Ovens in van yes or no

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:09
ThreadID: 105400 Views:2753 Replies:20 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone.
Do I need an oven in my van? If you have one do you use it?
If you don't have one do you wish you did?

Kay.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:34

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:34
Hi Kay,

Don't have a van so can't offer a direct answer. But maybe ask yourself the following questions to find your answer.
Do you use your oven at home much?
What foods would you normally cook in an oven at home that you cant do without while you are travelling?
How long will you be travelling in your van - you may use an oven more on long trips, especially if they are done when the weather is cooler.
Do you do campfire cooking where you can make damper, camp roasts, stews etc?
Do you want your van full of cooking smells, vapours?

When we travel (in a much more basic rig than a van) and for up to 4 months at a time, we take some pre-prepared meals, vac packed and frozen, and use a camp oven for roasts, stews and damper.

Hope that helps a bit!

Cheers,
Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 522694

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:44

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:44
We have one. Rarely use it. Occasional roast.
We also have a bread maker. Use it lots.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 522697

Reply By: Member - Jefec (WA) - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:47

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:47
Our gets used on almost every trip. Works on gas. Have roof mounted fan so no odours in van. Jim
AnswerID: 522698

Reply By: landseka - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:50

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:50
We included one in our van build in 2007, used it twice. Just updated vans and this one has no oven by choice.

We carry a Weber BabyQ on which most cooking is done.

If something too large to go in the Baby needs cooking I carry a Turbo Oven which operates on a table under the awning.

No smells inside.
AnswerID: 522699

Follow Up By: landseka - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:52

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:52
I should add, the glass bowl on the Turbo Oven is just so easy to clean compared to a fixed oven.
FollowupID: 803837

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:24

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:24
Agree with landseka, a BabyQ and/or a Camp Oven will do 90% of what you need to do .... but it's a personal choice.
FollowupID: 803839

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 16:11

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 16:11
+1. We have a Sovereign BBQ and use it more as an oven than a BBQ, but it is either, depending on the meal. Very versatile.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 803853

Follow Up By: racinrob - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 16:57

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 16:57
Like many others we use a Baby Q outside for most of main meals, also like to use a camp oven when the opportunity arises, (fires permitted), for a damper or corned beef. We carry a Jaffle or Pie Iron, it's always a nice change for breakfast or lunch.
Rob.
FollowupID: 803855

Follow Up By: hooks - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 21:35

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 21:35
Hi landseka
Thanks for your response.... can you tell me more about the turbo oven please? Kay
FollowupID: 803873

Follow Up By: landseka - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 22:08

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 22:08
Hi Hooks, this is the type thing I have http://tinyurl.com/knaes4h

There are cheaper alternatives available but the warranty is excellent even to (from memory) 5 years against breakage on the glass bowl.

So much easier to clean than a oven built in the van.
FollowupID: 803877

Reply By: Skulldug - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:36

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:36
We opted not to have an oven in our van. It seems a bit like cooking in the bedroom.

Skull
AnswerID: 522701

Reply By: Pimbi - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:44

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:44
Van dealer in Adelaide said lots of traded vans come in with oven manual still in ithe oven.Never been used.
AnswerID: 522702

Reply By: steved58 - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:17

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:17
Hi kay
I use our oven a lot no problem with smells
Our last van had no oven so we carried a small snack oven but it is no good away from mains a good gas oven is the way to go we had a bread maker waist of time to noisy and slow wraps are the way to go when bread is hard to get
Steve
AnswerID: 522704

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:19

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:19
Our van's Smev oven gets used a lot, both in caravan parks and while free camping - we find that after having camper trailers for 10 years, our travel diet is much improved because the oven opens up more convenient cooking possibilities. We always fry/grill/roast outdoors in the Cobb or on a portable griller etc. (to avoid lingering cooking smells in the van) but the oven is great for scones, vegetable slices, casseroles, puddings etc. As mentioned above, your preferred cooking habits at home can transfer to the van if you have an oven. Oh.... as for the microwave..... we've carted that all over Oz and hardly used it.... pretty much useless for us.
AnswerID: 522705

Reply By: Herbal - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 13:46

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 13:46
As others have said...Personal choice.

If it helps, there is almost nothing that needs an oven that cannot be done with a BBQ or a wok...I have even made bread rolls and damper in my wok...The main thing to watch is the temp. You don't have precise control with a wok or BBQ, it is either "hot", "very hot" or "bloody hot mate" ;)

An oven will, of course, give much better heat control for things like cakes and deserts etc.

I do quite a lot of roasting and baking...in fact, I am about to bake a loaf of bread for dinner tonight...and I cannot honestly remember the last time I used an oven.
AnswerID: 522707

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 13:48

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 13:48
We ordered our current van 3 years ago without an oven and have no regrets. An oven takes a lot of space so you would need to use it a lot to justify it - we find a large pot drawer more valuable and we use that all the time.
For roasting, baking and bread the Baby Q is great and economical to run. A thermal cooker does wonderful soups and casseroles while we are out and about and uses almost no gas at all. Even at home I never use the oven for casseroles now.
Caravanning is supposed to be fun and relaxing - no way do I want to even think of cleaning an oven! We use the Baby Q all the time for roasts at home now too!
Even on really long trips we have never wished for an oven. Lynne
AnswerID: 522708

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 14:53

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 14:53
Hi Kay,

As Val said in her reply, firstly ask yourself whether you use an oven at home very frequently.

