Camp basics

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 19:47
ThreadID: 10527 Views:2597 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am travelling on the tarmac up the coast of WA to Exmouth and then heading inland and down to Kal, snorkelling along the coast and seeing the sights next month.

My dilemma is this: I have nothing to go camping with! We are camping for about 3-4 weeks and will be in towns regularly however as we are on a tight budget (who isn't) planning to camp in free areas and the odd caravan park. I haven't camped before and the partner hasn't for about 15 years =/

So far I have a 4 man tent on loan and a small BBQ with gas bottle. I read some info here and on the list of things to take so have things to buy like a camp oven, water containers and that's kinda in control for now. I won't be camping again for a while afterwards but don't want to forget anything for this trip!

A couple questions:
Is it better to invest in a fridge (the plug in variety) and cryovac meat or don't worry about it and use a cooler and pick up meat as we go?

And is there somewhere that shows kpl for a standard 6cyl 2wd?

As the other half is down from Germany only for a month I really don't want to forget anything and now starting to panic *bites nails*
Thankies
sil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: LynRoss - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 20:21

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 20:21
Hi Silvia,

Have done this trip. If you are staying on the tarmac, you will be able to pick meat up as you go, no trouble. You won't need a camp oven if you have a bbq or water containers, this is readily available on the way. We have a plug in fridge and it is certainly worthwhile, but not absolutely necessary. You will be able to use an esky on this trip. Have fun!
Lynn
AnswerID: 46712

Follow Up By: silvia - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 20:38

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 20:38
Thanks Lynn, I remember the bbq has one of those privet things if you take off the plate so I suppose if I take a pot that would do if I was heating up water or cooking vegies??

I'd love to hear about anything you particularly liked on the trip. First time up there so am all ears.
FollowupID: 308665

Reply By: joc45 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 21:24

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 21:24
Hi Silvia,
This site has some good tips on what to take camping.
Drop me an email
gerron@bigpond.net.au
and I'll email a doco I put together on tips and a couple of recipes.
Gerry
AnswerID: 46719

Follow Up By: silvia - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:06

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:06
Yes have been reading it all over =) Thanks for offer, will email you shortly
FollowupID: 308678

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:10

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:10
G'Day,

I go camping regularly but live in a flat so storage space for gear is limited. At the moment I am also only in a mid size sedan so I have to be careful what I take.

Sounds like you have got the basics: Tent, BBQ, Water containers. I have bought a Weaco 40ltr fridge but only because I go regularly. It is a big investment if you don't get the use from it. An ice box should be OK for a once off trip as long as you ensure it is well insulated and you don't open it up too often. I bought one of the cartridge gas stoves for $40 and several cans of butane for $2 each. They have lasted a couple of trips for boiling coffee water and veges.

You'll need something to sleep on in the tent. I got a double airbed. A folding table or two is a essential. A comfy folding chair each is essential if you don't want a sore back from sitting on a log - about $50 bucks each buys good ones.

Then I got a couple of plastic tubs from Officeworks that just fit the boot of the car nicely. In one I put all the cooking gear, tea towels, dunny paper, cuos, plates, cutlery etc and in the other I put all the non-refrigerated food.

Got all that in the car. Off I go. The best way is just to walk through in your mind what you are likely to do and then note down anything you will need to do that task. EG: I will need to go for a leak at night, I will need to see where I am going so I will pack a torch!. The biggest one is cooking of course but if you approach it like this then you should not forget much.

Have a great time!

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
AnswerID: 46729

Follow Up By: silvia - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:38

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:38
Thanks =) The tubs sound like a great idea and adding tea towels to the list. I've been looking at air mattresses and there are queen size velour ones with the pump built in, they look like they would do a good job and only about $70.
FollowupID: 308681

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:58

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:58
The tubs stop all the small stuff from rolling around and getting lost in the car. Also when you get to a camp site you can just lift the tubs out of the car and everything is right there next to where you are cooking. Also if you hit a decent pot hole and something liquid breaks then the plastic tub contains the mess.

Many 4WD's have drawer storage system built into them that costs hundreds of dollars. If you use the stackable tubs you get much the same effect for about $50! Not quite as good but not far off. I use the under-bed size ones that are only about 150mm deep but about 900mm long by 400mm wide. That way you can see whats in them without digging and they stack up in one half of the boot beside the fridge/esky in the other half of the boot. All the soft studd like tent, sleeping bags, pillows etc goes on the back seat so that if you have a stack you don't get any heavy stuff in the back of the head.

