you are all geniuses

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 13:17
ThreadID: 10517 Views:1671 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
thankyou to everyone who replied too my post geniuses only apply . happy 4wding.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 14:37

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 14:37
Glenno,
One thing nobody mentioned in their replies which you may want to keep in mind..... IMHO it is not ALWAYS necessary to use a bridle when winching. You only need to spread the load across both chassis members when you are so badly stuck that there is a risk of twisting the chassis if you use one recovery point only. You would need to be stuck in mud up to you diffs etc.
I noticed in a large double page ad for TJM in the latest issue of 4WD Monthly that a 75/78 series is featured. The photo clearly shows the undercarriage section under the bullbar and 2 recovery points. Yjey appear to be largish steel plates, presumably bolted to the chassis where the bullbar is mounted and hang down a bit with largish holes for a bow shackle.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 46688

Follow Up By: glenno - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 16:30

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 16:30
thanks roachie i will have a look .
FollowupID: 308647

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 22:17

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 22:17
Hi Glenno, I may be coming in at the tail end of your query, but this may help you.
I run a 75 series troopy with a X9 super winch. When I fitted the winch, I added a couple of 15mm thick x 75mm wide flat bar straps which are long enough to extend from the bull bar securing point through the front of the bull bar fascia plate
(cut a slot) & have a 20mm hole drilled 30mm back from the end to fit a couple of 3 tonne bow shackles. I used longer high tensile bolts to secure both the plates & bull bar to each of the chassis rails.
When winching using a snatch block I come back onto either one of these points. When snatching I use a length of high tensile chain secured to both points & the snatch strap eye & when tension is applied the "A" angle between the snatch points is 60 degrees to that the strain on the points is applied in a forward direction & not tending to pull inwards. You will need about 3 meters of chain to achieve this angle. I have wiched & snatched using this setup without any problems. Cheers.Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 46726

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:45

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:45
I know I have said a lot over the past weeks, but I can not belive that anyone would subject any high tensile chain, or any chain, to a shock loading.eg. snatch recovery. Dont worry Topcat you are not the only one. I have had my say and will not comment on this subjuct any more.

Wayne
FollowupID: 308683

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 00:05

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 00:05
Each to his own methods but if you do it properly the chain is not subjected to shock when the strain is taken on. Cheers.Have Wheels Will Travel
FollowupID: 308685

Follow Up By: glenno - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:17

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:17
wayne i would only attach a snatch strap too a rated hook that was attached to the chassis . but seeing i cannot do this on the front because there is nowhere to put a hook on the front chassis i will not be putting a snatch strap anywhere near the front of my vehicle . this is what i have decided .
FollowupID: 308709

Sponsored Links