Comment: EOTopo

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:20
ThreadID: 105015 Views:3186 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
EO topo for Memory Map
I love the details of your maps but have standardised on the Memory Map set of apps.
Do you have plans to do a QCT version that could be used for Memory map?
Alternatively do you have a non encrypted version of OzF2 that i could convert?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:45

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:45
Boobook,
We are taking to MM at the moment but this will be some weeks away. On the media are ECW files and OZF4 files the ECW should be able to be converted. Using the PC version of MMap and the 3rd party map license. If you already have these then you should have no problems converting the ECW files.

Hope this helps.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 520939

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 13:20

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 13:20
Thanks David. I do have the import option and have done quite a few imports from various formats.

While Memory map won't import ECW directly I can convert it to say Geotiff then import it.

The next question would be how large are the ECW files. When they are uncompressed they get very large.

For example I have an Australia map which is 700Mb, it won't uncompress and give me an error "Too large for TIFF file format"

FollowupID: 801553

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 13:35

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 13:35
Ah it sounds like you have done all this before. The Australia single file will uncompress to a small 80GB - yes 80GB. It needs some special gdal tools for BIGTiff support and as such you may struggle. The smallest maps for TAS is 1.3GB. I am compressing the Australia file now to send to Memory Map in GeoTiff and will let you know once it is in compressed Tiff format what size it is.

I have had these files reduced using a 256 colour reduction and GeoTiff compression down into the 4GB for the whole of Aust but I was not happy with the 256 colour reduction for my release on ECW and OZF as they work better using the 16million colours and having those tools work out the palette.

I will advise shortly once the compression is done and I will also try a compression with the 256 colour palette and see what comes out.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 801554

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 17:09

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 17:09
Just had a productive conversation with Will from MMap and I am sending over the source data for them to build a release so just give us some time and it will be made available in MMap. More details will follow once it is available.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 801567

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 17:44

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 17:44
Sounds great. I tried making a BigTiff file for my example Australia map that's 700Meg.

My I5 laptop overheated and crashed. It's pleading to me not to do it again....... Must be some serious number crunching going on there.

I would rather buy a properly supported map anyway.

I have been looking at you online version of the 200k and comparing it to 2 versions of the 250K that I have.

I guess the tracks and names are pretty much the same at the moment, but the colours and detail, like dunes and National Parks are quite a bit clearer on yours. It will be a nice product over time, especially when you add your new product next year which I assume will be similar to "places" here. Of course that will work with MM too. ( That's a statement, not question David...)

:-)

FollowupID: 801569

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:39

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:39
Boobook,

Working very hard on all this at the moment and the good news is that the Memory Map version should be available in the DMS mid December just in time for XMAS. I have spent a lot of time talking with MMap and understanding how it all works. The MMap version will be based on 2013.5 yet to be loaded but will have all major (Dual & Principal) road updates in Australia if I can get it finished by the 1 Dec.

There will be an update Feb/March next year but using the MMap DMS this should be a free upgrade as there is no media involved from our end.

We will let you know once it is done but I have some work to do to break up the master images into MMap process-able files and then .qct building.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 521788

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 15:01

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 15:01
Boobook,

Done and now available - the documentation on the Memory Map site is being done but the package download is now available from EOTopo 2014 Starter Pack (or you can see it as a Buying Option in the ExplorOz Shop) for the product.

Enjoy!
David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 522667

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 16:30

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 16:30
Oh yeah and if you do not want to stream the map in you can download the qc3 file (2.3GB) from here: crypt_EOTopo_200K_2014.qc3

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803792

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:58

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:58
David, I am travelling and only have Next g coverage but activated the 3day (!!) demo and it has good colour rendering.

I think I will buy it.
FollowupID: 803799

Sponsored Links