Comment: EOTopo

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 16:59
ThreadID: 105061 Views:1572 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just come across the article about the EO Topo and noticed it came on SDcard to load on a compatible device. Having just purchased a new BT50 and found the GPS next to useless with detail of how to get around Bunnings carpark but no detail at all of a well used dirt road between two major Victorian towns l was amazed l had more detail on my mobile phone. Wouldn't it be great if someone came up with a card we BT50/Ranger owners could insert I'm sure there would be a market
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 18:08

Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 18:08
Hi

Some of the data formats used in these types of GPS/Nav aids are proprietary (i.e unique to brand/unit) and not easy to create (plus maybe copyrighted). So don't hold your breath for someone to create something suitable. An after market solution is your best bet. That's why various gps programs such as OziExplorer/TwoNav/Memory Map etc coupled with laptop/tablet/ipad/PDA/some GPS units (including in dash ones) which allow use of commonly available data formats are so popular.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 521186

Follow Up By: Hugh D - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:25

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:25
Etopo is a set of maps designed to be used by Oziexplorer or Trackranger, etc. They describe a very good process for making these maps and their samples look good. I haven't actually seen the product, so would be interested to hear from someone who has
Cheers,
Hugh
FollowupID: 801925

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:14

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:14
I have a new BT50 also. The screen and nav maps are out of the Ark. Why bother trying to bend your neck to look at this pokie crappy screen (should have your eyes on the road anyway) when there are far better options available. EG; an Android tablet or Hema HN6 both of which can run Ozi.
There are lots of good modern innovations in the BT50 but its GPS isn't one.

Cheers
Brenton

AnswerID: 521575

Sponsored Links