New vs Used Jayco Camper trailer

Submitted: Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 14:01
ThreadID: 105048 Views:5074 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I'm in the market for either a Jayco (most likely the Swift) and thought I might be able to get something for a reasonable price second hand but it seems almost impossible to find any for sale or people asking extreme prices. So i'm now wondering if I would be better buying new and if anyone could guide me on what ballpark figure I would be looking at for a new swift (on road not outback)?

Are there any major benefits buying new compared to a 2011/2012 used model?

Thanks,
MrP
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 14:38

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 14:38
Hi, I have no idea of value for these campers, but there are a dozen or more on Gumtree ranging from $8 t0 $20 k......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 521117

Follow Up By: mrpotato - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 20:38

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 20:38
Hi Oldbaz,

I'm looking for a more recent model which covers those closer to the 20k mark which is what I have seen for a new one.

Either they retain their value very well or people have very high expectations :)

Cheers,
MrP
FollowupID: 801772

Reply By: Member - johnat - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 17:04

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 17:04
The cynic in me says that, by buying new, you get the pleasure of finding all the liottle things that the factory didn't quite get around to making perfect.
But by buying used, with any luck, the previous owners will have gone through that for you, depriving you of that intensely pleasurable experience. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 521130

Follow Up By: mrpotato - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 20:39

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 20:39
Something tells me you and I think a like John, I work in IT and solve problems all day and not a big fan of others doing it for me..saying that I'd rather no problems with a new trailer to solve!
FollowupID: 801773

Reply By: SDG - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 19:36

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 19:36
I bought the Swift last November new. (outback) I to hunted around for a while as I did not want anything to old. Between new and second hand, there is, or was, not a great deal of difference in price. I decided that I may as well buy new, that way I at least got warranty, a free service and discounts from the store. Mine also had a few extras. Apart from the child restraint strap being to short, resulting in a hole worn into the canvas, I have not had any issues.

My Outback cost round figures 20grand on road. I got it reduced as it was one that was on the lot, and end of year. Offering them cash may have also helped. I think from memory the onroad was about 17grand. (They also had a big sale a couple of months back and prices were way down)
AnswerID: 521142

Follow Up By: mrpotato - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 20:36

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 20:36
Hi SDG,

Thanks for the info, the prices you mentioned where what I was expecting and only 1-2K at the most more than a 2-3 year old second hand model which is hard to go past.

How do you find the space/bed sizes? I've got the wife and 3 year old to tow but I am around 6'1" in height and wondering if the bed might be too small..wife is a midget so she would be fine :)

A friend recommended the Dove instead but I would be towing it with a Subaru (1600/160 ball) which would fit the limits but i'd rather something that was well under.

Cheers,
MrP
FollowupID: 801771

Follow Up By: SDG - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 21:35

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 21:35
I'm only about 5foot 6 and for me the bed is good. As for your height I would suggest getting into one and trying it. The length of the bed is as long as a queen size I believe, but the width is narrower. Still fit two adults. I think the Dove is a little wider, but same length.
I would suggest getting one of their inner spring mattresses. Mine came with it, and after a friend laid on it she wanted it. Hers has a standard foam.
Space is fine if you are just using it to cook eat and sleep. Parties not recommended. lol Most of the time you will be outside anyway.
I travel with two kids, and the youngest does have trouble getting in and out of bed as he is short. My eldest prefers his own tent outside. You will most likely need to help your young one. The table does fold down to another bed if required. Only a kid size.
I changed my lights to led. As that is about all the power I use, I have found a 20watt solar panel keeps it topped up.
I had a little bit of trouble finding an awning for it recently. It seems to be an odd size. A fiamma f35pro fits it. It is possible to use their brand, but I was trying to avoid carrying extra poles.
The Dove from memory is only one bed. While your kid can sleep with you, sooner or later they will want their own bed.

When towing(pajero) I don't even know its there.
FollowupID: 801777

Follow Up By: mrpotato - Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 18:40

Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 18:40
Thanks for the tips, I checked the swift out today and found the bed wasn't an issue and much better than the camping sleeping i've been used to for many years.

Space was fine too if used for just cooking, eating and sleeping but the wife thought we might out grow it in the near future so she is keen on the Dove which has bigger beds and more room inside.

As for price I was quote around $19k for the touring model (on road) and they will throw in annex with this..another 3K+ for outback model. Not sure how much the annex would be but was surprised they weren't willing to budge much from the rrp even though I told them I was ready to buy today.

Only other thing I noticed was the electrical tow cable had a 12 pin connection but my car has 7 pin so will need to check if I can convert.

FollowupID: 801843

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 20:36

Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 20:36
I think from memory the 7, will fit into a 12 pin.
FollowupID: 801855

Reply By: Rob d b. - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 20:15

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 20:15
Hi mr potato

We have a jayco swan outback 2007. It is great. It has awnings all round full annex with patio. Alpha pack which is external shower and hot water system. Twin gas bottles, spare tyre holder with tool box mounted on back. Battery system with anderson plug. Twin solar panels on the roof. Twin water tanks underneath. It is well set up for remote camping or pulling up into a caravan park. The jayco swan tows really well it's only 1300 kg plus or minus water and additional gear. Ours is for sale only because we want a full caravan with air cond for some long trips. Especially while we are up in the north west. They are really open inside when set up with plenty of room for two kids and gear. The windows un zip all round and they are a great mix between van and camper trailer.

Jayco's hold their price well and with all the extras on my one it would be over $35 ish new. Second hand at around $24 is not a bad price.

Rob.
AnswerID: 521231

Follow Up By: mrpotato - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 09:27

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 09:27
Hi Rob,

Sounds like a great set-up but unfortunately it is a little out of my price range.

Cheers,
MrP
FollowupID: 801918

Sponsored Links