Anyone using an OZPIG ?

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 20:48
ThreadID: 105236 Views:6229 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi ALL

Was thinking about grabbing an old gas bottle from the local junk yard and making a wood cooker however found this one....

Is it something you would put in a crate up on the roof on a trek and use regularly ? I have a hot plate already for open fires and the gas cooker but I'm looking for something to use dead wood without setting up a larger open fire....

Any thoughts ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 22:11

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 22:11
G`day Sandman,
I went the Camping and caravan leisure thingo at the Bendigo Racecourse today and spent a fair while examining the "OZPIG" because like you, I reckoned I could make one.
After a while I passed that idea off as being too much work involved.
The fact that I have already got just about every other cooking device known to man in the shed helped come to the decision also.
But I do agree that it is a nice set up that can be used under cover and dismantles to pack away reasonably small.

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 521999

Follow Up By: Sandman - Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 22:47

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 22:47
Scrubby

Thanks Mate, exactly my line of thinking......
FollowupID: 802897

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 00:08

Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 00:08
Try this link - There are plenty of examples here. Just click on a picture and you will then find links to the articles that tell you how they were built.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522006

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 03:06

Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 03:06
We got one and are well pleased with it. Only thing we'd say is that it is great for cooking but didn't chuck out as much heat as we'd expected for just sitting around on a chilly night.
AnswerID: 522008

Reply By: Iza B - Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 05:40

Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 05:40
I knocked the top off a 9 kg bottle years ago and have nearly worn the thing out. Cut just low enough to sit in a plastic crate, you fill it with wood, flip upside down and transport a fire load of nice dry wood. Weights much less than a ChinesePIG, easier to set up, and you can put a camp oven in it. Plate on the top lets you use a very small fire to cook most things. Best thing about the small fire drum is that you do not have to keep adjusting distance from the fire all night as new wood burns down.

If you decide to DIY gas bottle to fire drum, please be very careful with your method.

Iza
AnswerID: 522009

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 08:29

Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 08:29
Ditto. Weighs about 8kg but to get the best out of it a chain saw is handy. Very toasty for the feet on those cold desert nights and if you load it up before bedtime there are coals left in the morning for a quick relight.

It's much more efficient than an open campfire and when the breeze changes you move it rather than yourself. It's also possible to place it just outside an awning that you're sitting under so you don't get dew settling on the ole bod.
FollowupID: 802906

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 08:32

Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 08:32
If you would like something really nice to cook on and will accept a camp oven, is easy clean up and folds away and great to sit around try this :-
http://www.drifta.com.au/SnowPeak.php
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522013

Reply By: Member - Bill13 - Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 10:47

Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 10:47
Hi Sandman,
Have a look at this link below at the Pig made in Kingaroy. It seems to suit all of your requirements and is very versatile in its use.
I'm sure you could try and make one but by the time you buy a hole saw, other consumerable items and power, I don't think it would be worth it and it would not be your idea anyway which to me is the big thing of making things yourself.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kingaroy/miscellaneous-goods/pig-9kg-gas-bottle-pig-choofer/1030122905
AnswerID: 522019

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 11:12

Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 11:12
I've spent some time with an ozpig. My opinion is that they are fun to have, and allow a fire in places and parks where a fire would otherwise not be allowed, and keep your feet warm, but if you want something to cook on get a weber mini q - which I also have. Neither will do the job of the other, but the mini q will do more of the stuff you actually need, but the pig is nicer to stare at whilst having an after dinner rum. If you are in a place where you are allowed to have fires anyway, then a fire pit is much easier to fiddle with the camp ovens than a pig.
AnswerID: 522021

Sponsored Links