Road Rules reg license plates & bike racks

Submitted: Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 07:32
ThreadID: 105390 Views:5124 Replies:9 FollowUps:29
This Thread has been Archived
I currently have a rapid pop top expanda with a bike rack. Someone mentioned that they thought the license plate had to be secured on the left hand back of the caravan (if not in the middle)- is this correct? Also, does the license plate need to be visiable from all angles?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 07:51

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 07:51
I would expect it would have to be fairly visible so u don't get hassled. If the bike rack is going to be a permanent thing I would mount it to the rack u can buy a number plate bracket for bike racks or make you own.
AnswerID: 522639

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 08:51

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 08:51
Leej

I think you can order a number plate for your purpose from the RMS.

FollowupID: 803753

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 08:54

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 08:54
Sorry miss read the post.

Although, I would simply ask the police where it should be.

AnswerID: 522644

Follow Up By: tim_c - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:03

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:03
...and you'll probably get a different answer each time you ask!
FollowupID: 803771

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:11

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:11
Visible is a given. But whether it is on the left, right or middle I never thought that it mattered as long as it was visible from all angles.

So if you mount it on the left and have a bike rack in the middle with bikes hanging back past it then it is quite possibly not visible from the right lane or side of the road or what ever. And thus illegal.

On a personal note if you do not have bikes on the rack it would be great to fold it up or even remove it. I hit one once while leading a grand child and very nearly lost my eyesight. Just a gentle reminder. Fair enough?

Phil
AnswerID: 522646

Follow Up By: tim_c - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:31

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:31
I can't see why it should matter whether it's left or right - otherwise either my previous car (a Holden Jackaroo which had the rego plate on the RHS) or my current car (Toyota Prado which has the rego plate on the LHS) would be illegal.

I'd doubt the rego plate on either of them are visible from the other side of the vehicle, noting that both of these cars have the spare wheel mounted right next to the rego plate.
FollowupID: 803757

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:43

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:43
This is for the ACT:

The Regulation requires that a numberplate is not obscured, defaced or otherwise not legible.
The Regulation requires that a numberplate must be visible at a distance of 20 metres from it
and within all the areas described by an arc extending at an angle 45° above the surface of the
numberplate and 45° above and to either side of the vehicle as shown. This is depicted on
following pages 2 and 3 in Figure 1 for light vehicles, Figure 2 for trailers, Figure 3 for
motorcycles and Figure 4 for heavy vehicles.

More at: Number plate visibility

I thought that was what I said.

Phil
FollowupID: 803760

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:44

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:44
Phil,
I positively agree with your sentiments about removing empty bike racks. They are very dangerous especially when vehicles are parallel parked.
I have seen reference to legislation that requires their removal when not in use.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 803761

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:27

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:27
Hi Allan There is a reference to it in the ACT documents and the words are quite specific enough.

The ACT guide states:

[quote]
Why do I have to remove the bike rack when it is not being used?

Removal is necessary for two reasons:
1. To protect other people (third parties) from injury.
• Because it protrudes from the rear of the vehicle, the bike rack can cause injury to other people who are unaware it is there. Children moving around the vehicle are particularly vulnerable.
• You may be liable for these injuries.
2. To prevent damage to the vehicle’s tow bar.
• There is evidence to suggest that the combination of light weight and slender column type construction of the bike racks can cause a high frequency vibration, leading to metal fatigue of the tow bar tongue and ultimately its failure.
• If the tow bar tongue should fail while being used for towing, there is a very real risk of the trailer, caravan etc. colliding with someone and/or another vehicle.

What else should I do to minimise the risk of injury to other people?
Padding should be applied to any sharp projections on the bike rack that cannot be removed.
[/quote]

It's a shame that the word "should" is used. That is one of the ways people can get "around" the law.

And just in case we have some "pickers" wanting to have a go at me, I am all for a way of carrying bikes. I just want it done safely.

Phil
FollowupID: 803764

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:37

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:37
Phil,

Here are the Regs for NSW:

NSW bike carrier regs.

Guess they can nab you if considered dangerous:

Penalties apply if:
? The bicycle rack or any bicycle fitted to it obscures any light (including the centre mounted stop light)
or the number plate.
? The bicycle rack, with or without bicycle/s, creates a dangerous protrusion to either side, or the rear of
the vehicle
FollowupID: 803766

Follow Up By: tim_c - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:14

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:14
Hmm, interesting reference document there Phil!