Cooking is one of my great interests, along with eating!
I have one in my current van and had one in the previous van, and love it. I use it quite often when we are travelling for roasting vegetables for salads, baking healthy cakes and slices, oven steaming fish in foil/baking paper parcels amongst other things.
If we are powered and can run the aircon, I can still use it without heating up the van inside too much.
Not sure why people don't cook inside their vans. Our exhaust fan helps get rid of odours (most of them smell delicious anyway) and unless the weather is very hot, I always use the cooktop and/or oven.
I believe for better resale value, a van needs an oven. I would not consider buying one without.

When we are able, we use a campfire and camp oven to cook on/in. When its very hot, I cook outside on a single butane powered gas burner.

This works for us.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 522709

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 16:57

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 16:57
WE have had 4 vans, two with ovens and two without. When we were looking for another van SWMBO demanded that we get a van with a full oven.
Her reason was that some times when the weather or fire restrictions does not permit
the use of fires so that we cannot use the camp oven she could still cook cakes and a roast if warranted. Our current van has said oven and I have found that the oven is used regularly. We love our pies and baked meals.
Yet I still use the camp oven regularly. So the van oven gives us another choice when cooking.
I upgraded the range hood in the van by adding an additional fan in the exhaust system to help vent the stove. Specially when cooking toast. Helps stop the smoke alarm going off.

It often amuses me that people will not cook in their van yet skite about their kitchen, why have one when you don't use it.
Same goes for the onsuite.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522712

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 18:02

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 18:02
Kay,

Back in the '80's, we lived in a van, with wall oven, for nearly 6 years. As most of the time was spent on the Barkly Tablelands, firewood was a scarce commodity, so we rarely had a camp fire. And being on cattle stations, there was plenty of beef available so we had lots of roasts, casseroles and baked steak, as well as usual cakes and biscuits.

Asked this morning if she would have an oven in a van again, Linda replied "yes, if we were staying in one spot a lot". At the moment we don't use the oven much at home, usually use the microwave and fry pan. Do have a Turbo Oven, and they're the "bee knees".Cook a beautiful roast, chicken kiev etc, and easy to clean.

So think we would have an oven in the van.....if we had a van :-)

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522713

Reply By: Member - KEITH W (QLD) - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 20:24

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 20:24
we have one in our van and love it, use it alot..
keith
AnswerID: 522720

Reply By: Robert O - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 20:58

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 20:58
Kay
It probably depends on how much time you spend in you van, we spend six months at a time in our van fitted with an oven and we wouldn't be without it, we carry a Baby Q as well, sure you can cook cakes and biscuits in the Q but it is much easier in the oven. Don't know what the fuss is about regarding smell.
AnswerID: 522722

Reply By: hooks - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 21:43

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 21:43
Thanks everyone for all your comments. By your answers I think we definitely need to get a BabyQ and have until late Feb. to decide on the oven. Kay
AnswerID: 522724

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 09:23

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 09:23
A Baby Q will become your favourite piece of equipment. Make sure you get a gas outlet for it on your van - ours is in a location that enables us to cook under the awning if it is raining or move it further away if we wish. Get the model with the high lid and thermometer so you can fit a good sized roast in it. Enjoy planning your van! Lynne
FollowupID: 803888

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 22:23

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 22:23
We have an oven in the Bushtracker. It was unused when we bought the van (11yrs old). I have used it once. We use the gas cooktop sometimes to boil.
I prefer to cook outside with the Webber baby Q, butane cookers or campfire.
Cooking inside is for home..though even there most of the cooking is done on the Webber family BBQ.
I used to have a Windsor caravan with an oven, never used the oven, just the cooktop.
AnswerID: 522726

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 11:27

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 11:27
We paid extra in our new van to upgrade stove to one with an oven. The 2 features my wife likes the most in our van (in terms of usefulness & convenience) is the washing machine and oven. When travelling she uses it for baking cakes mainly (once or twice a week) and occasionally a roast dinner. No fumes at all just have the exhaust fan on. There is nothing like home made cakes especially ones with lemon icing (from bush lemons found along the way) and a fresh cup of tea. Is there anything better than the smell of freshly baked cakes and anzac biscuits? For us an oven is essential. Just depends on what your cooking/baking agenda is.

AnswerID: 522743

Follow Up By: hooks - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:04

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:04
I agree Wamuranman, My weekly job as a boy was to bake 2 trays of Anzac biscuits for Mum. I can remember that smell vividly. I think you have convinced us.
Bob & Kay
FollowupID: 803929

Reply By: SDG - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 17:58

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 17:58
The only thing I cook at home in an oven is a nice roast.
If I want one when travelling, I go to the nearest pub/club
AnswerID: 522760

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 21:28

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 21:28
but it's never anywhere near as good as home cooked

having said that, in 12 years vanning, we've never even had an oven but the cook says she wouldn't mind one as she uses it a lot at home. We either use the camp oven or Weber and I would say they are always better than a pub roast. I think she'd just like the convenience of an oven. No big deal though. Just interesting how people set up.
FollowupID: 803926

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 01:02

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 01:02
When we are touring, we are on holidays and I want to get meals quickly and easily, so the oven is not used often, however I would not be without it. I use it to make bread rolls, a 'damper' loaf, brown cheese topping on easy meals, and make a cheat's roast by browning vegetables while reheating a purchased roast chicken. I am not much of a cakes and biscuits cook at the best of times. With limited travelling time, we are on the move or away on day trips most days.

I carry no electric appliances for cooking - bulky, heavy and I can still cook on gas even if we go to a powered site.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 522779

Sponsored Links