Patrol door lock not working

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 11:52
ThreadID: 104996 Views:15914 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I have a 2003 Nissan Patrol ST and I'm having a problem with the drivers door.
The electric locking is working on all the doors however the drivers door is playing up.

At the moment its locked and won't open even though the electric lock sounds and looks like its working. Yesterday I managed to get it open by repeatingly locking and unlocking via the switch on the drivers door but today it won't even open doing that.

Has anyone come across this problem and if so any ideas how to fix it. I'm getting a bit jack of having to climb across to the passenger side to get out.

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Herbal - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 12:33

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 12:33
It could be a number of things. So it is hard to actually give a straight answer.

The first thing I would try is WD40 (or similar). Using the thin plastic tube that comes with the WD40, spray a small amount into the lock from the outside. Push the tube into the keyhole. There should be a small plate that will push to one side when you insert the tube. Then insert the key and turn it back a forth a few times.

If the WD40 does not work, then your only real option is to remove the internal panel and take a look. I cannot tell you how to remove the panel because I don't have enough info. If you need help to remove the panel, just reply back with details such as type of window (electric or manual), door mounted speakers etc. Anything that is not normal standard.

Once the panel is off, you will be able to see if anything is broken. You will see a few wire type rods and levers etc. Some of them will be adjustable and sometimes they will come lose and get out of adjustment. With the panel off watch the internals as you try to lock and unlock. Try to pinpoint the rod or lever that operates the lock and see if you can operate it directly by hand, and if you can it might just need adjusting.

Just had another thought...Get the door open, if you can :) You will see the locking mechanism on the door and a D shaped bracket on the body which goes into it when closed...Give them both a spay with WD40. Try that before removing the panel.
AnswerID: 520886

Reply By: Dax29 - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 12:42

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 12:42
Thanks for the quick reply Herbal, will pull it apart and see what I can find and report back. I'm pretty sure its not an issue WD40 will sort out as it seems to move ok so could be something broken
AnswerID: 520887

Follow Up By: Herbal - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 13:07

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 13:07
No worries...You might be surprised at what WD40 might do. These things can be very touchy if a bit of dust or dirt has got in.

I had a similar thing happen a couple of months ago with my bonnet. I could hear and feel the latch release but the bonnet would stay down. I could not for the life of me find the problem. Even WD40 was no good...Then after trying everything else I could think off, I dabbed a small amount of grease on the latch...Problem solved.
FollowupID: 801459

Reply By: Dax29 - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 14:38

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 14:38
Ok so I have sprayed WD40 into the lock with no success. Now my problem is I can't open the door so have no way of being able to remove the cover to get into it to fix whatever is broken.

Any suggestions how I might be able to open the door?
AnswerID: 520896

Follow Up By: Herbal - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 15:33

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 15:33
I have tried Google to get a picture. But not much help. From what I have seen, it will have a door opening handle above the arm rest. The arm rest appears to have master switches for the windows and locking. It appears to have a speaker below the arm rest towards the front. From what I can tell in the pictures I have seen, the front end of the door butts up to the dash board when the door is closed, so you will not be able to remove the trim with the door closed.

The locking latch appears to be about 1/3 of the way down from the top edge of the door trim. It should be the same as the passenger side. First activate the electronic lock a few times to the open position. Once you have made sure that the electric lock is unlocked, pull the manual door opening lever to the open position. (of course you will need to go in from the passenger side for this). Do not apply to much force, you just want it to be in the open position without forcing it. Then, with the palm of your other hand give the door a thump in line with where the latch is. Don't thump it like you want to kill it, but don't be afraid to give it a fair thump if need be...That is, give it a thump whilst holding the manual door lever in the open position.

If that fails...You should be able to remove the backing plate of the manual door lever. It should be held in place with a standard No2 Philips screw. When removed you should be able to see a wire type rod attached behind it. If you can grip that wire with long nosed pliers, you should be able to pull it hard enough to release the locking latch.
FollowupID: 801467

Reply By: Dax29 - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 16:18

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 16:18
So now I've removed the screw holding the inside handle and tried manipulating it about but neither the handle or the door is budging.

