Funny sights at the camping grounds!..Lol.

Submitted: Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 20:26
ThreadID: 104904 Views:3753 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
A young couple setting up there annexe off a early model millard van, had us in stitches last weekend,..He was standing on a plastic chair to connect the slide to the van rail, next minute he was AoverZ chair on top of him, and then she was calling him all the dumb arses under the sun..lol.,finally got that sorted and then time to put the poles up, Well more drama !!,they had the pointy end going in the ground ..lol,..How do you tell them its all arse up?,..That poor Bugger got slapped around the ears for a couple of hrs I can tell you....But they got there and enjoyed a beer and laugh later on...But to make it more interesting a guy around the corner was having dramas with changing the wheel on his van, and went to his aid, he had a jack from Noahs Ark and it was just to long!, he had dug a bloody great hole up close to the inside of the wheel trying to get this old monster under the axle managed to get it there but then ran out of stroke so the wheel is still on the ground,To make things worse he got the craps and stormed off into the van to get a drink and next minute the jack has spat out from under the axle as he only had it half on.lol...So this wheel is now in a two ft hole..lol....More digging and a modern jack and some timber blocks got him sorted but man I was trying to relax for a day or two..lol.

Cheers Axle,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 23:29

Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 23:29
One I still laugh at was back in the late 80's in the Uluru (or Ayers Rock as it was then) campground. We were on Motorbikes (towing a light weight trailer), and were traveling light, as were most in the campground. Cooking and dining was a rough & ready fare.

Just before dusk these two families turned up with vehicles and trailers with everything that opened and shut, and proceeded to set up the full dining expereince, with mutiple bbq's, two long tables, more chairs than you can poke a stick at, tablecloths, plates, cutlery, wine glasses, wine coolers, multi-coloured bowls, every kitchen and dining gadget under the sun, and a swear there was a candelabra or two there as well as two of those gas mantles on extension poles in the middle of both the tables.

To say the rest of the campers were looking on with wry amusement would be an understatment. A few of us went up to make light conversation and ask about the set up, but they made it clear they didn't want to talk to or associate with the 'pleb' campers.

They'd just finished cooking all the meat and had laid it out with all the salads, bread rolls, wine and beers when one of the gas lights blew it's top and proceeded to shoot a flame an impressive 10-15 feet into the air. We all watched this for a little while until some enterprising bloke from a few campsites down ran up with one of those powder fire extinguishers and proceede to hose the whole lot down. He got the fire out, but lets say the evenings 'fare' that haden't been blown off the table was covered by a thick layer of white dust, and totally ruined.

Most of the campers around them offered sympathy and some of thier feed, however I suspect most of us were secretly laughing our arses off inside.

AnswerID: 520553

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 13:36

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 13:36
Hi Scott,

A very similar experience happened at Dalhousie Springs quite a few years ago, well before NPWS turned it into a maze of camping corrals that you can't find your way around in the dark.

We'd pulled in and set up camp reasonably early after several days crossing the Simpson from east to west, had already had an encounter with the warm and soothing waters, and were sitting around chatting when four very new vehicles, all with camper trailers, proceeded to circle the wagons, setting up a deluxe dinner-setting in the centre of the rectangle formed by the four vehicle/trailer combinations, also with tables, chairs, fine food and the obligatory gas lights on extension poles, not to mention blue tarps overhead that covered their entire campsite.

My wife was sitting in her chair facing the deluxe set-up, but with several other camps between us and them. Suddenly things got VERY bright, with the glow reflected off one of our vehicles. My wife ran for our car and grabbed a woollen blanket to smother the flames, forgetting that we even had a fire extinguisher. I took off after her, grabbing our extinguisher from cargo barrier of the 'Cruiser on the way past - probably even running over the top of her - and getting to the fire to find there was a gas leak at the join between gas bottle and extension pole, where the gas had ignited and flames were licking at the tarp over the top of the whole set-up.

With the dining area, four vehicles, four camper trailers and their contents, including untold fuel, all at risk, all I could see was the fire. I just hit the extinguisher trigger and was gobsmacked to see the fire instantly extinguished - poof! I was pumping so much adrenaline, I'm not even sure I was aware even then that I'd coated the entire dinner with "dry powder".

It turned out that the group did have extinguishers, or at least one, but that was tucked away in a "safe place" where it couldn't be readily accessed. With close to $500 - $750K's worth of vehicles and gear, I hope they weren't too upset at the spoiled food, but honestly, that was the least of my (and I hope, their) worries!

It could certainly have been a far worse outcome!

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 801050

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 00:20

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 00:20
The difference between you and me is Axle, you stood there and had a great laugh where as I would have gone over with a couple of beers and gave him a hand, I hope you got great enjoyment out of someone else's misery.

