Moreton Island - camper trailer

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 15:33
ThreadID: 105189 Views:2184 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello hello -

Looking at hitting up Moreton after Christmas and camping up at Combyuro Point. I have been there a couple of times before with no issues getting bogged - but this time looking at taking a camper trailer.

Looking at the Government website - it says tracks are currently very dry - and camper trailers not advisable - especially the Cowan Bypass.

However - given we have had a few storms / rain lately - has anyone recently got back from there and can tell me how the tracks are?

On the beach I run 15psi in tyres and same on camper trailer. Tow vehicle is 2002 Pajero 3.2 TD auto.

Thanks heaps.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 21:10

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 21:10
Since no one has replied - we were on Moreton in April, and it was quite soft on the Cowan bypass. We normally camp at Cowan Point with the trailer, and there are no real problems, as we don't need to go through the bypass road. I'd imagine that without some significant rain before you go - that it will be very difficult. Not impossible - but difficult...there are always (well lots anyway) on that road with trailers. If you are going by yourself, perhaps a camping spot at Cowan Point would be a safer option?

Not much help...but there you go.

Cheers

Chris
AnswerID: 521739

Reply By: leightheman - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 09:55

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 09:55
Hi Chris -

Appreciate the reply - we will be travelling there with a couple of other vehicles so shouldn't be too much bother to get me out of any hard spots.

The part that stings most is the fee on the barge for bringing the trailer! :)
AnswerID: 521755

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:14

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:14
Absolutely right....If they are not careful - the barge operators will "kill the goose". It's almost out of reach now for people wanting to take a car and trailer for a week's camping! From memory it was almost $750 for the barge, camping fees, beach permit etc...

You'll be fine on the bypass travelling with other vehicles...just take the Maxtrax, and a snatch strap!
FollowupID: 802556

Sponsored Links