replaced under warranty. no probs since. Despite this - consider it a Great fridge - wouldnt go back to Engel or 3 way (havehad them all), though suspect Engel is better unit now,value for money dont think you can go much past the Evacool.

Ferget the BS about carcinogens re fiber glass - what a load!!!! Just dont chew on it if you run out of food - I cant believe people subscribe to such extreme views. the Latte set is taking over - sadly they couldnt organise the proverbial coupling in a house of ill repute,so the future looks bleak.

Phil
AnswerID: 47951

Sponsored Links