Anyone driving Melbourne to Tas Shortly?

Submitted: Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 20:36
ThreadID: 104816 Views:1874 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All. I was wondering if anyone is travelling across to Tasmania in the next several weeks, with a tow ball?
I have a buyer for my camping trailer, in Tas, but the Spirit of Tasmania want to charge a horrendous amount to send the trailer unaccompanied. The cheapest way they suggested was to find someone travelling across, and pay the trailer cost. (Plus a small fee for your trouble).

If anyone happens to be travelling in this rough timeframe and wouldnt mind assisting, please send me a message.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 20:47

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 20:47
bigfut
Is the sale genuine? It is good if it is but be aware it may not be so.
There has been a few who want to buy but are on an oil rig etc. You send, but no money goes your way.

Genuine ones mostly travel over here and bring a tow ball with them.
AnswerID: 520132

Reply By: bigfut - Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 20:50

Monday, Oct 21, 2013 at 20:50
Hi Ross,
I've had a few of these oil rig scams too! The buyer is genuine, paying into my paypal account, but due to the costs for him to sail over with a car, then back with a car and trailer worked out to be $7-800. He is buying it on a budget, so I am trying to help him out.

Thanks for your help
AnswerID: 520134

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 07:15

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 07:15
Hi bigfut
2 options:
buy a bigger snorkel for the car and drive.
Or maybe see if you can get it on a truck returning. Some trucker may be happy to do it for a small fee.

Geoff
FollowupID: 800563

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:50

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:50
Be wary of the Paypal transaction also, the can also be cons, here are just two popular examples:

1/The scammer pays you with a hacked Pay Pal account, the money goes in to your account, then once you send the item the real account holder reports the theft and Pay Pal debits the money from your account. Now you have NO money and NO merchandise.

2/ The oldest scam in the book is where the scammer sends you MORE money than you asked for. They will then apologize and say that they made a mistake but if you could please just wire the balance to their “shipping agent” through Western Union they will arrange a pickup. You do this, then the scammer files a charge-back with Pay Pal saying their account has been hacked, and that they never intended to send you any money. Pay Pal then turns around and debits the money from your account. This one really puts the SUCKER stamp one your forehead because now what happened is that you just sent the merchandise PLUS your own money to the scammer using another fake name through Western Union. How will you EVER live that down? Oh, wait…fortunately you read this article and you wont get stung! You are now SMART instead of STUNG!

Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 520168

Follow Up By: Jacko84 - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:51

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:51
i'll second this - i was selling a car 2 years back and had similar dealings. the 'buyer' would only communicate via text or email, kept telling me how busy he was and could inspect the car, didnt haggle over the price at all. when i tried to call back on the mobile number in the text, i got the 'this number is not connected' business. fortunately thats as far as i took it, after a bit of research i found similar info to what Leigh has written in point 2.

Good luck!
FollowupID: 800763

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:01

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:01
We are going over there Christmas and new year and returning on the 4TH. Not. Just remember that I wont be taking any responsibility for any inspections and just have the standard flat 7 pin connector and a 2" ball. No time for driving all over the place but it would be nice if it was convenient to the ferry.

Phil
AnswerID: 520169

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 07:41

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 07:41
Bigfut

How did you go?

Phil
AnswerID: 520309

Reply By: bigfut - Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 19:35

Friday, Oct 25, 2013 at 19:35
Thanks everyone for your posts. The buyer ended up picking up. Thanks again.
AnswerID: 520345

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 05:32

Saturday, Oct 26, 2013 at 05:32
Good to hear but some of the scam watch doomsday sayers of EO will be dissapointed there was no drama consistent with their forecasts.
FollowupID: 800803

Sponsored Links