Setting up a VW single cab Amorok for Camping

Submitted: Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:59
ThreadID: 105140 Views:2173 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am new to the site but would like some advice from members about setting up the back of my VW Single Cab Amorok for camping. We use it as a farm ute but then what to be able to go 4 wheel driving and have the bed and storage set up on the back. Any thoughts on the type of cover and storage and kitchen ideas would be great. I live in WA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 14:42

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 14:42
hi ansley f1
is the amarok a tray-back or wellbody -tub
its makes a lot of difference to the advice needed and given
cheers
AnswerID: 521503

Follow Up By: Ainsley F1 - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 14:54

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 14:54
tray -back - flat
Thanks
FollowupID: 802198

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 15:20

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 15:20
hi having been a farmer in the past
a few suggestions
knowing that you will want something that can be removed so the ute can go back to farm duties after camping and as quick as possible
a tray-on type camper although somewhat expensive depending on brand name
would be ideal as all you have to do is raise it on legs and drive out from under it lock stock and barrel 15 minutes job
the other option is put a frame on the top and use a rooftop tent and carry loose camping items underneath on the tray with sides on or just use a instant type tent
tray-ons are great but expensive or you could buy a camper trailer there would be about 150 different ones to choose from
you should have gone to the 4wd show last week there was a wealth of ideas and types on display but I realise your probably trying to get a crop off
cheers hope this helps somewhat
FollowupID: 802199

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 17:02

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 17:02
Ainsley,

Seen plenty of cars, utes and trailers, with roof top tents fitted this year. Maybe a good way to go, as it leaves you plenty of room for all the other "stuff".

As Maz has suggested, a R/T tent mounted on ladder racks above the tray gives you shade, to some degree, and plenty of room for fridges, stoves, tables and chairs. I wouldn't get carried away with too much flash gear. Just keep it simple and light weight, until you sort out what you'll need.

Even those little single burner stoves, with gas canister($7 for 4, at Kmart in the Isa) would be enough to knock up a feed. Folding table and couple of camp chairs. And don't forget a $40 Coleman 12v shower, and a bucket for the hot water.

We did a couple of trips in my old work ute, before getting the camper shown in my profile page.

The only mods I did was to add a Merit socket for the fridge, and a dual ciggy socket for lights, and cut a slot in the sideboard, so a chain would support it as a table. Had 2 large plastic boxes either side, and a third, smaller one, with almost everything else placed between the boxes, or on top, and tied down.

Worked well for us.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521511

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 16:12

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 16:12
Have a look at a slide-on-camper. I have a Cameron camper trailer and would recommend their products but they are in SA - a long way from WA.
If you did your research you would find a good quality slide-on-camper in WA.
As with camper trailers you get what you pay for. Some are cheap but fall to bits and others are over priced. Do your research and you should be able to get a quality product for a reasonable price.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521671

Sponsored Links