GPS navigation

Good morning all
I have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that "she who will be obeyed" is correct. I'm dumb
When I try to use my navigator to take me somewhere via GPS points I find that different sites have different ways of showing the longitude and latitude. Some use a couple of number followed by a longer number and some use a nmber that has the degree, then minutes, then seconds or something.
Is there a simple way to input whatever is shown so that different navigators can take the information. IE: do you just ignore the minutes and seconds or do you do split up the numbers when the second set of numbers is just one long number?
See I'm proving again that "she etc" is correct
Regards
PeterM Qld
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:30

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:30
Isn't it a pain.

David put together a conversion tool on this site somewhere. That may help. Try in the Articles menu. I doubt if you will find a simple way. Everyone's way is simple to them and they wont change. You may as well ask for a universal Earth Dollar currency.

The more detail you leave off the coordinated, the greater the error. You could end up kilometers away from where you wanted to be. The more digits you have the better the chance of arriving on the front door step as opposed to the center of town.

Are you talking of Ozi or the like? ie Offroad? It may help someone with more thall in the program than simple user me.

Phil
AnswerID: 520559

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:33

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:33
Aaaaagggghhhh Editor

"with more thall in the program"

should have read

"with more skill in the program".

How the hell did I make that one!!!!

Phil
FollowupID: 801024

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:37

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:37
If you are using a Garmin Nuvi there is a button at the bottom of the screen which changes the input requirement from minutes etc to the decimal.

I just found it the other day myself.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 520560

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:47

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:47
Most navigators and Ozi explorer, if using it, has a configuration menu somewhere which allows changes to way Lat and Long are used.

Changing the format is usually a very simple task and will save conversion from Decimal degrees to Degrees/minutes/seconds etc.

For accuracy you have to take the format into account. If you are only after a general direction just the degrees maybe enough to get you near where your memory can take over. Depends on whether you have been there before or trying to go to a new spot told to you in lat and long.

Alan
AnswerID: 520561

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:31

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:31
For Ozi input and display see File --> Configuration --> MAPS --> Lat Long Display.

Is that the one?

Not needing it I have never fiddled with it. I tend to use Ozi just to display a map and then I follow the "line on the screen".Well that is basically it. So I hope the function I found will help.

Phil
FollowupID: 801029

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:37

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:37
Yes that is the one

Alan
FollowupID: 801031

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:49

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:49
You have me intrigued Alan. I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Are you talking about marine navigation or on land. I am imagining you entering a coordinate of 20d 14mi 54se for Well 48 as your destination. With you sitting at Billiluna there would be a straight line across the desert to Well 48. How would you know which track near Stretch lagoon. I don't think I would like to drive a straight line in that area.

How do you use the coordinates for navigation in Ozi?

My mind is giving me a picture of those Asian tourists who just followed the GPS into Moreton bay a few years back. Gotta laugh at it mate.

This may be a little OT so if you want to email then use: vk1pj@bigpond.com. I don't mind. Some others may be curious. We may even learn something.

Phil
FollowupID: 801033

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:19

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:19
Hello Phil

I often use the straight line distance to a point as a guide to how far I have left to go to reach my destination...so when you are on an established track/road with no where else to go (or you know where to go) its use is not really for "navigation" as such. Obviously the distance may not be that accurate if the track doesn't go straight to where you are headed but a guide none-the-less.

However, in OziExplorer, if you have the time, it is possible to assign voice instructions to specific waypoints at track junctions (for example), when you reach the waypoint the GPS will play "turn right", "turn left", "veer left" etc etc depending on what you assigned. So while it wont navigate you along the track itself ...at the tricky points it can be used for this purpose. You have to do this on the PC version of Ozi and then transfer waypoints to your CE version. I am not sure if the Android version supports this function as yet.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 801042

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:39

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:39
I did that proximity trigger thing on a family trek to Cape York to point out scenery, historical stuff, tracks through a creek crossing to not fall in a hole, camping etc. But I don't think that I would go to that trouble again. Took ages.

Still like to see what Alan needs it for.

Phil
FollowupID: 801044

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 17:34

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 17:34
Phil

I wouldn't use it like that on the canning.

I actually navigate using the map and use GPS to confirm my decisions such as which way at an intersection.

If navigation is very tricky, I pull up at each junction and check the map etc. Most of the time, the gps just allows me to glance at the map and get some idea about how far or close I am to the next point of interest.

