L/C 100 power increase options

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 07:56
ThreadID: 10514 Views:2158 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am a new visitor and am seeking the help of the experts.

I have an auto 100 series petrol 2001 model with 50,000k on the clock. The vehicle spends 80-90 percent of it's life towing a 21 foot caravan weighing 2700k.

Sometimes, especially starting from the bottom of a big hill I would really like some extra power and am looking for the best bang for buck answer.

The various options that have been suggested to me are

Trade it on a new petrol v8
Trade it on a new turbo diesel
Install a Chevvy engine
Add some bolt on gear
etc, etc

I currently use about 25 litres per 100 k when towing so any consumption improvement would also be a plus.

Regards
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SteveW - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:54

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:54
Supercharge it. will give better low down power. these days they can be bolted on fairly easily and is cheaper than a new engine or buying a new v8 or diesel

steve
AnswerID: 46661

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:00

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:00
yep supercharging it will give you the result you require with probably more torque than a turbo diesel too?
But check out how much extra you get for the bucks spent versus a turbo diesel (and its the increased life of engine plant).

not cheap to supercharge it but if you go this way get a roots type or screw type but will give heaps of grunt. Had a mini once with a supercharger and the increased troque would allow me to take off in third gear without slipping the clutchWow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
AnswerID: 46664

Reply By: ross - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:20

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:20
If you can afford the move to a turbo diesel thats the way I would go. Although I dont think it will be a big improvement on power,after all it is 2.7tonnes we are talking about,there should be a saving on fuel.
All the other options such as aftermarket turbos and engine swaps all cost $$$ and tend to lose some reliability
Sprintex superchargers which are reputed to be the most reliable still cost $8k+ just for the unit.
AnswerID: 46669

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:02

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:02
Unless you are desperate to part yourself with $10-20,000 put up with what you have. New new V8 will not tow any better than the six (it is a heavier vehicle). Try extractors and exhaust.

You can bolt in all sorts of motors but unless you like tinkering with engines and are good at making and fixing mechanical stuff you will just be throwing heaps of money away. You current motor is reliable and standard and is worth money as a trade when you eventual want to sell.

Don't get me wrong, I have put a couple of V8's into Cruisers and it is a great project and the end result is alot of fun. But reliablity is the problem with a conversion and a conversion always costs way more than originally budgeted for. Spending thousands to save a few hundred dollars at the pump is not great economics.
AnswerID: 46674

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 16:38

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 16:38
Gday
Its a pity Safari have stopped supplying turbo systems for the 1fz, the yanks like supercharging theirs, and spend 2.5k on a kit, which sell for 8 here!
Best $$ for money gain in power is to fit a unichip engine management computer (for 1400). The 100 1fz is a good contender for this and good gains are found in power aswell as fuel economy. If you want to fit extracters first, that would be better, but IMHO the extracters dont give enough to warrent their price (800 bux) and if you play with the exhaust, it will become loudish as the 1fz is a twincam.
Other thing is that if you sell, the chip can be retuned to your next car or removed and sold.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 46693

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 21:48

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 21:48
And where will you go when you get up that hill at a furious pace ?? .... calm down, what's the rush ? a few minutes extra ....
AnswerID: 46725

Reply By: Dunedigger - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 17:14

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 17:14
My Toyota 79 Turbo Diesel 24 valve overtakes trucks on the steeper hills WHEN it is pulling a 3.5 trailer and has 1/2 ton of the tray. All up, on the limit of over 6 tons.

Beware the conversion . . always problems with reliabilaiy . . cooling, gearbox, you name it.

Slow down take your timen a new engine will cost a lot more that some fuel, or get a smaller van

Dunedigger
AnswerID: 46795

Reply By: John Aston - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 08:56

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 08:56
Thanks everyone,
It looks like I should just take it easy and spend the $$ on a couple of extra beers when I arrive

John
AnswerID: 46851

Sponsored Links