Powertech inverter MI 5106 beeps all the time

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 21:33
ThreadID: 105420 Views:13577 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello. My Powertech inverter MI 5106 (400w) works but there is a beeps all the time when I switch it on. I´ve got no manual and the fan doesn´t work. What could be the problem? Maybe the fan? And where can I get a new fan?

Thanks, Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 21:52

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 21:52
Michael
Are you using the clips and leads it was supplied with?
If yes. are they direct to the battery terminals, or other position connected to the battery?

Often the supplied leads are not good conductors of electricity due to small cable copper and sus crimped lugs. Although it works the input voltage to the circuitry may be marginal even though it is using a good battery.

Dedicated leads and sound connections are best. I have a Square wave 600w and it doesn't like the leads it came with.

Not sure if the fan runs all the time or only when the internal temp requires cooling.
If the fan doesn't run at all/ever there might be a circuit board problem.
If only the fan it can be sourced from Jaycar.

Careful inside the unit though, and only work on it fully disconnected from battery. Lethal little boxes these things.
AnswerID: 522767

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 23:54

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 23:54
Hi Ross
That is all good advice
I suspect low voltage warning goes at10<,11V due to exccessively low voltage at the Dc input
Possible causes:
Poor Connections, dirty, loose,undersized,
Cable to light for distance

Battery :Sick [low capavity , suphated up] ,near flat
TestBY:
FIrst :check voltage at battery while inverter is running & beeping, should be Absolute minimum 12V up to 12.6V
if lower than 12V you have an undercgarged battery or a stuffed battery

If above 12V
2ND: if possible check dc voltage at inverter input terminals should be no less than 11V but if below that would suggest the cables are TOO SMALL for the distance or you have bad connections

Be careful on opening the case , even with the input switched off
Some nasty surprises can lurk in there for some time after the unit has been switched off!!.

PeterQ
FollowupID: 803933

Reply By: John and Regina M - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:35

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:35
Toss it. Not worth repairing.
And they're lethal with 240V and no RCD
AnswerID: 522771

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 23:29

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 23:29
The MI-5106 is one of the better ones of that type being electrically isolated Michael and if I read you correctly you say it has no fan when it has nothing plugged into it ?
This is correct operation - fan will start when loaded or hot.
(you should have nothing plugged into it when first turning it on.)

Beeping usually occurs on low battery voltage (10.5v) , but this shouldn't be if you have no load unless your battery is flat.

Is your red fault light on - its next to on led.

I note replies above and concur that if you have a big load on it the supplied battery cables may be inadequate but they should certainly be ok for no load and small loads.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522776

Reply By: KevKim37 - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 20:38

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 20:38
I have a friend who recently purchased a Powertech MI5700 - 180 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter and even when connected with original short lead/cigarette lighter plug straight to battery which is near full charge with heaps of solar input it goes into overload mode. When connecting Laptop computer it operates for about a minute sometimes longer depending on the depth of discharge in the Laptop battery.
When switching on computer it (inverter) will if still running drop into overload mode immediately.
I myself have a 10 year old SEA Piccolo 150 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter which is connected close to the battery and will run two Laptops whilst charging and using both computers.
After trying different solutions apart from cutting off the cheap looking Cigarette Lighter Plug and possibly voiding Warranty, I myself think that these inverters are not up to scratch. Even after the Agent here gave them another unit which does exactly the same he refuses to credit as they have lost their Invoice and is not being very helpful.
Oh also they have tried a friends Powertech Can type 120 watt Inverter (Modified Sine Wave) and it works fine. What to do next?
Cheers Kev.

AnswerID: 522870

Reply By: Michael S25 - Thursday, Dec 12, 2013 at 22:57

Thursday, Dec 12, 2013 at 22:57
Thank you very much guys. I will test the inverter on another battery and if that´s not the problem I try another cables.

Hope that´s it:).
AnswerID: 522966

Sponsored Links