Garmin Monterra Handheld GPS

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 14:14
ThreadID: 105271 Views:3269 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

These may have been around for a while but I have just noticed them and they look very interesting

Garmin Monterra Handheld GPS

Android OS so you can use your preferred GPS mapping program (Hema Explorer, OziExplorer, TwoNav etc) if the Garmin version isn't your favourite. Looks like it has good battery life (16 hours with Li-ion, 22 with AA's !!). You can also add other Android Apps.

As I have a GPS/map fetish having trouble resisting the temptation to purchase one to see if its better than my current TwoNav Aventura (best handheld gps I have owned to date).

Anyone out there have/used/seen one?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 13:18

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 13:18
Gidday Greg

Can't help with the query, but I would be interested in your view, as a self confessed GPs/map fetishist, why you rate the Twonav Aventura so highly
Christmas is coming and it might be a chance to splurge on something ...

cheers

AnswerID: 522182

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 14:07

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 14:07
Hello

OK - I do lots of field work (foot based) so need good handheld. I also like raster maps/airphotos. TwoNav is good as I can use ecw images (that I aslo use on PC) on relatively large screen (for a handheld gps). Good battery life (two days pretty easy (with backlight turned of when not in use). Can load gpx files as boundaries etc.

Now - you can do this (or similar) on a normal gps (e.g garmin 62s) but they are limited in regards to map image formats and file size you can use and is way to restrictive for my needs.

I typically make all my own airphotos (Google earth/microsoft virtual earth) or convert PDF supplied by people I'm working for, ..or just use 250K, 100K, 50K, 25K topo maps of area - I have all in ECW for WA (where coverage available).

Unit also has vector street maps for street navigation (like standard in car unit)

So good things about Aventura - good screen size, good battery life, ruggerdised, can use maps/airphotos on gps and on PC without need for multiple formats, can load large raster maps/images (+2GB) and easily overlay boundaries points.

Bit expensive but for work so don't matter.

Monterra looks good as it maybe able to do all the Aventura does...plus you can have other apps for other purposes e.g. field data entry.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 803132

Sponsored Links