evans radiator coolant

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 15:14
ThreadID: 105151 Views:2768 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
hi
has any one used or have knowledge of this coolant ,the reason being that I have put a turbo on my 4runner and since then it can run hot in times of , eg summer arvos , towing etc , this fluid is purported to be able to stop overheating ,is a one time only ever fill of your radiator , no chemical reaction to metals ,is this the holy grail or just yankee hype . I await your replies on this subject, because I know absolutely nothing about it.
lewjack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 15:44

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 15:44
http://www.evanscooling.com/

Jay Leno reckons its good stuff...lol.

Just run a quality glycol coolant at 50% in the system, don't buy the diluted stuff, your just paying good money for someone else's packaged up water.

Regardless of what you use, you will be rebuilding the motor in a few years anyway. Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 521547

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 15:51

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 15:51
It's snake oil, make sure your cooling system is in tip top condition and that the viscous coupling on the fan is working if you're using the original fan.
Flush out the engine and radiator of all old coolant and never ever mix coolants as they can react and form gell which will block your cooling system.
Mixed coolants can also turn acidic and attack any metal components they come into contact with.
Seeing as you have put a turbo on your 4 runner then get it checked for the state of tune. If it's petrol turbo then if it's running lean then your engine will run hot.
Conversely, if it's a diesel then running rich will cause your engine to run hot.
It's all fixable but you need to go back to the basics and get everything in tip top condition.
Don't think there is a magic bullet as in "water wetter" or all the other snake oil bandied about on the web.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 521548

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 18:57

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 18:57
A diesel running rich?? New one on me. What do you do to cure a diesel running rich, install bigger jets?? [;-)
FollowupID: 802259

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 19:40

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 19:40
Rich, as in too much fuel there for the available air to burn it properly. Happens in petrol and also in diesels if injection is too much for that said air. Either could be termed, over fuelled.

That is pretty clear what is meant, unlike some the gobbledygook of some posts in some threads.
FollowupID: 802262

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 21:40

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 21:40
Ron N, its most likely a mechanical injection normally aspirated hilux/4Runner engine...and some blokes fit turbos to them..similar to fitting one to a 1HZ Landcruiser engine.

The turbo does force in at above atmospheric pressure..air..and to compensate for the extra air/oxygen at a 21% mix, you physically adjust the fuel pump.

In a diesel, extra fuel = combustion heat.

It can be a problem in factory designed normally aspirated engines, they don't breath (multi-valve) or have the cooling system design to disipate the extra combustion heat when under load.

Invariably they end up with heat related issues, more so when used for towing and hard use where the engine EGT (exhaust gas temperature) is not measured or appreciated..and end up with symtoms of overheating, and resulting cracking of pistons, combustion chambers and cylinder heads.

So the claim of overfuelling...a potential rich air/fuel mix is valid in this situation. :0)

FollowupID: 802268

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 16:04

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 16:04
I agree with what both Andrews have said.

A fancy-pants coolant cannot make your engine run cooler. The cooling function is achieved by the physics of coolant circulation, radiator surface area and air flow.

Compounded coolants are designed to eliminate corrosion and elevate the coolant boiling point beyond plain water. Just use the vehicle manufacture's recommendation or a quality alternative coolant.

If the vehicle is overheating, pay attention to the cause.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521549

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 17:21

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 17:21
Pressure raises the boiling point of water.
FollowupID: 802254

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 17:59

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 17:59
Yes Shaker, so does ethylene glycol and similar compounds used in proprietary coolants.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 802257

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 19:13

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 19:13
50/50 coolant mix increases boiling point by around 6 degrees, 14psi increases it a further 25 degrees (approx)
I chased my tail for years trying to correct a Nissan's inherent overheating problem.
Funnily enough plain water cools better than a coolant mix.
FollowupID: 802260

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 19:45

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 19:45
14psi increase elevates the boiling point of water by 19c actually.

But you are right about plain water cooling efficacy. A 50% mix of glycol and water has only about 75% thermal capacity of pure water.