The air mattress sounds like the same that I went with. Velour on top and vinyl underneath. About $60-70. Very comfy. I also got a small pump for $10 that runs off the cig lighter to blow it up, much easier!

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
FollowupID: 308684

Reply By: navaraman - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 08:33

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 08:33
I always pack a few packets of dried pasta, rice and noodle meals. The type were you just add water. If you ever get stuck for a few days, rain or vehicle breakdown, you have something quick and convenient with you. My kids love them, I tend to keep them just in case.
From experience make sure you've got the can opener in your camping supplies, mine always disappears or gets left behind.
AnswerID: 46752

Reply By: wizzer - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 17:22

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 17:22
Am i right in assuming you are leaving and returning from Perth. If so you can hire a fridge. They are really not that expexsive from Getaway Portable Hire.

wizzer
AnswerID: 46796

Reply By: Terryfied - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 18:59

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 18:59
Silvia, try places like hire em holidays in Belmont/ Kewdale area .You can hire almost everything at very reasonable prices. I used them extensively until I built up my own equipment. There are 4 or 5 good camping hire places in the yellow pages.

Terryterryfied ? yep, lets do it again
AnswerID: 46803

Reply By: silvia - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 00:31

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 00:31
Oh boy yes lol *makes note to pack can opener along with note about containers* I guess for the things I forget I can get them at shops along the way. Never knew you could hire this equipment and am ferreting the yellow pages directly, sounds ideal and thankyou for that =) Yes I am travelling from Perth up to Exmouth and then swinging in and down to Kalgoorlie and back to Perth.

I know I sound awful but I really am quite excited about my first camping trip honest!!!

One more question - how do you get a shower curtain to work for a shower if you are using one of those black baggy types? I couldn't care less but the other half is a bit, ahem, shy ;)

Thanks ever so much for your help so far *s*
AnswerID: 46841

Reply By: dingdong - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:35

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:35
Hi Silvia.

Wife & i have camped for many years most suggestions spot on but would suggest two burner gas stove & griddle iron istead of barbacue, billycan with spout, saucpan for vegies .No need for shower curtain if you camp in right places as i'm sure kangaroos & 'emus wouldn't be embarrased. If other people around wait till dark then look around in morning to see how many others did same you'd be surprised. Ps. stainles steel thermos for your cuppa's. maybe rubber mat to stand on

Cheers Darryl

AnswerID: 46931

Follow Up By: silvia - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:14

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:14
Hi Darryl

I originally considered a two burner as well! My dad's barbecue is small and portable, and it has a trivet built in over the gas ring so you can put a pot there. Do you think that would do or ought I really get off my backside and get the two burner? I have seen the billy kettles, and is on my list now along with a tub (figure it would be neater than a mat and can double for washing dishes, clothes and storage in the car).

Didn't think about washing after dark to be honest and taking that on board =) Hopefully that will work for him. Thanks!
FollowupID: 308971

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:13

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:13
Yes dont let modesty ruin your trip.. shower outdoors... after dark... I always do but then I,m thinking of of Vollunteering to pose for a Nude Vietnam Veteran's calendar. Seriously dont leave home without considering the romantic side of things either. The great Aussie outdoors can send even a German's testosterone thru the roof & if your not prepared... what a waste! Have a fantastic trip!!
AnswerID: 46956

Follow Up By: silvia - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:16

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:16
Prepared? I'm counting on it! ;)

Anyone volunteered to take the photos for the calendar yet, we could all draw straws on the forum, hehe
FollowupID: 308972

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:49

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:49
Ther is a plethora of professional photographers queueing up to take the pics... not so many Vietnam vets game to expose all... i cant understand why... maybe they are afraid of dying of laughter...
FollowupID: 309001

Reply By: dingdong - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:56

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:56
Hi Silvia.
The rubber mat was to stand on so you don't take your red muddy feet to bed with you.Can also double as a car floor mat one with holes in it available from W.A .salvage around $6-7. Wer'e off to Rudall River NT.park with 3 other couples early june .All grey nomads.

Cheers & best of luck

Darryl
AnswerID: 47021

Sponsored Links