to snorkel or not to snorkel

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 08:09
ThreadID: 105159 Views:2481 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I have recently purchased a 2001 Gu patrol 3.0l. My local mechanic says to put a snorkel on. I would probably drive approx. 5000km a year on dirt road. Would a snorkel be worth the money. He also suggested a turbo timer. I'm new to this game so go easy on me.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 08:20

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 08:20
Instead of a turbo timer, I just let mine idle a bit after a long run to allow cooling. I have the engine temp on a scanguage to check.

I fitted a snorkel and was amazed at the change in inlet air temp hitting the engine (also on scanguage) It gives considerable temp drop compared to normal engine bay inlet. Having a higher inlet, I believe it helps with dust in air filter.

Alan
AnswerID: 521568

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:03

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:03
gibberj, ...have you ever read anything about the early GU Patrol ZD30 engines..?
Do you have any history on the vehicle/engine..?
AnswerID: 521573

Follow Up By: gibberj - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 16:59

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 16:59
Yes I know about the 3.0l problems. I know the history of this patrol as it came from a relative. Oil and filters done every 8000km. it was a bitumen bus. Also has the N.A.D.S. installed. The 4.5 was difficult to find and the Toyota didn't interest me.
FollowupID: 802310

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:00
Hi gibberj

Trust your mechanic. For the peace of mind and a cleaner air filter, it should be the first thing fitted to any vehicle that travels on dirt roads. Most modern vehicles have their fresh air intake in the inner front gaurd, right where all the dust is drawn into the air intake. And then if you happen to go through some deep water, you will have peace of mind with that as well.

Go for the tried and proven Aussie made Safari snorkel and you will be more than happy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521579

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 15:59

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 15:59
x 2 for fitting a snorkel and a Safari model.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 802308

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 14:01

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 14:01
x 3 as above
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 802395

Reply By: Athol W1 - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:06

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:06
Gibberj
Definitely fit a good quality snorkel, you will notice a big difference with the life of your air filters, even if you never see a dirt road. It is also good insurance whenever there is ANY water over the road.

I have been driving turbo diesel 4wd's for over 20 years and have never found any need to have a turbo timer, and they can be considered to be an illegal piece of equipment which could give your insurance company a reason to not pay a claim.

Turbo's fitted today to 4wd's , including the ZD30, are all fitted with water cooled bearing housings which has removed the need for a ''cool down' period after general use.

I am not aware of any 4wd manufacturer who, over the past 10 years or more, even suggest that there is a requirement to 'wind down' or 'cool off' their product unless you have been working the engine very hard in the last minute or so of operation (I.e. towing a caravan up a long steep hill immediately before stopping, in which case it is advisable to allow the whole vehicle time to cool down and especially the auto transmission)

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 521588

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 13:43

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 13:43
Gibberj - A good quality snorkel is a wise investment that will save you excessive filter cleaning. Every time you clean a filter, it opens the possibility of dirt entering the engine, unless you are fastidious.
The cooler air supply going into a diesel is important. Cooler air is more dense air, therefore your engine will develop a little more power with a snorkel.

Turbo timers are devices designed for careless employees who care little about expensive vehicles and engines. The only time you need an extended shutdown period is when you have been driving at high speed in high ambient temperatures for an extended period - or towing for an extended period.

In these cases, a couple of minutes idling to even out hot spots is advantageous. Excessive idling only wastes fuel and encourages oil dilution via incomplete combustion.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 521595

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 14:07

Sunday, Nov 17, 2013 at 14:07
For what it's worth

What Ron said x 2, especially the bit about turbo timers. AFAIK it is illegal to leave your engine running without the driver in attendance and that being the case why have a timer?

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 802302

Reply By: gibberj - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 06:28

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 06:28
Thanks to everyone who replied. Looks like im going out to get a snorkel fitted this weekend.
Regards
AnswerID: 521633

Reply By: Grizzle - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 13:06

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 13:06
As an option you might look at fitting an EGT Gauge (Exhaust Gas Temperature). Probably similar cost to a turbo timer. It allows you to see your exhaust temperatures. I try to get mine down to 200 Degrees before I switch off. Not sure where I got the 200 figure from but it makes me feel happy.

If you have the N.A.D.S fitted you may already have one.

I can normally get down to that figure by slowing down the last couple of hundred metres when pulling up.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521656

Sponsored Links