Awning Life?

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:15
ThreadID: 105187 Views:5415 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The awning on my 2007 caravan is a Dometic Sunchaser has started to de laminate.
Am I being optimistic in expecting to last this long? Even with the worst case scenario of it being erected continuously for the last six years, I would have thought that it would have lasted a lot longer than this. Also it has shrunk width wise, to the extent that the anti - flap bars will not clamp to the awning, even that previous owner(s) have drilled holes, 3 in all, I suspect progressively, as the shrinkage progressed , at each end on the roller assembly so as to get it to reach the awning.

Has any one else had a awning that has had the same problem?

The annex walls are good, as they are canvas , so no sign of deteriorating.

The awning is 18 ft wide , I am looking to spend $1175.00 for a replacement roller & vinyl roof plus fitting. Is there another brand out there that is as good or better than the Dometic one that is fitted at the moment? Would canvas be better? Any comments/ suggestions welcome.

Regards G.T.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landseka - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:31

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:31
Are you aware GT that a good van repairer would get a claim passed on your insurance to cover a new awning/ roller assembly fitted. Weather Damage.

I know because I did exactly that recently on my 2007 van on which the awning material had delaminated on the inner 400mm that is always exposed to sunlight even when retracted.

My only cost was the excess, plus of course whatever my premium increases next year...:-(

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 521715

Follow Up By: Honky - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:58

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:58
You must have a very good Insurance company as gradual wear and tear is exlcuded in most policies I have seen.

Honky
FollowupID: 802559

Follow Up By: Garry S3 - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 16:33

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 16:33
yehh.. normal wear and tear is not usually covered
FollowupID: 802580

Follow Up By: landseka - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:24

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:24
Depends how good your repairer is.
FollowupID: 802589

Reply By: Caravan & RV World - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 13:49

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 13:49
Hey G.T.

Surprisingly 6 years ins't too bad in our climate. If you have a Dometic 8300 Sunchaser you are probably better off with either just replacing the vinyl ($630) or purchasing a new roller an vinyl if you feel it could do with a new one:

http://www.caravanandrvworld.com.au/awnings-and-matting/dometic-8300-awnings/dometic-8300-18ft-roll-out-awning-granite

You shouldn't have to change the arms or hardware. Since you are just replacing the awning a handyman or someone good on the tools should be able to assist with installation.

Heres a You Tube video that shows how the vinyl installation is done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpjXXTEjCkg

There is also Carefree awnings which would be $935.45 complete with hardware. They use these on all the Jaycos and Coromals.

Feel free to call us on 1300 259 499 if you have any questions.

Hope this helps!

C&RVW
AnswerID: 521719

Follow Up By: graham B9 - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 20:58

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 20:58
Sorry but what the above comment by Caravan world is Bull----- and a ripoff.

I used to work for a caravan repairer and still do this knid of work. You can go and have made of much better materials your own "vinyl" roof for no more than $400. It is in fact PVC and not vinyl. You will need around 600GSM PVC and it will need to be at least 2700mm wided. So look for a 3 meter wide materials. See a canvas place or go to Nolans UDA, Shann, or Ricky Richards cash sales desk in any capital city. Look them up in the phone book. Buy the materials and get a canvas guy to sew for you. Better still get it PVC welded.

Taking the old one out is quite tricky as there is 2 very very powerful springs in the rollout awning barrel. If you do some study and make sure you have some assistance, wear gloves, you can do it yourself. I personally would not as I have seen what these things can do.
FollowupID: 802538

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 17:37

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 17:37
Hi GT

I replaced the awning on our 2007 van last year as it had shrunk and had started to delaminate, although that was only on the bottom flap.
I had it fitted while the van was having some major water sealing done.

I know that I was quoted more to fit just a new skin than the skin and roller systems,
as they said it took so long to remove and refit the new skin.
Off the top of my head I think it cost closer or $900 than what you were quoted.

As someone who has sold internal roller blinds for many years, I would take the opportunity to renew the roller / spring mechanism, rather than just the skin.
Sitting out in the weather can't be good for any such mechanism which is built to a price rather than quality.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521725

Reply By: bluefella - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 19:36

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 19:36
G'day GT
That's about the time frame when left to the elements (not stored undercover )
Just replace the fabric.
AnswerID: 521735

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 21:17

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 21:17
Our last awning delaminated as a result of a quick washdown with a truckwash product halfway through a trip north.

My own fault as it seems I didn't properly rinse the wash off the awning thoroughly - as advised in the instructions.

When they say - rinse thoroughly - they mean 'rinse thoroughly'

I take more time to read 'instructions' these days.

Just putting this out there in case anyone else operates like myself.....

Cheers all - Phil

Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521741

Reply By: pmacks - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 11:01

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 11:01
Hi Guys

easiest way to replace the van awning is to scrap it along a tree and then just put in an insurance claim and get a new roller and vinyl all for your excess :)

of course i am only joking and dont condone dishonest activity of any sort

pmacks
AnswerID: 521757

Sponsored Links