It seems BOTH my previous car (Jackaroo) and my current car (Prado) are illegal (along with almost everything else with a factory rear-mounted spare wheel) - there's no way you'd see the whole rego plate at 45º on the opposite side of the car - the spare wheel would obstruct at least part of the number plate.
FollowupID: 803772

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:20

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:20
Pretty much the same Lyn.

The wording could be strengthened a bit where they say "Make sure" etc. What ever happened to "shall" and "will". Are they scared of upsetting some one.

Yeah I agree with your comment. What do they mean by a "dangerous protrusion". To some the whole bike is a dangerous protrusion. Even the handlebars could kill if you hit then after flying off a motor bike. Same as the fishing rod holders at the front. Hmmm Wishy washy wording again.

Law!! Thank god I don't have to interpret in in court.

Phil
FollowupID: 803773

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:24

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:24
Hi Tim

All laws change. I recall when we didn't even have to have seat belts in the car let alone wear them. And there wasn't any speed limit out of towns.

Things change. And hopefully for the betterment of all not just a minority. Not that I didn't say always for the best.

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 803774

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:30

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:30
Off topic I know.

I was led to believe the bullbar mounted fishing rod holder's were illegal in all states. I hope so, so is anyone able to clarify?
FollowupID: 803778

Follow Up By: SDG - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:36

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:36
yep. Anything that prutudes from the from of the vehicle. Driving lights are as well if they are protruding forward. Was told if the rod holders can be positioned behind the bullbar, without sticking out, they are fine.
FollowupID: 803779

Follow Up By: SDG - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:39

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:39
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/vehicle_standards.html
FollowupID: 803781

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 21:03

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 21:03
Actually, SDG, anything that protrudes beyond the original profile, so an attachment to the bullbar that projects forward of the bullbar profile is illegal.
As, in fact, is a towbar that is not in use. Strictly speaking, the ball and tongue, should be removed from the vehicle unless in use for towing, if it projects beyond the rear profile of the vehicle as original. The rear mounted spare wheel is counted as original profile, so Tim doesn't have to worry!
FollowupID: 803870

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:38

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:38
Hi Lee,

Legislation may vary from State to State but the following is an extract from Queensland laws. Google to find legislation for your State.

"The characters on the number plate must be visible from 20 metres (m) away at any point within an arc of 45 degrees from the surface of the plate, above or to either side of the vehicle. Number plates must be permanently attached to a vehicle so that when it is on level ground the plates are upright, horizontal, and not more than 1.3 m above the ground."

"If a bicycle rack or other accessory fitted to the front or back of your vehicle makes your plate hard to read, you need to buy an accessory plate. An accessory plate is a smaller plate that displays your vehicle's registration number and it may be attached to either the front or rear of the vehicle accessory, as long as it is legible from a distance of at least 20 metres from the accessory. An accessory plate can be obtained from any Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre. You will need to pay a fee to obtain an accessory plate."
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 522651

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:46

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:46
Pretty much the same as in the ACT.
FollowupID: 803762

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:43

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:43
As posted elsewhere, in VIC you can also temporarily move the cars rego to the bike carrier but how's going to do that?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803844

Reply By: LeeJ - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:08

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:08
Excellent- thanks everyone. This makes it much clearer. It would be clearly visible from 20m at an arc of 45 degrees- although I might be in trouble when the bikes are on. Think it might a good idea to look into that additional plate- if only for a little assurance.

In regards to the bike rack being dangerous when not in use. The bike rack is permantly attached- welded on. There was no other way. Perhaps I can make it safer though which a bright orange flag attached to the end to clearly identify it to passers by....
AnswerID: 522654

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:41

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:41
In VIC just have a bike rack number plate, please also note in VIC it is illegal to have a bike rack attached to the vehicle if it doesn't have a bike on it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522657

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:42

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:42
Forgot to add rack number must be illuminated at night.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803767

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:02

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:02
That one's always confused me a little. There has to be some leeway otherwise we'd all have to carry blow up bikes to hang off the carrier when we park and head off on our ride. Or do they expect that the whole shebang will be dismantled and "mantled' (lol) every time?
FollowupID: 803838

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:41

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:41
Yeah agree totally, also what about when leave want to take the bike for sevice, or drop off the rider and go to the end point later to pick them up?

Ok if you can fit it in the car but a real pain when you have to do so.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803843

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 13:08

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 13:08
I don't think that's anything to worry about. It would not be worth the courts time to proceed. All you would need to do when you got back to find the bluey on the windscreen is take a photo (date and time stamped naturally) of the car showing the location (mountain car park etc) and the bikes leaning on the car. Send the photo in with a letter explaining the situation. All cancelled I bet.

