Mileage

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:02
ThreadID: 105032 Views:2172 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just recently I purchased a Nissan Navara 4 door 2 x 4 V6 petrol.
I am most concerned as to the Mileage that I am getting, I did a small trip
towing the 17 ft pop top, followed by some city driving in all 383 klms This left me with approximately 20 Litres in the tank. (Tank holds 80 L)
Which worked out at roughly 14 litres per hundred. Can any one inform me if I can improve on this with either a chip, or if it can be fitted a Hyclone. Or any other device.
I did not travel any faster than 80 to 90 Klm per Hour.

Thomo (Not good at the mechanics)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:18

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:18
Rider, I have not driven a petrol Navara so cannot comment on personal experience but if I have the model correct the article below suggests your findings may be typical.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/buyers-guide/nissan_navara_d40_2005-2008_buyers_guide

AnswerID: 521019

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:57

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:57
Hi Riderau,

I have no experience with that vehicle so cannot comment on specifics but when you tow there is always a price to pay for the convenience the van affords.

I get somewhere in the region of 23L/100K so your figures would please me no end however the performance the petrol motor gives is worth the extra cost, for me at least.

You may save on fuel if you go to a diesel but there are other costs associated with diesel ownership and at the end of the day they are line ball on running and owning costs according to those that have done the sums.

A hyclone ????, others can comment on the specifics of those devices but I will say that the general consensus is that they are not effective.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521024

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 18:54

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 18:54
You may already be aware of it but just in case, "Never tow in overdrive"

I have carried out tests driving in overdrive and the next gear back. I always find that overdrive consumes more fuel as the engine is working harder without any increase in road speed. The engine is labouring in other words.

Let the engine run closer to the revs at which it produces its best torque and you will use less fuel, the engine will run slightly cooler and pickup will be much improved.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 801658

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 14:14

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 14:14
You'll probably get a little better on higher octane fuel but it will cost the same overall. I had a V6 petrol Pathfinder (probably the same motor) and your figures look good to me.
AnswerID: 521033

Reply By: John and Regina M - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 14:51

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 14:51
Your figures look great to me.
And when you end up traveling at a realistic speed on main roads it is going to be even thirstier.

You can chip it, hiclone it, upgrade exhaust, lighten it and any number of perceived economy measures to ease yr troubled mind but you'll just end up throwing more money at it instead of putting it in the tank, as well as lowering yr resale value.

Welcome to petrol towing...
AnswerID: 521035

Reply By: Herbal - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 16:26

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 16:26
I agree with all others...14 to 100 is pretty good really.

But I think it might be closer to 15.5... 383km / 60lt = 6.38km per lt = 15.67lt per 100km.

Changing the "chip" or modding the computer by flashing it, will not improve things.

The two main things that govern mileage is the driver and the O2 sensor. But you have to consider what you are trying to do. In this case, tow a 17ft van. I would think anywhere between 13 to 16 per 100 is OK....If you work it out, I think you will find you are getting 9 to 11 per 100 when not towing.

If you really want to try and get the mileage down, there are 2 legal things you can do and one not so legal thing :)

1. Check your driving habits. Even though you are towing, you can still get the engine up to it's sweet spot without gunning it. In traffic, like towns with stop start, just ease along. On open roads use as much power as you can to get to your cruising speed without forcing the engine. Let the engine do the work without forcing it. Look for it's sweet spot...You will notice when you get to a cruising speed that your engine likes, the RPM will drop and it will hold the speed, that is called the sweet spot.

2. Most mechanics will not change the O2 sensor at service time...Most OEM's suggest changing the O2 sensor every 100,000 km. There is no harm changing it more often. Generic brands are very good and a lot cheaper than OEM brand. A generic should be around $50...The O2 sensor "sniffs" the exhaust and from what it smells, tells the computer exactly what air/fuel mixture is needed. Because this little thing has it's "nose" in the exhaust, it gets dirty and burns out.

3. Not quite legal...But very common. Hammer out the guts of your catalytic converter. For this you need to have some mechanical knowledge. Remove the CAT and with a long screwdriver and a hammer, chisel out the ceramic type honey comb structure inside it. This will leave you with a straight through pipe...This will give you more power (very noticeable more power !!) less fuel consumption and faster exhaust extraction...Use a face mask or dust mask, that ceramic stuff is not good for you :)
AnswerID: 521044

Reply By: riderau - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 16:44

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 16:44
To all you kind people that replied to my question on fuel economy. I thank you very much. By the sounds of things I should be grateful for what it is achieving at present.

As for the catalytic converter I think I will leave it alone, the power that I get from the old girl now is enough without killing my self lol. Once again thank you all, and may you all have fair seas and following winds .

riderau
AnswerID: 521047

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 17:36

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 17:36
Only things I'd add is...1. Keep your tyre pressures UP (even if a little uncomfortable - check the tyre specs for limits). 2. Keep cruising speed as low as practical* - once you get past 80kph,' fuel sadness' often emerges :-o).
*not always convenient to other road users of course - if so, I speed up until they have passed.
FollowupID: 801655

Sponsored Links