Learner drivers

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 15:12
ThreadID: 104972 Views:6443 Replies:4 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Recently was having a discussion with a driving instructor. As learners are suppose to drive on the open road so many hours, I bought up the use of cruise control, and how a young kid in my car wanted to use it. I would not let the young one, as I feel they should know how to control their own foot use, before using an aid.
Driving instructor said to let the kid use it as often as they want to. She encourages her students to use it as soon as they hit open road.

What are some thoughts here? Use cruise control, or teach the kid how to control their foot use first?

I think a basic maintanece course should also be included in the course of learning. Many out there don't know how to check tyres, fluids, etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 15:34

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 15:34
Did you also teach the young one the intracacies of starting a vehicle with an auto choke?
did you teach them how to reverse park in a vehicle with no power steering? did you get them to train in the gym doing leg presses to be able to stop a 4 wheel drum braked vehicle? did you get them eating carrots daily so they didnt have to rely on the feeble headlights of the older vehicles to see at night?

I could go on but that probablly the point made
AnswerID: 520790

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:03

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:03
Difference is not all cars have cruise control. Generally all have those features you have mentioned.
Soon he will get that which you have mentioned though. He is restoring an old FB.
FollowupID: 801327

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 15:45

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 15:45
Gday,
If they cant use their feet, they need to be taught how.......if they can.....let them use it??????
"I think a basic maintanece course should also be included in the course of learning. Many out there don't know how to check tyres, fluids, etc."
I don't think they should have to do any courses at all.........that's what we have parents for?
You obviously mix in different circles than me........everyone I know can check pressures and fluids????
AnswerID: 520793

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:08

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:08
Yep. Different crowd. Most of the p platers here do not seem to know much. I had one drive here the other week as he did not know how to change his flat.
I'm trying to teach another how, as his car has been sitting a month in the driveway with a flat. He never has the time. (ie, just waiting for me to do it for him)

Lots of single parents, with a lot of them not knowing, or not have the time to teach.
FollowupID: 801328

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:22

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:22
I think parents, single or not, need to find the time rather than putting the responsibility on someone else.
My daughter has her log book and will be legally allowed to drive on her own very shortly.........Ive already told her......legal or not......Ill let her drive on the road when I think she is confident enough, not when someone who has been in the car with her once says so.
Id be happy if you could go guarantor for you kids rather than all the bull bleep exams , tests ,log books and money. If you kid is caught doing something stupid or dangerous......you pay the price.
FollowupID: 801332

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:29

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:29
By course, I don't nessacerally mean a course at school/tafe etc. I just meant a spot in the book, where it can be signed off, that the kid has at least been shown/taught how to do those things that are needed to keep a vehicle running smoothly.
I know a lot of parents who don't know how to do many things.
FollowupID: 801333

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:32

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:32
Maybe not being able to keep a vehicle on the road is natures way of keeping the dumb or lazy ones off the road......LOL
FollowupID: 801335

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:33

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:33
Another thing they don't teach is using the gears for hill descents. In fact some instructors teach them to rely on their brakes alone. This leads to many arriving at the bottom of descents with very smelly and not very effective caravan brakes.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 801336

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:46

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:46
Driving instructors don't have to repair or pay for the repair of your kids brakes........... They also don't have to worry every time that licence holder doesn't come home on time.........or pay for the damage or injuries. That's while I think parents should be doing the teaching and deciding when their kids can drive.
All instructor's have to do is tick the boxes to make it legal.......and who says the instructors are good drivers? Ive never even seen them drive????
FollowupID: 801337

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:08

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:08
Most driving instructors may know the road rules and basic car control but most are not very capable drivers at all.

Most have never done a skilled driving test. They can't Hendon style steer, stab brake, now done by ABS and have rarely if ever done a crash stop for themselves, let alone tech the skill to someone else.
They impart licence gaining skills that is all.
FollowupID: 801340

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:51

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:51
The problem with Mum and Dad being the driving instructors is they get to pass on their own bad habits along with the good.
As has been said a lot of the accredited instructors are teaching kids how to pass an exam not good driving habits.
IMHO an advanced driving course should be mandatory for any one getting a licence for the first time.
Cruise control is no different to many of the other features built into a lot of the modern vehicles. The new RAV4 the wife has just got has all sorts of wizz bang gadgets that the 2001 Dunnydore didn't. Reversing cameras, reversing sensors, cruise control (so did the Commodore) key less entry and start, auto headlights and wipers and so on. All handy in their own way but none make the driver any less likely to have an accident. Well apart from the reversing camera and sensors but don't tell her I said so (;=))
Cruise control is about as handy as an ash tray on a motor bike when driving around built up areas where speed limits vary with regularity.
Let the young driver learn how to control a vehicle and try to instil good common sense before relying on electronics to do all the decision making. All my kids, boys and girls were taught how to check tyre pressures and fluid levels and how to change a flat tyre. Unfortunately they weren't born with that knowledge.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 801342

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:57

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:57
who says its just kids?

we recently did a driving course at work to tick some OHS box

anyway one thing we were doing was changing a tyre.

