6 seater patrol

Submitted: Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:34
ThreadID: 105146 Views:3676 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi can somone tell me if its possible to convert 7 seater to 6 seater patrol so i can have cargo space and if i can
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:41

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:41
Just take out one of the third row seats, a nd keep it for when you sell the vehicle
I
J
AnswerID: 521520

Reply By: harold p - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:46

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:46
no what i want is to see if i can put bech seat in the front so 3 seater in front 3 in the middle
AnswerID: 521521

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:54

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:54
What model/year of Patrol are we talking?? Patrols have been built in a dozen models since the early 1960's.
AnswerID: 521523

Reply By: harold p - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:57

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:57
2007 common rail 3L
AnswerID: 521524

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 00:04

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 00:04
If you can find a wrecked GU DX ute (it's the only Patrol with a 3-person front seat), and purchase the seating and brackets from it, you should be able to convert yours. You will need all the seat belt mountings as well.

However, there could be potential problems with registration and insurance, and you would be well-advised to ask your local transport authority if you can legally carry out the swap - and ask your insurance company if they're happy with the alteration to the seating, if the transport authority okays it.

Remember there's very little room for the middle persons legs with a Patrol bench seat, because of the huge transmission tunnel. This makes for uncomfortable long-distance travel for the middle person.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/penrith/cars-vans-utes/2008-nissan-patrol-gu-my08-dx-4x4-white-5-speed-manual-cab-chassis/1031983109 (see picture 15)
AnswerID: 521529

Reply By: fisho64 - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 02:46

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 02:46
I wouldnt bother telling them anything, they will only say "oh no of course you cant do that".
Especially if your only going to use the middle front occasionally (I did the same to my Toyota) just do it and use it when you need to.
AnswerID: 521533

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 11:27

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 11:27
Modifying the seating of a vehicle has ramifications on both registration and insurance. Removing the rear dicky seats will result in an un-roadworthy being issued if the officer is in the mood. Fitting a barrier to the rear of the vehicle and leaving the seats in also constitutes an un-roadworthy.
When transferring my car from Vic to WA I was told this by the inspector as I had a barrier and rear seats fitted. I removed the seats and seat belts and it was registered as a 5 seater.
I would not give the advice to just change the seating. Yes it will work. BUT if you had an accident and the centre front passenger was hurt the ramifications can be huge.
FollowupID: 802244

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 22:26

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 22:26
if your confident (and have the nous) that the modification isnt going to be unsafe then take a little on your own shoulders and do it.
If hes using factory available bolt in equipment there would be unlikely any drama there other than paper shuffling.

To any clown it would be obvious that if you put a cargo barrier and still use the rear seats its a hazard-how can someone get out in an accident, some rear doors are difficult to open from the inside at the best of times?
If youd used your head, you would have just removed the cargo barrier, registered it then put it in afterwards. No loss of resale and you still have the option of swapping it back.

Inspector maybe didnt like Victorians?? :-)
FollowupID: 802269

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 02:45

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 02:45
Fisho64,
I'll try to keep it simple for you. If you have a barrier in your car and its licensed as a 7 seated its illegal. You can't just take the seats out you need to re- register it. Nothing was said about using them. As for your take a bit on your shoulders I would love to watch you explain yourself if a accident was to happen.
What a load of crap.
FollowupID: 802273

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 03:04

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 03:04
What a load of bollocks. Only if you use them is it a danger. So i wonder how many here have cargo barriers and havent re-registered there vehicles? Maybe you should be lecturing them ALL.
From Milfords website
"Many of the quality Cargo Barriers in the Milford Passenger Car range are designed to fit in more than one position and include a Milbolt or quick release mechanism for quick and easy movement. So when you need to fold down your rear seats for more space, your user-friendly barrier simply moves forward its new position, behind the front seats."