Any suggestions or am I up the proverbial creek
Cheers
Dax
AnswerID: 520899

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:09

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:09
Lean on the door while operating the unlock mechanism, that might be enough to open it, then pull it apart. It will definitely need to be open to pull the trim off
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 801474

Follow Up By: Herbal - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:29

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:29
Not up the creek yet :)

I am on the NSW south coast...Maybe there is someone reading this a bit closer to you, that might be able to call in and take a look.

But in the mean time... Are you saying that the handle will not move at all? You need to be able to pull the handle to the open position in order to remove the backing plate. The backing plate will be held in position by little hooks moulded in it's underside, so you might need to use a small screwdriver to ease it out.

If you are saying the handle will not move at all...Are you able to open the window? If you can open the window, you will be able to remove the inner weather shield strip. This will give you more access and better view to see what is causing the blockage...Blockage meaning what might be causing the handle to be jammed.

The weather strip is simply held in place by steel spring clips. With a small screwdriver prize the rear end up and work forward. That is from rear end of car as the front end will be behind the dash with the door closed. Again, be gentle, you don't want to cause damage but don't be afraid to apply enough force the release the spring clips.

It is not a lot of room, but with the weather strip removed you will have 5mm to 10mm of gap to look down and work through. It is not easy for me as I do not know the design of this door, so I cannot be very specific. You might be able to feed a coat hanger type wire down and hook on to the locking latch and release it. Most doors Up is Open...So if you can see the wire rod going from the door handle to the lock and can hook on to it, then pulling it up should open the door.
FollowupID: 801479

Follow Up By: Herbal - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:40

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 17:40
Thanks Bonz...

Try what Bonz says...Force at different angles and different directions might do it. These locks are designed to stop people getting in. Any small thing that does not match the requirements will not allow the lock to open. Even a single grain of sand will be enough for the lock to not open.

FollowupID: 801482

Follow Up By: Dax29 - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 19:16

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 19:16
Thanks again Herbal and Bonz,

I have removed the backing plate but the handle won't move. The window is open so will try the weather strip removal in the morning, have decided a couple of drinks are a lot easier to tackle then this little problem.

Will post how I go tomorrow

Cheers
Dax
FollowupID: 801490

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 18:44

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 18:44
Dax29 - Have a squizz at this Patrol forum thread. I think you'll find your problem in the lock, is the black dowel that the lock pivots on, has snapped, as Cnzboy99 explains.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/drivers-side-door-jammed-locked-78353/
AnswerID: 520903

Follow Up By: Dax29 - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 19:11

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2013 at 19:11
Thanks Ron, I had already seen it and tried all the suggestions but still can't get the door open. That's my immediate problem at present
Cheers
Dax
FollowupID: 801488

Reply By: Dax29 - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 18:17

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 18:17
Hi all

Well Ben at our local locksmith was able to get the door open (He has a Patrol that had the same problem a couple of years ago). Its has a broken part in it so now to get a replacement. Checked the local Nissan dealer and was quoted $303...looks like its off to the wreckers/ebay

Thanks again to everyone for your assistance/ideas
Cheers

Dax
AnswerID: 521049

Reply By: Rob d b. - Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 14:11

Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 14:11
I would install the landcruiser 100 series up grade.

Sorry about the bad joke in advance.

Rob.
AnswerID: 521176

Reply By: Dax29 - Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 15:05

Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 15:05
Ha ha ha funny bugger Rob.... Lol
AnswerID: 521180

Reply By: Benstad M - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 16:57

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 16:57
Hey Dax,,
See there can be different problems with the door but I could be more specific if you could have posted some of the pics, still I'll try to sort it out.
As you depicted in your post its seems like the door lock is some where getting entangled that's why its giving such problems like sometimes its getting opened quickly and sometimes not so its better to check it out by opening the door entirely or you may go to some dealers near by your house, I'm sure he would definitely fix it out.
Click here
AnswerID: 521510

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)