One of the guys had to be mid to late 20s was standing back and not partiipating

we picked straight up on this and got it out of him hed never changed a tyre nor had any clue how.

He was from Britain though....
FollowupID: 801346

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 20:53

Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 20:53
aaaah, the "dumb ole foreigner" one eh? always the foreigner that gets stuck in the outback or sand or slams doors and makes a racket with their Britz campers. It might just be because he doesn't drive much because they have such a thing as public transport in his country. I bet he knows how to tackle a roundabout and doesn't dawdle for 26 ks in the outside lane because he'll eventually turn right. Probably knows what the rear view mirror is for too and gets pi$$ed off when there are three cars straddled across three lanes doing the same speed. You probably like to believe it, but Australians are not the best road users around.
FollowupID: 801428

Reply By: Member - johnat - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:23

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:23
Totally agree with you, SDG.
It is all well and good to be able to use the aids when available, but as with automatic transmission, all you are dong is steering. That AIN'T driving!

As mentioned, not all cars have the aids, and to learn to use them as if they were ubiquitous is doing the kid a disservice, IMO.

In order to be able to control the car, first YOU must be in control, and not hand that over to some bit of gadgetry that MAY, or may NOT always work. Not only that, but each model of each marque has a different method of engaging cruise control (and showing the fact) so that to learn to drive one instance is not to know how to use it in all vehicles, even IF they all had it.
AnswerID: 520795

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:30

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 16:30
Gday,
Are we talking about the same sort of cruise control?
Im talking about the ones that just hold a constant speed.......not an auto pilot! LOL
The way it works these days with all the speed cameras around and bugger all tolerance, I reckon not having to worry about your speed gives you one less thing to worry about and more time keeping their eyes on the road and pedestrians.
FollowupID: 801334

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:52

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:52
Hairy, that's all good and well for you and me who KNOW how to drive without the cruise control (and yes, talking about the one that keeps a relatively constant speed ;) ) but a learner driver should learn to drive without such things as cc, traffic warnings, overspeed warnings, because these things are not common in all vehicles and they will, eventually, have to do without them.
The same argument goes for kids learning to do maths, they need to know HOW to do it manually before they are given a calculator. That way they have a check on the "automatic" method in case it goes t!ts-up!
FollowupID: 801343

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:56

Sunday, Nov 03, 2013 at 18:56
The other small problem with our roads and cars that we drive at the moment is the cruise controls don't know how to read a speed limit sign. Still gotta be programmed by the nut behind the wheel....lol.

Yair I know that is coming but not here in good 'ol Oz yet.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 801345

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 20:21

Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 20:21
"Yair I know that is coming but not here in good 'ol Oz yet."
God, I hope not!! Next step from that will be a car that stops you from exceeding the limit regardless of the urgency of the situation!

I just hope it does not eventuate in my lifetime - OTOH, they could install it in all those stupid "Wanker Utes" that never see the dirt road, and cannot handle a bump of more than 3 inches high without bottomiing out, have a gazillion (not-connected) antennae and almost as many useless as all f^&k roof mounted lights.
FollowupID: 801424

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 23:07

Monday, Nov 04, 2013 at 23:07
Nothing wrong with learners using cc but to get a feel for their vehicle and its performance - especially a manual - they need to drive up and down some hills with the cc off. Depending on the particular implementation (programming), terrain, weather conditions etc cc can have a significant (negative) effect on fuel usage - another thing they need to know. Convenience/comfort comes at a cost.
AnswerID: 520868

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 10:08

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 10:08
There are dills everywhere who do not have common sense and cannot or will not take advice.

My mate hired a large Winnebago in NZ and went up and down the hills in top gear. I was in it once coming down from a lookout and he rode the brakes all the way. I thought I diplomatically pointed out that a lower gear would be helpful as brakes get hot but he said it was not necessary.
He now tows a van (a little one; 14 foot) and does the same thing,even up and down Ousley. I always follow him and can see the brake lights are on all the way down hills.

You can't tell some people.....

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 801452

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:09

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:09
Just near here is a downhill section known as Moonbi Hills. The RTA, in their wisdom (?) have elected to place signage at the top of each of the steepish bits to the effect that trucks and buses MUST use low gear. They've also installed a 80 speed limit for these same vehicles.
I've been told by people who should know, that the Police will book any truck/bus that uses brakes down these hills as the assumption is that if brakes are needed, they must NOT be in low gear. I dunno about that, but I've seen B-Double cattle trucks go down there with the brakes on the whole way.

When I drove a small automatic for work (did 100k in just over 2 yrs) I used the "sports" selection in the gearbox and did not need to touch the brakes at all unless I found myself in a queue behind a truck in low gear.
Drivers of automatics should be required to use the gearbox to save the brakes.
FollowupID: 801475

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:20

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:20
brakes are alot cheaper than gearboxes..........

we use gears to slow decent in the underground mine and theres pallets stacked up the LV workshop with stuffed gearboxes
FollowupID: 801477

Sponsored Links