Hmm, they seem to have forgotten to say you can move the barrier very easily but need to re-engineer your vehicle?
You seem a little paranoid over being given some dodgy info. Did you lecture the vehicle inspector as well?
FollowupID: 802274

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 03:19

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 03:19
My point is you can't just take it on your shoulders and do as you like. If you change the seating of a vehicle you need to get a modification permit. You can jump up and down as much as you like. Themes the rules.
Yes you can just do it and 99% of the time no problems. As for the sellers web site so what.
Look up the ADR's and legislation then have an informed crack at me. So far you are all wind...

FollowupID: 802275

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 03:39

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 03:39
think you better take on Milford cargo barriers who are falsely advertising that you can move your barrier at will via their "Milbolt quick release system" and fit it between whichever row of seats you require.
Imagine all those people who have bought them and are breaking the law!
I dont know how you can sleep at night mate!
FollowupID: 802276

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 04:03

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 04:03
What are you on about?
You seemed all worked up. I'm speaking about my experience when licensing a car. Your telling somebody "just do it". Now your dribbling on about me taking on Milford.
Get your facts straight. I'm saying you can't modify the seating of a vehicle without getting it approved. That's a fact.
I'm saying why don't you go do some research and get you facts sorted instead of throwing silly things at me like how do I sleep at night.
Spend a bit of time doing your research you seem to have plenty to spare.
As for your little rant. If you have the barrier between the front and middle seats you can get out of the side doors. You then move it to the back. Making sure the seats and belts have been removed. Just guessing...
Mmmm didn't think of that did you.....
FollowupID: 802277

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 04:16

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 04:16
na we are a little more relaxed in WA than in Toorak or whereever.
Your a little upset having discovered that a vehicle inspector has given you some dud info.
Just need to chill a little mate, it'll work out in the end for ya.

Dont waste your time trying to find it in the ADR's. I wont, as Im pretty sure a multi-national like Milford will have already done that-they employ plenty of worriers just like yourself for that very purpose
FollowupID: 802278

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 12:14

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 12:14
Here you go.....

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20500.asp

you may also like to read VSB 5B

Again you make silly insults with no substance.
Again your statements are wrong. I to live in WA and that is where the car was licensed.
I know you will retort with some baseless comment so I will leave it at this.
FollowupID: 802295

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 13:27

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 13:27
From your link
Items that do not require approval
•optional factory seating
•barrier systems that do not impede vision to the rear

BOOM! The only insult is to your research and cut and paste skills

I know you now live in WA, you already mentioned that. I have also learnt that the Vehicle Inspectors are often bored and disinterested and do little to confirm their findings are consistent with rulings

FollowupID: 802298

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 13:54

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 13:54
Read it again without the arrogance. You are interpreting it to quantify your beliefs.
For some reason you find the need to discredit my comments.

From my limited association to you via these posts it is obvious that you are never wrong regardless of the facts. The lucky thing for me I suppose is I can choose to refrain from taking you un substantiated advise. I also hope others do the same.
FollowupID: 802301

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 15:06

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 15:06
no need to get bent out of shape cobber
its in black and white on the link you posted
FollowupID: 802304

Reply By: nsngood - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 09:08

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 09:08
It may be able to be done. But i would be asking some questions of the authorities re the legalities first. If not, and the conversion is deemed unsafe, then you may be liable if anything " went wrong".

Remember if fitting the third person type seat as described in the utes they are,
1.not as comfortable as wagon seats
2. Generally not able to be reclined.
3. Cannot be slid back orforward

As an excersize get two people to sit in the front of a gu ute with both sets of legs in the passenger footwell. Whilst bigger than the gq, they are still not roomy.you want to know the person next to you pretty well if on a longer trip than just going to the shops.

The good thing about this conversion is that it is easier to stack/store some useful items for travelling in the front when on trips.a small fridge/esky etc.
AnswerID: 521539

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 14:43

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 14:43
I took some seats out of our 120 Series Prado to accommodate our touring setup and come rego inspection time (NSW), had issues. There ARE legal ramifications to changing the seating configuration which could affect an insurance claim. May affect some states more than others.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521665

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 15:57

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 15:57
You want to get Fisho to take it over the pits for you... His a bit of an expert on these things...
FollowupID: 802404

Sponsored Links