Have done several rogaines etc and can navigate through the bush with map and compass.

Alan
FollowupID: 801070

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 18:56

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 18:56
It was a bit over the top hey! But I didn't know what you did. I don't bother with that. I have the disatances on a cheat sheet and set one odometer to zero. That'l do me.

Similar here. Use the paper in the background at junctions and just follow the lines on the screen. That's why I like Ozi. Set a track and waypoints if you like. Or plan and just follow the lines.

Rough hey!

Phil

FollowupID: 801076

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:37

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:37
Thank you all
I will now try again and will report back
Regards
PeterM Qld
AnswerID: 520562

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:55

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 09:55
Easy solution, get HER to use the navigator and you take it easy, less brain stress, and yes you do have to set your device to the co ordinate type before entering lat and long.

The device isn't sexist and will accept either gender pushing it's buttons although some genders don't like their buttons pushed.
AnswerID: 520564

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:12

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:12
Good idea, BUT what happens when the navigator is turned upside down like when she used to try to read maps (I know what happens to the display it moves too) but I can see it sailing out the window because it is impossible to read. Her probable words.
I have just tried to use the co-ordinator calculators mentioned and they seem to be great.
You people are amazing
Regards
Stay safe and stay well
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 801034

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 22:25

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 22:25
Peter M
Always best to have the window down when that situation arises. A tad less expensive.
FollowupID: 801083

Reply By: Brian 01 - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:56

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:56
There is unfortunately no easy way to do it unless you have an Excel program or the like.
To manually convert decimal degrees to degrees minutes and seconds, you leave the whole degrees alone and multiply the point and the bit after the point by 60 to get the minutes. If that result also produces a bit after the point, you multiply that by 60 to get the seconds.
Edit, I see the forum can't handle the degrees sign, so just take those ° below to be the degrees signs
For instance:-
Take 138.162°
The 138 becomes the degrees.
Multiply the 0.162 by 60 = 9.72
The 9 becomes the minutes
Multiply the 0.72 by 60 = 43.2
The 43.2 become the seconds.You can round out the 0.2 for our purposes
So 138.162° = 138° 9' 43"
You can't afford to ignore the minutes and seconds. a second is roughly equivalent to 31 metres in distance.
In the above example, ignoring the seconds would put you off target by 1.3 kilometres, and ignoring both minutes and seconds would see you miss by over 18 kilometres.

To go the other way is more complicated because a minute is 1/60th of a degree and a second is 1/3600th of a degree.
Try taking 138° 9' 43" back to decimal degrees.

You still keep the whole degrees = 138
Now divide the minutes by 60 = 9/60 = 0.15
Then divide the seconds by 3600 = 43/3600 = 0.012 (rounded to 3 decimal places)
Now add them all together, 138 plus 0.15 plus 0.012 = 138.162°

I have written a 2 way Excel conversion where you just enter the co-ordinates in the format that you have and it gives you the conversion in either direction.
I am happy to share with anyone who desires it, but can't load it on here, so would have to Email it.

AnswerID: 520565

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:04

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:04
Thank you
I would like the XL format, please email to:
pmillar6@bigpond.com
Many thanks
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 801039

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:29

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:29
Hi

It is far easier to just change the coordinate format on the GPS to match your data than converting individual points using Excel...same for most GPS mapping programs..just change the format to match your data.

Most GPS mapping programs such as OziExplorer also have the facility to import/export data in any coordinate format using any datum so if you have lots of data much easier to import as a text file in one hit. This may require a bit of stuffing around in excel to get data in correct columns but easy once you get the hang of it. If you don't have OziExplorer etc then suppose some sort of conversion program is the next best thing.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 801043

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:48

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:48
That's fine if the GPS has that facility, unfortunately many don't.
FollowupID: 801045

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:55

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:55
Yeah - use best available option for your circumstances. Just keep in mind there maybe much easier options e.g sell your dis-functional GPS and buy a proper one :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 801046

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 13:18

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 13:18
Linked the thread to the Coordinates Converter - this will take any format and give you all available output formats plus confirm the location on a map image.

Good luck.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520571

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 14:22

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2013 at 14:22
That's a good link.
I notice that a few on there were after an app that would work on an Android.
I use the Excel converter that I mentioned a few post ago on my Android with no problems at all.
You first need to download an App to handle Excel, and something like the free Kingsoft Office allows you to use Excel, Word, etc on the android.
FollowupID: 801051

Sponsored Links