Phil
AnswerID: 520554

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 06:28

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 06:28
"More digging and a modern jack and some timber blocks got him sorted but man I was trying to relax for a day or two..lol."

Must be too late in the night to read fully

FollowupID: 801019

Follow Up By: Penchy - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 07:46

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 07:46
Agreed. The number of retirees I have seen in van parks sitting in their chairs with drinks in hand watching someone else struggle with tents/poles/awnings or whatever means I keep driving when I see them bogged/changing flats or whatever is giving them grief on the side of the road.
FollowupID: 801021

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:22

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:22
There's two sides to this .... I remember a family of campers turning up after dark in a CP in Geradlton with a bit of a blustery wind blowing. The tent was one of those thingies with multiple flexi poles of various length that had to be threaded through eyelets and locators and crossed over umpteen times. After watching them struggle for about 10 mins and going nowhere with anemic torches, I wandered over to offer assistance. The offer was turned down with a gruff "we gotta figure this thing out ourselves" - turned out they'd never set the tent up before. I eventually stood near them with a brighter torch so they could see better, but it was touch and go whether they would get it up or heave it over the fence in a fit of rage. They eventually succeeded after about 45 mins. This and the comments above highlight 2 basic maxims about camping ...

1. make sure you practice the set up BEFORE your 1st night on the road and leading to:

2. make sure you're capable of setting it up on your own.

We all would like to offer assistance, however if your set up is too complicated / difficult to set up on your own (or with partner / family) - ditch it and look for something simpler. It's unreasonable and impracticable to expect assistance every time you set up.
FollowupID: 801036

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 13:28

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 13:28
hi all
these unfortunate people fall foul of salesmen at caravan/camping shows and shops
who quickly realise after a short chat that they are gullible and know nothing about what is best
they get talked into buying everything that opens and shuts
all sorts of camp aid gimmicks and thinga-me-bobs and the difficult tents and /or annexe that the experienced person would shy clear of and wouldn't take a second look at or has been a shop demo at a very special discounted price with the instructions missing
because those in the know wouldn't touch it with a forky stick
off the $ deleted poor buggers they go without attemping to have a dummy run at home. they usually lob somewhere they've never been before just on dark to sort through the maze of the unknown and try and put it together without a clue how or where to start and most of the seasoned campers sit back and let them struggle curse and swear
but the fact is most of us have had the same problem way back when we were starting out
if your honest
apart from the odd one who will offer advice a decent or extra light or hands -on help
most aussie's sit back with beer and wine in hand and laugh their butts off 'cause taking the pee out of others is what makes aussie's what we are
I don't think the above will ever change much like said above by others you can offer your help to some and they will great fully except
but a lot are so stubbornly too proud and would rather make real fools of themselves than be seen to be weak and receiving help
it's a male ego thing got to prove themselves even if it takes half the night
guess that's how the whole scenario has evolved over time
that's life
cheers
FollowupID: 801049

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 21:34

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 21:34
Hey Scott,

there is at least one more maxim of camping..
3. Keep a sense of humour

and I believe in one more
1A. Try to help others when you can - karma sometimes has a way :)

Also, I must say as an experienced camper of 20 years, against my usually better judgement I also ran into the trap of not setting everything up at home first recently. So I'd set up the OzTent & awning (normally using a swag but needing something more substantial for my ex MIL's visit). But the late purchase of extra awning & "deluxe sides" made me lazy thinking I'd worry about this if needed... so getting into Wilpena after dark on a drizzly, breezy winter night, ex MIL & I were left to set up the full thingy, sides, awning & all in the dark, wind & rain. We did eventually get there -accompanied by much laughing. Perhaps sense of humour should actually be camping requirement #1 (for me at least!)
For my next trick...
FollowupID: 801081

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 23:39

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 23:39
Vicki, definitely agree - forgot the sense of humour :-)

FollowupID: 801086

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 14:04

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 14:04
A few years ago we had set up the vans adjacent to the tent area at Bremer Bay and as usual at around 4.30-5.00pm were sitting with ninks and dribblies, just enjoying the last of the afternoon light.
Along came a near new 4wd, a young couple and a brand new tent, one of those that magically expand once it comes out of the bag.
The young man obviously wanting to show off his prowess in tent erecting grabbed the bag, pulled out the tent and as it exploded up to full size, it whacked the lady friend full in the face and it all finished up with her flat on her back on the ground with the relatively large tent on top.
Just as well that the neighbouring campers were of broad mind as she gave him a real serve, calling him all kind of unpleasant things and warning of dire consequences once she got out from under.
Mind you, he didn't help the situation by standing there laughing at her predicament before helping her out from under.
I bet he was on short rations for a few days or weeks.

Disco.
AnswerID: 520574

Sponsored Links