Tyres in Storage

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1055 Views:1733 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has any one ever bought tyres and put them in storage so that the rubber supposedly cures harder before using them? If so was there any difference to the longjevity (I thing thats right) or other problems? Or is this just a furfy?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00
Gday Rod,
This definately works for racing rubber. It will harden by putting it through warm/cool cycles. Apparently the plasticisers come out of the rubber making it harder. Whether this translates to road/4WD rubber I don't know. The 2 types of tyres grip using different principles. I'm not sure it would increase the longjevity (sp?) of a tyre, though it will reduce grip level.
AnswerID: 3231

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Slunnie : you are a beauty !!
I spoke to Michael Schumacher in my ( wet ) dreams, and he uses old tyres from last season --- you are a f...ing joking old mate !!

Storing tyres is an old idea from the dark ages when technology did not exist... NEW tyres provide the best features of whichever tyre you choose. Ageing rubber deteriorates and in basically dangerous when taken to extremes !!

Steve-- the real Steve
AnswerID: 3237

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

If you spoke to Michael Schumacher in your dreams then you will have heard of scrubbed tyres. No they are not tyres used from last season, they are tyres put through a warm/cool cycle on the same weekend as a race meet. If you continue to do this process it continues to harden the rubber, and is not specific to Grand Prix racing. You obviously don't know about this, which to me explains your response. For road, or off road tyres I don't know why you would want to harden a tyre (as I've said Steve, a slick grips using different principles to a regular tyre) or even if you can harden the tyre. Again in response to the question, yes you can age a tyre to harden it, but I don't know if it works on a road tyre. No, I wouldn't recommend doing it to a road tyre. Where he heard this theory I would assume is from motor racing. Anything here unclear just ask.
FollowupID: 1306

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00
Slunnie,

Having been in that situation, you are 100% correct. On the storage idea, putting tyres in storage can make them last longer as it does allow the plastisizers to "go off". However, as it hardens the tyre it can change the performance characteristics (though probably unnoticeable on a fourby).

Steve - the polite one
FollowupID: 1308

Reply By: Trev - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

Rod I use two sets of tyres. On-road and off-road. When not in use they are in a shed out of the sunlight. Have noticed if you don't use them they will not wear out. No proof at all on the other theory. Trev
AnswerID: 3241

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

No direct experience, but how much of a new tyre is actually rubber? As far as I am aware this process was for RUBBER tyres. Something to think about! Cheers.
AnswerID: 3246

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2002 at 00:00

No direct experience, but how much of a new tyre is actually rubber? As far as I am aware this process was for RUBBER tyres. Something to think about! Cheers.
AnswerID: 3247

Reply By: John - Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 00:00
Knew a highway patrolman years ago who always used retreads on his own car. He would have a replacement set of tyres in the shed for at least 12 months before he needed to use them. Claimed that retreads from the dealer were 'green' and needed at least 12 months to cure before use. Swore by retreads and said he got the same mileage from them as he would from a new car.
AnswerID: 3248

Sponsored Links