Diff Locks

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 10:01
ThreadID: 104992 Views:2014 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Well ... I had an educational and interesting experience on the weekend.

Went off on a 4WD Club Chrissy do to one of the local 4WD properties and decided to go on a bit of a trip with the lads, as I was keen to get a feel for how well the front/rear lockers worked.

We head up this steep rocky gully (the type where it's usually easy to lift a wheel or two). After a minor error in judgement as to the correct line I find myself at a most alarming angle with nothing to be seen in front of the bonnet except sky and tree tops.
The blokes reckon I had the front passenger wheel so far off the ground they'd hardly need to stoop to access the sump plug for a quick oil change.

All ended well with no damage, but it was certainly educational insomuch as I now know how well lockers work ......... and also interesting in how long it took for my sphincter to release its grip on the seat cover.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 13:52

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 13:52
Yes they can get a vehicle to climb past safe limits, we used to reckon when we were doing 4WD driver training that nobody should use/have them until they had some experience 4wding without them.
The other thing that often happens is when on a slippery spot with a ledge /tree roots/ditch they will often cause the vehicle to go sideways rather than climb the obstacle. Seen a few big creases in the sides of a few 4wd's when somebody puts the boot in and it goes sideways into a tree.
AnswerID: 520888

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 14:13

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 14:13
Very true Peter

I've been driving an assortment of 4WDs for about 40 years, but this is the first with diff locks. It certainly makes a difference and I can easily see how they could lead to disaster in the wrong situation.
FollowupID: 801464

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 21:03

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 21:03
Hi Peter,
I have a V8 Troopy with Toyota electric lockers front and rear. On a number of occasions when running parallel to the sea, along a sloping beach, the back end tends to slide downhill towards the ocean. I took this to be due to a heavy load in the rear of the vehicle. Could it have been the rear lockers causing it to do this?'
Regards Dennis
FollowupID: 801496

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:01

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:01
What have you got Rosco? I have a fulltime locker in the front and haven't found it a great deal different to normal driving.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520901

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:48

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:48
G'day Bonz

Just the standard Tojo electrically activated. Rotary dial on the dash which first engages the rear and then the front, however you can still turn fully to simultaneously engage both front and rear. Warning lights blink until fully engaged and then illuminate continuously.

Certainly seems to work ........... as can be attested by the funny little grip marks on the canvas seat covers ....... ;o)
FollowupID: 801483

Sponsored Links