Storing water containers

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:28
ThreadID: 105269 Views:1603 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Whats the general rule in storing water containers found under caravans/campers between trips? Empty them out, or keep water in them and flush them out before the next trip? How long before the water becomes unsafe to use?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:37

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:37
I have never really understood why people worry about water in their camper tanks.
We have lived with only tank water at home & never worry about draining or flushing them, sometimes it can go for very long periods with no rain & there is never any discernible difference in water quality.

I would only drain my camper tanks if I filled one of them from a questionable source, like a bore or river etc.
AnswerID: 522125

Reply By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:31

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:31
SDG
I do not know the scientific facts behind this. But what we do and why we do it is:
We fill our tanks to the brim when arriving home. That way there is no (or very little) air (contibute to algae) and the town water do contain some chlorine as well.
Before we start packing for the next trip, I take the van around the block to just unsettle anything that may have settled in the tanks (hopefully little more than dust) and drain the water onto my lawn and garden beds. Fill up with fresh water and whaLa!
Maybe it is over the top but it gives me ease of mind and no water is wasted.
CJ
AnswerID: 522129

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 14:01

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 14:01
whaLa??? lol

I believe "voila" is the term you are after

FollowupID: 803068

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:37

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:37
I am with Shaker,

I also live on tank water. I have only drained, then refilled my van tank before the last 2 trips away. Prior to that I never worried about it, I merely topped the tanks up before taking off.

You can fit a filter system between your tanks and the sink tap which will filter out most things. Dodgy water supplies won't be much of a problem if you do filter it. You only need to be concerned about the tap you get your drinking water from. A simple under sink charcoal filter will suffice I believe.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522130

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 14:30

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 14:30
Yeah, me too!

Tanks are made of the very same stuff that the RV water tanks are - in 20 something years of living with no retic water supply, and relying entorely on the catch from our roof into our poly tanks, we've not had a single tummy upset!

Those who live connected to the deodorised/disinfected/chlorinated and generally "mucked about with" water that councils supply might not find the RV tank water to be suitable - but that's their problem!
FollowupID: 803137

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 13:37

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 13:37
Bacteria can grow in RV water tanks if the conditions are right - as I understand it, you only need a tiny bit of nutrient in the water, plus heat and oxygen to start it off.... odours are just one aspect of the problem. I simply fill all the van tanks when I get home, to exclude the air: I then drain and fill at the start of the next trip. Our usually abominable Adelaide water* is treated to an extent that nothing will grow in it - perfect !
*Even for those that can't live in Adelaide (disappointing for you, I know) your own treated mains water might still be the best for the job.
AnswerID: 522132

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 16:49

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 16:49
Check if your van has a clear plastic hose (mine did )into the tank if so it will allow light to help bacteria etc to grow in the tank , change the hose so no light enters the system. Those on rainwater to their homes do not have clear pipes or hoses for this reason.
FollowupID: 803075

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 08:24

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 08:24
I empty the CT tanks to make it easier to manhandle the unit into its spot in the drive.

Occasionally I sterilise them with Miltons.
AnswerID: 522167

Reply By: LIFE MEMBER-snailbait - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 17:12

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 17:12
The general rule is when you have filled your tanks with water which has not been treated with colrine empty them and refile with treated water this will kill the bugs you may have picked up with untreated water
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522190

Sponsored Links