Planning ahead which car to buy

Submitted: Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 22:06
ThreadID: 105262 Views:2233 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I have been reading posts on this forum for a while now but this is my first time posting something on the forum so pardon me for any mistakes.

As the subject says I'm planning ahead which car to buy next to avoid to getting stuck with something that it is not the right product for me.

So here is the setup that we (me and the Mrs) have in mind:

For short trips/high country rough tracks = Car, swag, small fridge and a Jerry Can of water

For long trips and holidays = Car and Tvan

The car we would like must be/have:

-Wagon
-Solid Axles
-Auto
-Drawers (I need them to carry my working tools)
-Outback spares at hand

So far I'm tossing between Nissan Patrol (possible engine swap to V8) or Toyota Lancruiser 76 Series converted to auto.

I'm aware that the Toyota will be dearer ($20k) but I still like to hear your thoughts on this two options.

Thanks a lot
Max
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 07:00

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 07:00
Hi Max

Firstly hope you enjoy it here...

We have a VDJ79 Series Dual Cab which is just being finished off for long range outback travel and we tow a TVAN. The set-up works well for us. Some pictures in my last blog...

A friend of ours has just purchased a new 76 Series and also tows a TVAN. Last weekend was spent out and about and both vehicles performed well...

My only suggestion is to have a clear picture of what you want the vehicle to do and work from there...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 522114

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 07:14

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 07:14
Max, do you already own the Tvan? If so do you know what wheel set up it has? i know that choosing the tow vehicle by the wheels on the camper is a case of the tail wagging the dog, but if everything else is equal you should take that into consideration. Nice to have matching wheels and track. If you haven't bought your Tvan yet, I would hold off till you get the vehicle.
AnswerID: 522115

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 07:23

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 07:23
Can I ask why solid axles is important?
AnswerID: 522116

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 16:21

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 16:21
Max get it all over in one hit and save some money with a 4800 Patrol, its already more powerful than its equivalent Toyota V8 - you have option of auto but don't need it as it has more torque for towing than needed.

No way would I do that engine swap or that auto conversion - stay standard as much as possible - and if you want lowest running costs as well as upfront then put the 4800 on gas but I wouldn't or didn't.

You simply can't beat the long travel coil all round solid front & rear axles, superior stability, and parts availability anywhere and a million proven accessories.

Why bother with anything else , gee we even have option to buy them made anywhere from 2001 to 2011 and at any price point.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522140

Reply By: Max & Sandra G - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 21:40

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 21:40
Thank you all guys,

Miller "stay standard as much as possible" I'd like that but that means no 76 Series as i need an Auto for work I do 40k Km per year in traffic.
4800 has high numbers in regard to power and torque but so it does in regard to l/100
I rather stay on the diesel option but that 3 litre scares me....

Member - Boobook you made a very good point and that's the reason why I'd like to discuss with others all options and share opinions. We do not have the Tvan but the Mrs she put the foot down and..... happy wife happy life = mTvan will be.
Once we decided the vehicle we'll order the Tvan. I believe on the trailer it is easier to play with rims offset.

The Landy have a clear picture of what you want the vehicle to do and work from there...
Both vehicles would do what I NEED the dilemma is:
- the 76 converted auto will be very expensive
- the Patrol 3 litre doesn't have a good reputation (no offense to anybody).

Cheers
Maximus
AnswerID: 522161

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 10:06

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 10:06
Gee Maximus , if your really doing 40,000k in traffic then its all over , you'd have to go with the 4800 auto on gas , not only cheaper but who would want to sit in that much traffic with the fumes and engine rattle and NVH diesel issues.

Get the luxury model of the Patrol - all the petrols are prettty quiet but might as well be comfortable have all the goodies to play with
while in the traffic queue.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803114

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:58

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:58
Hi Max and Sandy
I have a patrol and use it for work and for towing my van. (haven't updated the pic on here yet)
We thought about it for a long time and finally decided on the V8 Turbo Inter cooled V8.
Got ours done by Brunswick.
Was a manual and now has the 4L85E auto installed/
Its a brute of a vehicle and it does rattle
But it sure as hell can tow.

Find a nice cheap low Km 3lit and see what can be done

regards

Geoff

FollowupID: 803125

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:59

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:59
and BTW
the Patrol is about to go onto Diesel Gas new week or 2
FollowupID: 803126

Follow Up By: Max & Sandra G - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 15:20

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 15:20
Thanks a lot Geoff in SA.
Do you remember how much did it cost the conversion?
What it is your fuel consumption in town no towing?

Cheers
Max
FollowupID: 803142

Reply By: Axle - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:25

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:25
G/Day Max, ..The Patrol is a very capable vehicle, just be wary of the rear spring towers if buying second hand, there has been failures in that area over the years with ones that have carried heavy loads in rough terrain, especially the cab chassis, hence why I have never bought one for the work I am involved in {excavation)

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 522179

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 22:02

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 22:02
I agree with Axel
The patrol is all but 10' tall and bullet proof, as long as you don't expect them to jump ravines or ford water 3 mets deep.

The drive train is really robust and will not break if given a bit of a hurry up.
As Axel said be aware of the rear spring towers. they will crack esp on the cab chassis.
another thing to be aware of as well is the cab chassis has a poor towing ability. esp the 4.2 lit Only 2500kgs
The common rail was increased to a bit more but still not as good.

Mine is a 2007 model and started life as a 3 Lit manual. as such has a 3200 tow capacity.
Its now a 6.5 Lit V8 Turbo Inter cooled with a 4L85E auto transmission.
It cost me a bit as I had a bunch of other stuff completed while the heart was transplanted.
Increased tow capacity.
Cruise Control.
Auto transmission.
and a bit of other stuff.

Best bet is to see what www.brunswickdiesels.com.au have or call them.
check this page out for some costings
http://www.brunswickdiesels.com.au/for-sale.php

Nice dual cab chassis for sale
Its on Gas already so will be easy to convert once the Chevy is installed.well at least the tank is installed and the rest will be a lot easier.
And you will still get the $1000 govt rebate as well???? maybe
and its a lot cheaper than what I paid. But still remains as a manual so its all OK
Mileage is still very OK for that model as well.
And as its a 4.2

You may have a a good old tojo or nissan that will take the new power plane etc

As for mileage around town ... Its thirsty but nothing to the 4.8 petrol.
and when towing it doesn't get too much higher.
I cam back fro Perth on a new motor and it was doing about 15 for me. Wasnt trying to break any speed records.
Now about town I get maybe 18 to 19

Hope that helps with any questions or answers.

Let me know how you

Regards

Geoff.

FollowupID: 803186

Sponsored Links