tata

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 21:34
ThreadID: 10529 Views:3929 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
tata duel cabs.
just wondering if any body could tell me the ins and outs of these 4x4's as the price of them right
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 21:48

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 21:48
The Lada Niva was also priced right .

Wayne
AnswerID: 46724

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 22:49

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 22:49
G'day,

I have a $WD Buyer mag here that has a listing for TATA. The first line of the article says:

Indian-made, the Tata Telcoline is a rather old-fashioned ute based on a long superseded Mazda B-series.

They describe it as well equipped and the main attraction is price. They come in the full range of body styles and have optional bull-bars, side steps, rollover bars, alloys, so you can have a good looking rig for a moderate price.

"powered by a 2.0 litr Turbo-Diesel that was designed by Mazda many moons ago"

They list the strengths as Value and the weaknesses as Engine performance, Small fuel tank, and Old Design.

The japs tend to licence off their older designs to the cheaper asian makes (Old Mitsubishi engines power the Hyundai Terracan I think). The Indians have been churning out the Hindustan Ambassador for 40 odd years and you can still buy it new. It is based on the 1948 Morris Oxford!!!

The Tata would probably be a good honest vehicle without all the latest whiz-bangery but in showroom condition. I'd just like to see the look on the face of the Mazda parts dealer out the back of whoop whoop when you ask for a part from an old B-series to fit your Tata as I don't think the Tata dealer network is all that extensive!

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
AnswerID: 46727

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:10

Saturday, Feb 14, 2004 at 23:10
Beer.
The tatra trucks are realy solid, the motor is an older Peugeot unit, reliable but not very powerful. They are very good long hall units in flat country. Eric.
AnswerID: 46730

Follow Up By: Beer4bob - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:53

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:53
ok thanx i looked at a 2000 model 48000k dual cab with alloy tray bull bar but i havent driven it yet.i just dont no wether to spend money on my 94 dual cab hilux eg. new springs because the old ones are saged and it rides like a $20 skate board lol and a turbo but the motor has 250000k on it. being on a farm we need a dual cab and with a budget of around $20000 it does not buy a lot in the way of low k turbo dual cabs
FollowupID: 308736

Reply By: Beer4bob - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:58

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:58
ok thanx i looked at a 2000 model 48000k dual cab with alloy tray bull bar but i havent driven it yet.i just dont no wether to spend money on my 94 dual cab hilux eg. new springs because the old ones are saged and it rides like a $20 skate board lol and a turbo but the motor has 250000k on it. being on a farm we need a dual cab and with a budget of around $20000 it does not buy a lot in the way of low k turbo dual cabs
AnswerID: 46772

Follow Up By: Mikell - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 20:06

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 20:06
My brother has one for sale if you are interested. Same situation as you - on a farm, 3 kids, couldnt justify the cost of a hilux etc.

Anyway he has moved to Melbourne and is selling it as he now has a company vehicle. I think it is only 12 - 18 months old, alum tray, no bullbar, stock standard. Not sure on kms but should be low.

If you are interested just post here and i will chase up more info for you.
FollowupID: 308793

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:09

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:09
Beer,
I drive a Tata ute as a work vehicle with the 2 litre turbo charged intercooled diesel, I would'nt like to drive a normally aspirated 2 litre diesel, nuff said. They are solid and so far reliable, a bit noisy inside people look at me strangely when I drive to work with my ear muffs on, doesn't have air con so that is very much dependant on speed and how far open you have the windows. The engine isn't a Peugeot diesel it's a copy of a Peugeot diesel engine and apparently the cylinder heads are the weak point, mines been fine so far. Parts where a bit of a nightmare, apprently there is an agent over East somehwhere and our site garage has now made a good a permanent friend. I think we have 8 on site now a few different models. Economy is good "ish" fuel tank is small. Mines a 4wd no less with electronic high to low change over, consideraby modern seeing as some companies have only just started using this method. IFS front suspension with huge rear springs, carries loads well, front ground clearance could be an issue if your a small turtle. Paintwork seems to be good, polishes up well, the wheel flares are great for nudging things without doing any damage.
Hope some of this helps. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 46874

Sponsored Links