Kayaks on side of motorhome?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 20:59
ThreadID: 104767 Views:1997 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
As some of you may have seen (thanks to a recent post), we have just bought a big blue bus and will be doing lots of travelling in her.
Now the bus is 2m wide and the legal road limit on width I believe is 2.5m.
We have two 4m long kayaks and were wondering about the best place to carry them when I thought of using the drivers side of the bus - there are no doors on that side at all and I was considering making up a couple of vertical rails attached to side of bus with right angled brackets that slot into the rails to hold the kayaks - when not carrying kayaks brackets could be removed.
The kayaks are 35cm in depth so I figure that I am well within the 2.5m limit.
Can anyone see any problem with this?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 21:19

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 21:19
As long as you don't want to put an awning on the other side.

PeterH
AnswerID: 519881

Follow Up By: aljenau - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 21:30

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 21:30
very good point - forgot that bit lol
Thanks
FollowupID: 800189

Reply By: John and Regina M - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 22:15

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 22:15
I am led to believe max width has nothing to do with it.

It's all about how far they protrude outside the edge of the bus.

Cop magnet.
AnswerID: 519882

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 23:47

Thursday, Oct 17, 2013 at 23:47
Aljenau - Yes, everything is wrong with your idea of carrying kayaks on the side of the bus.

1. These will be classed as a "projecting load". Loads are not allowed to project more than 150mm from the main part of the body work. (mirrors aren't counted)

2. If your vehicle is modified by the addition of rails and brackets to the body work, your vehicle will have to undergo inspection to ensure it complies with the relevant ADR's (where applicable) or the Motor Vehicle Standards applicable in the state where the vehicle is registered.
Projecting additions added to bodywork after the vehicle has been inspected, measured, and registered, are not approved.

You have to imagine all the conditions you may encounter with this modification - particularly travelling at night. Other motorists expect bodywork to protrude evenly each side from the headlight or clearance light positions, and may misjudge your vehicle width in passing at night, and collide with the projecting kayaks.

All vehicles that are ADR compliant need to have front, side, and rear clearance lights fitted if they exceed 2.1M in width.
All non-ADR compliant vehicles need to have clearance lights fitted if they exceed 2.2M in width.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 519886

Reply By: aljenau - Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 00:23

Friday, Oct 18, 2013 at 00:23
Thank you all for this - back to the drawing board for me
AnswerID: 519887

Sponsored Links