I don't think that it would work though if parked at a supermarket. All the ones that I have seen come off quickly and easily and could be left in the car or back at the tent/van.

Phil
FollowupID: 803846

Reply By: SDG - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:31

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:31
Was recently told by Jayco in Albury, that it will soon be, if not already, illegal to have bikes on the back of a van. Something about not being able to see them properly, in the event of them falling off. They can also cause a balance issue.
He also commented, when I was enquiring about getting one, that warranty is not covered for any damage done to the back end of the van if using one. He stated my rear bar for example is rated at 30kg. The spare tyre weighs about 27kg.
AnswerID: 522661

Follow Up By: steved58 - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 16:36

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 16:36
I think that would be slightly wrong as jayco offer rear bike racks as a factory fitted option on most vans hence warrenty would auotomatically apply
Steve
FollowupID: 803793

Follow Up By: SDG - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 19:34

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 19:34
Could be just the type I have. We were discussing the variety that attach to the rear bar, or hung off wheel. Either that, or the sales rep don't know what he is talking about. lol
FollowupID: 803807

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 13:22

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 13:22
Why not go to the relevant state authorities ask them, hey they may even know...... too hard!

At least you would have the correct information.

Next week dazza from the pub will be giving free tax and legal advice.
AnswerID: 522664

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 15:55

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 15:55
Ever considered changing your screen name to
olgrumpyone?
or
olsarcasticone? LOL
FollowupID: 803791

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:07

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:07
No I only get grumpy when people ask legal questions when it is only a simple 5 minute phone call to speak to the people who enforce the laws or set the laws and in return get the correct reply.

Some would sooner ask a forum and get twenty different answers and a whole heap of if's But's and maybes....... and still not know the answer or interprate or get the wrong answer and take it a fact.

Emailing is a good idea as you can keep a copy of the correspondence in case you have to use it to prove it's legal.

There use to be an ad on TV that was set in a scene of a back yard bbq with a some mates standing around drinking and the catch phrase was "would you ask your mate Dazza for financial advise"...... Dazza was a no hope mate.

And on a parting note...... it seems many have lost the art of communications by voice over a telephonic system or in person and email is losing numbers as well........ hence why at work we have set up a text only number for people who have lost the ability to communicate normally either from the lack of how too or from a disability/medical condition, we handle about 30 text messages a day.

And how dare you call me GRUMPY...... I am not GRUMPY......LOL ROFL LOL..... might have something to do with xmas..... I hate xmas and birthdays and any other Hallmark manufactured occasions.

Now where are those tablets......

FollowupID: 803794

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:46

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:46
LOL Olcoolone. Even FDL (You may need to ask me about that one)

Some are not skilled at Google searching and find it easier to simply ask on a forum. There are usually some there, like me, who are willing to do a search on their behalf.

Your text-only phone number is interesting. Very appropriate for the younger generation who are so skilled at texting. That's NOT me!

Perhaps I should not wish you Merry Xmas! I'll just say Cheers Mr Grump. (and a LOL)
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 803795

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 18:06

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 18:06
Merry Christmas LOL
FollowupID: 803802

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 19:48

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 19:48
Olcoolone,

Most like to participate on this forum, such as myself, just as you do also, that's obvious. That adds to its appeal.

We get a good spread of advice both correct and not so correct. LOL

So what, that's what we like about this place and it keeps us coming back, even the knockers.

After all, the narks would have nothing to do if it wasn't for conflicting info. LOL.

Like Allan B said, some of us cannot manage a lot of these modern technologies so any help we can get is appreciated.

Anyway it is better to give than receive, so they say.

So you keep giving it to us old mate. ROFLMAO

Oh and Merry Xmas to you and yours.

By the way a friend has "Grumpy's Humpy on his caravan.
They also call him "Grumpah". No relation is he??? LOL.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803808

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 20:56

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 20:56
Is dazza his forum name? I don't want to get my tax advice from a fake dazza.
FollowupID: 803814

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 22:51

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 23:05

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 23:05
The regulation on number plates should be pretty consistent from stste to stste because they are mandated by federal legeslation.

It my not be a document specificaly for other vehicles but VSB01, the legeslative summary for light trailer manufacture, has all the requirements clearly stated.

AND height is a definite issue to.

As for claiming that any factory fitted motor vehicle number plate does not comply.....serioulsy you are dreaming.
Get out your builders square and check.

As for making your own accessory number plate....I don't think so...its been a very long time since private individuals have been permitted to make number plates.

cheers

AnswerID: 522683

Sponsored Links