deddick track

Submitted: Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:22
ThreadID: 105432 Views:3061 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all has anyone been down the Deddick trail lately as im planning on doing this on the sunday of the oz day weekend but I was told you can only travel the track in a northerly direction?? as my plan is to travel the opposite way going south is it a one way track or just a recommendation & how much harder is the track heading south compared to north thanks for any comments
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:10

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:10
Hi putrol
It's been awhile since I have been on this track but it is a lot harder going south east than coming from the east to Mckillops bridge there is some steep climbs going SE if it is wet and you are not a 4x4 driver as such it could be a bit hard.
coming from the E to the BR it has some steep down hill sections which has red clay and if you are not experienced enough you could go off the track(if the track is wet).
After saying that it is a good drive through to Yalmy rd .
Cheers hope this helps
AnswerID: 522827

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:22

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:22
G'day putrol,

we passed some vehicles heading south near the McKillops Bridge end.
I didn't see any signs saying you had to go one way, either end.

It's steep in parts going both ways. If it's wet I'd stay away for sure.

Great drive and a nice camp spots about half way through.

Steve
AnswerID: 522828

Reply By: Member - Donnyj - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:24

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:24
Myself and two 4WD friends from Albury did this trail just on a month ago, travelling south to north, starting from the Yalmy Road and exiting at McKillops. Very, very steep in a couple of places and quite doable but I wouldn't go in there with a soft-roader type vehicle. A track for REAL 4WDs and don't even think about taking a camper trailer. It would be harder travelling south as you would be doing the really steep bits going UP. There were many steep sections where two vehicles would not be able to pass but we didn't meet any other vehicles. Just use the UHF to arrange passing manoeuvres. We arranged our trip to camp overnight beside the Broadbent River, about the halfway mark. Good drive, and easily the steepest stuff I have driven on. I have great respect and admiration for the dozer operators who put it in!
AnswerID: 522829

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:46

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:46
No restrictions going either way.
No sure who told you there was.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522831

Reply By: putrol - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 19:45

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 19:45
thanks for all your replies all 4wds are well set up & have plenty of experience so its sound like we will have some fun as we like a challenge & I just found this link http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/315641/Park-note-Snowy-River-National-Park.pdf it says
Due to its very steep and rugged terrain, the
Deddick Trail should only be traversed in a
northerly direction and in dry weather conditions.
This 3 hour drive commencing from Yalmy Rd to
McKillops Rd, includes the scenic Roger River,
Mountain Creek and Ash forests of Mount
Gelantipy.
AnswerID: 522867

Sponsored Links