Cooloola just before Christmas

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 01:08
ThreadID: 105155 Views:1903 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning on picking up my offroad 2nd hand camper a few hours from Cooloola NP on Dec 21st and want to visit Cooloola for 21/22nd nights before heading to Bris. We have been to Tin Can bay before and I just want to take the young family camping in the Great Sandy.

Couple of things...

1. Is exploring the park in a stock Pajero NT safe (maybe just reduced tyre pressure)? we don't have a winch and are on h/t tyres.

2. How is the Freshwater camping area?

3. I was thinking of Caboolture--Blackmountain (on Bruce), KinKin Road to Cooloola way to Freshwater Creak Camp (on 21st), 22nd explore around (maybe drive north to Inskip), 23rd Brisbane via Beach to 3rd cutting and Tewatin to Sunshine Beach and on through Sunshine Coast on Route 6 to 40/M1

We live up in FNQ and don't come down to often in our car...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George C - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 01:11

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 01:11
I should have added that's it small offroad camper with solar/battery electric system and is set up for free camping.
AnswerID: 521563

Reply By: Athol W1 - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:34

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:34
George C
Your proposed trip is quite do able in the vehicle you describe, highway tyres can be an advantage in soft sand as they do not tend to dig holes as much.

Just be aware of the tides and also the crowds that can be there at that time of the year, it may pay to pre book a camp area as they can enforce maximum numbers.

Freshwater camp grounds can be very soft sand and could be the only area of concern. There is normally plenty of camping just off the beach between Freshwater and the Noosa Shire boundary for the totally self sufficient camper.

Enjoy your holiday, and the new camper.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 521582

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:15

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:15
When reduced tyre pressures are required make sure that ALL tyres are reduced in pressure, and this may require that the trailer tyres are reduced to as little as 10 psi for a short time only.

Also any reduction in tyre pressure MUST be accompanied by reduced speed and no violent steering inputs.
FollowupID: 802291

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:44

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:44
as mentioned already...soft sand and crowds will be your biggest issues. around Freshwater itself can have some very soft sand patches at times, so make sure you reduce your tyre pressures sufficently or you'll be doing alot of digging in hot sand. you might want to check the DERM site to see if there's spots available there left first up before making to many plans, i've never camped in there but would be checking how many sites suit a trailer aswell, and not just tents.
AnswerID: 521585

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:09

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:09
Hi George

As mentioned above - it's pretty straight forward with the set up mentioned, provided you time the tides. The Qld Govt publishes a report on this section here:

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/cooloola/pdf/cooloola-conditions-report.pdf

The other area of "interest" around that part of the world is the Leisha Track - this joins the surf beach to the Coloured Sands around the other side of the head land, near Rainbow Beach...it's always soft. We were up that way a couple of months ago, and it's always a challenge. I also reckon the Cooloola Way is a waste of time. It's just a dirt road that has no real redeeming qualities - I'd suggest exploring the coloured sands south of Rainbow Beach instead. The beach access from Rainbow Beach to Inskip is also impassable due to a sink hole...you need to head off the beach to get around this near Inskip.

Chris
AnswerID: 521590

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 06:40

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 06:40
Cooloola way has been closed for some months now. With the recent rain, I can't see it being opened again soon, but I may be wrong.
If it is opened and it rains you'll have fun on road tyres towing through there on the orange mud - very slippery.
It is basically just a potholed forestry track, but morons have decided that it is a 4wd playpen in the wet - hence it being closed by the local council.
Best off taking the highway into rainbow beach, fuel up then backtrack to the freshwater road.
It's been a long time since I've been to freshwater, but remember to book ahead and book a trailer site. There are hot showers that's about all I remember. It will be busy that time of year.
AnswerID: 521636

Reply By: George C - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 08:54

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 08:54
Thanks everyone. I was able to get a trailer site in Freshwater CS so that's all booked now and trying to get permission from my Minister of Finance to throw on a bull bar and winch before the trip as I am planning on staying at a few NP's on the way back up north and more...anyway for this post, how does the following look?

Dec 21 - Caboolture to Freshwater campsite via Bruce to Gympie-Tin Can Bay Road (if we leave at noon, would we get to the campsite by about 3pm?)

Dec 22 - Rainbow Beach, Inskip explore (lunch at Inskip), Double Island point on way back to Freshwater CS

Dec 23 - Beach to 3rd cutting, Tewatin, Noosa Heads (for lunch) and onto Brisbane

Am I missing anything here - I know it's rushed but that's all the time we have.

Since we have a camping permit, do we also need to get a VAP?

Thanks again,
AnswerID: 521701

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:13

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:13
Hi George

You will need a vehicle access permit if you are camping at Freshwater and heading to Inskip (unless you don't want to drive on the beach & want to go back via the Freshwater track - but it's the long way to Rainbow/Inskip!)...you can get that at the same web site as the camp booking:

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/cooloola/index.html

The drive from Freshwater to Inskip along the beach is quite short, but you'll need to be careful getting around the rocks at Rainbow Beach. Not a problem at low tide, but while you are at Rainbow, check out the photo's at the Rainbow Beach Hotel of the cars that tried not at low tide...they are on the back wall of the pub. It's also a nice place for lunch, they spend a squillion dollars on it a few years back.

It's a lovely part of the world, so have fun!

Chris
AnswerID: 521702

Follow Up By: George C - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:22

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:22
Thanks mate, if we give the car a good wash after leaving Cooloola is that enough to prevent salt corrosion as the car hasn't done any beach work and won't be doing it often either?
FollowupID: 802470

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:27

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:27
Hi George

If you get off the beach at the 3rd Cutting @ Noosa North Shore - there is an under-body car wash there. I would use it to get rid of all the salt & sand, but I think they use recycled water, which is quite oily. I normally grab their high pressure cleaner & some car wash after the under-body wash, to get rid of the other water. Total cost was about $15 I think last time I was there. If you are concerned, I'd also put it through a "normal" car wash afterwards...

Chris
FollowupID: 802471

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:42

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:42
Just to clarify George...the under-body wash is not at the 3rd cutting - it's near the hotel as you head toward the Noosa River ferry...so don't look for it near the beach! :)
FollowupID: 802472

Sponsored Links