Unless you are in freezing ambients, simply using water with an inhibitor is generally adequate.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 802263

Reply By: howesy - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 16:35

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 16:35
It's all smoke and mirrors,,, Contrary to popular belief 99% of Coolants no matter how good do very little to keep it cool they merely keep it from boiling a tad longer. Only one I ever saw that atually affected cooling was a high concentrate product used by Rolls Royce 20 years ago. Another fact is that water cools more efficiently than coolant. Get a heavy duty radiator a new or oiled up viscous hub and clear spot lights from in front of the radiator you will see a difference.
AnswerID: 521550

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 17:25

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 17:25
I tried the Redline product a few years ago, it did make a difference, but minimal.

AnswerID: 521552

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 18:52

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 18:52
Lewjack - The gain in cooling by using Evans coolant is hardly measurable. The best coolant is the recommended Toyota coolant additive, added to distilled water - and placed in a clean, fully-flushed cooling system.

The reason your Hilux is overheating is because turbos increase combustion temperatures enormously, and all factory turbo engines have oil-cooled pistons.
The additional heat from a turbo installation is centred in the piston crown, and if you don't watch your EGT very carefully, you will end up with melted pistons, melted valves, or piston seizure in the bore. You'd be well advised to add an oil cooler and additional crankcase oil capacity.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 521555

Follow Up By: lewjack1 - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:01

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:01
lewjack replies ,thanks everyone for the comments I thought it was too good to be true, it looks like I might go by the way of an oil cooler,with respect to egt I have installed a pyrometer and drive accordingly evey turbo should have one ,thanks again lewjack
FollowupID: 802282

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:12

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:12
Lewjack, that's good to hear that you have a pyrometer and drive accordingly. Oil cools as well as lubricates, so if you increase your oil capacity, you're increasing your engine cooling as well.

Most manufacturers use the minimum amount of oil that will do the job. If they increase the oil capacity by even half a litre, that's an extra couple of dollars of build cost per vehicle - and over a years production, that adds up to a lot of $$$'s that comes off the companys bottom line.

Bean counters spent all day and half the night, scheming up how they can shave $5 off the build cost of every vehicle, and they continually revise the cost of every single item that goes into building a vehicle.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 802290

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:27

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:27
If it is an old grey import 4Runner , I read recently that the same model Hilux Australian model has a bigger radiator, and is a direct fit. It sounds from your post that it is the even earlier one with the fibreglass back..

Apparently Toyota had great difficulty in cooling the turbo diesels for Australia and AFAIR delayed intro of the first Prado diesel until they could keep it cool.

Toyota Radiators do not last forever and maybe a HD radiator is what you need plus ensuring that thermostat and viscous fan are all AOK.
Ditto the comments re coolant , but also ensure the radiator cap is OK. It is mainly there to stop boiling on heat soak when turned off. I would run 1/3 coolant because of heat soak, as this plus the cap pressure will prevent boiling on shutdown.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 521577

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:33

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:33
What a great thread! So many useful snippets of information from people clearly full bottle on the subject. Thanks guys. Just have to remember it all now, or work out how to use the 'search' facility.

Bob
AnswerID: 521581

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:04

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:04
Echucan Bob - When you're looking for a thread on this forum, use Google, rather than the forum search engine.

Google will find 10 times more, 10 times faster, as compared to any forum search engine.

Half the time, the forum search engine won't even produce a result for what you're searching for - when Google will find it instantly.

If you're looking for "coolant" on here, just type "Exploroz coolant", and you'll get a number of Exploroz thread hits, plus a choice of more results.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 802287

Follow Up By: Albany Nomads - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 18:03

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 18:03
Thanks Ron
That's a darn good tip about using Google and do your search with exploroz as a prefix......works a charm, super fast, have tried a few times now and works a treat ....rather than using the forums search
Cheers John. /Albany Nomads
FollowupID: 802417

Reply By: mountainman - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 21:13

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 21:13
Toyota makes the best coolant.

the the guys running the 5.7 chev v8 are using the Toyota gear.

even the local natrad guys are saying the radiators that are running the Toyota coolant are the cleanest they come across. !!

that says a lot as they have their own natrad coolant range !

when they work on them day in and day out..
theyd know a thing or two on coolant
AnswerID: 521800

Sponsored Links