Gps and map apps for ipad

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 22:32
ThreadID: 105028 Views:2572 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm am looking into getting a Bluetooth gps and some maps for my ipad. We are looking to head into more remote places in WA and NT and are interested to know if anyone has had experience with these? Would welcome any input.
Thanks
Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 06:05

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 06:05
Get Memory Map. It is about $6 for the base app then you can add Hema Maps, Outback maps, and Australia wide Topo 250K which is free, even Marine maps if you wish.

You can buy the app then try the maps for free for 10 days, or you can download the PC version for free and try the maps for free.

There is also the Hema Map app, this is a bundled version of Memory Map resold by Hema.

You can also consider Mud Mup, however IMHO it is not appropriate for remote travel as they sell you the otherwise free OpenstreetMaps which is sourced from a contributor website and has thousands of significant errors across remote parts of Australia. I'm sure it is very accurate for the suburbs and very popular places though.

AnswerID: 520999

Follow Up By: Mike & Anne H - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 07:37

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 07:37
Thanks so much for that! That is reinforcing exactly what we were thinking, re the Hema maps etc.....looks like you have a great set up there....we have Tvan also and love it!
FollowupID: 801610

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 07:57

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 07:57
Yeah, I love the Tvan too. It has been to some pretty hairy places without any drama.

Take a look at both HEMA and Memory Map. While they are effectively the same product, the licensing, and way you buy them are quite different.

With Hema you get it for the IPAD, the App and maps are bundled. It is sometimes on sale and you can get 25% off itunes cards at Kamrt etc at times. You can then buy other Memory Map maps, though I am not sure how this is done as I don't have this option. I don't believe there is a PC version in their licensing structure.

Memory Map on the other hand sell the App, or give away the PC program. You can buy various maps for PC only, Mobile device only or both.

If you have a PC create a login, download the program and create a login. You can download the maps incrementally or in bulk. Make sure you download the free topo 250K map and the height data for the PC so you can look at the maps in 3d and they show you the altitude.

I would recommend the Memory Map path if you intend to use a PC at any point. It has lots of extra tools and it is easier to plan trips. You can then upload your routes and way points etc to the Ipad.
FollowupID: 801613

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 08:01

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 08:01
Oops you only need to create one login.

Memory Map

Look under support>licence management to create an account.
FollowupID: 801614

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 08:12

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 08:12
I have had Magellan, Garmin & Seeka (up to 7") systems over the years, but the iPad is the most versatile tool for travel + navigation + communication I have encountered. If you have the 3G enabled iPad you have GPS function.

Yes, it has Bluetooth functionality. Screen is tops to read while mobile and beats all the others I have seen. I bluetooth music from the iPad to the car radio.

Most often I dispense with the second extension of the RAM mount. This then lets the full flow out of the vents rather than blowing into the back of the iPad.

In terms of maps, I ended up with a Hema app as they have a moving map 1: 250,000 topo. It is relatively intuitive to use/configure/flick between screens. The topo is good & exactly what I wanted; the Hema Great Desert Tracks maps are worthwhile, especially so for passengers not so familiar with the country and who don't perhaps need the fine detail I am seeking with 1: 250,000.

Other vendors had similar and proprietary maps, but not the Geoscience version. This was my # 1 criteria. Would like Westprint maps but they are not yet configured to Apple.

One of my aims while travelling is to not be focussed on a computer. I drive to the country, not to a screen.......

Cheers
RM
AnswerID: 521004

Reply By: rocco2010 - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 11:18

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 11:18
Gidday

I have an iPad with 3G so it has a built in modem and paid 99cents for the memory map app which comes with a 1:250,000 topo map which is a hema product. It's very basic stuff, just a road map really, but it tells you where you are and you can save tracks and a few things like that. It might be a good starting point for anyone who is not sure whether that want to outlay a lot more money for things they may or may not use.

Cheers
AnswerID: 521025

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 14:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 14:00
Hi Anne

I have a Hema GPS and used it successfully in areas with numerous and confusing tracks - for example in Nuytsland Nature Reserve WA. However, because I was given an Ipad and I was keen to acquire useful apps, I plunged in and bought the Hema app.

It is fantastic. Over the years, and before I bought the Hema GPS I spent many hours trying to do clever things on the laptop with maps acquired from all the place and using Ozi Explorer. I found all that trial and error and experiment a nightmare.The Hema GPS was a lifesaver and now the app is a brilliant addition or replacement. I usually use the 1:250,000 Geoscience map that is part of the Hema app package.

I also carry maps - just in case!

I hope this is helpful.

Have fun. Megan
AnswerID: 521031

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 14:45

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 14:45
Hi Mike and Anne

Any of the mapping software mentioned will be ok
I have downloaded a number of mapping programs and they all seem to run.
Latest was for a 3 week trip to NZ and it was very up to date as well

As for the GPS Apple use a different bluetooth format and I have a GPS that works a dream of both Ipad and Windows based devices.

Its a "XGPS150A" Dual

do a Google search and there are a few suppliers
I only paid about $35 for mine and it works a dream

Regards

Geoff

AnswerID: 521034

Follow Up By: Mike & Anne H - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 19:29

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 19:29
Thanks so much! That is the device I was looking at. Great replies from one and all....thank you!
FollowupID: 801660

Reply By: Bludge - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 16:07

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 16:07
Mike and Anne,

While I do not have an iPad, but use an Android Tablet (with built in GPS). ( Sony V Tablet which is also water and dust proof to IP57)

I can vouch for the Memory Maps software (free on Android) and HEMA maps (I purchased the Australia maps bundle) , I also have OziExplorer and OSM for street maps (free).

I believe that a tablet is a better option than buying a standalone GPS even if it has HEMA maps and you wont regret it.
AnswerID: 521043

Sponsored Links