Tent-Tanamai Tourer

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 20:36
ThreadID: 10550 Views:2660 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Anyone have feedback on the Tanamai Tourer?
Tanamai Tourer
Thanks
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 21:21

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 21:21
Subtle
AnswerID: 46811

Follow Up By: Gajm - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:12

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:12
Chris, I have to apologise! The short post and link to the site made me think it was an attempt at free advertising like some tyres were a while ago.

Glenn -I think the heat has made me bitter and twisted
FollowupID: 308820

Follow Up By: ChrisM - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:25

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:25
OK Glenn
Turns out I can not spell, it should be TANAMI.
Once I searched on that, I found this site with a review of the cheaper China made Tanami.
Review

Can't find much else though.
Chris
FollowupID: 308824

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 21:25

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 21:25
I have a Tanani Tourer and love it. Lottsa headroom .. somwhere to hang stuff off the arms. Initially a little tricky to setup, but after a couple of goes it falls into place. Packs up into a nice size, and with the bag for the centre pole, it's pretty compact for my use.
Jack No trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 46812

Follow Up By: ChrisM - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 21:57

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 21:57
Thanks Jack
Do you have the Aust. made, or the import? I am interested in the floor quality, which varies according to where the tent is made.

Also what is the front canopy area? It is difficult to work out from their website.
FollowupID: 308817

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:48

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:48
Hi Chris:

I bought a factory second Tanami for a lot less than the price of a new one. It came with a wax stick to waterproof the seams, as the tent was not guaranteed waterproof. When it arrived I got it very wet and allowed it to dry out a couple of times and it seems to be OK under a hose.
But then ... I always throw up a tarp over any tent I use.

I also have an Oztent, but do not always want to put a roof rack on, so the Tanami was a good option.

The annexe area is not huge, but adequate. But with the tarp (mine is 24' x 12') I have an undercover area and so the annexe is not an issue.

I think the amount if additional internal space one gets through the use of the arms is a big bonus in a tent of this type. I do tie mine down using all ropes, and it is quite secure in winds, and the window design is great. Full flow through ventilation on a warm night is a plus over my single window Oztent.

I had bought the factory second to try it out and perhaps go tot he full Aussie version later, but I don't see the need really. I will stick with this one for some time.

Hope this is of use.

JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
FollowupID: 308905

Follow Up By: ChrisM - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:44

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:44
Thanks Jack
The Tanami is looking good.
Chris
FollowupID: 308937

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:27

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:27
I recently bought an Australian made one and have been out twice with it. It is a great tent to use. It goes up in 15 minutes easily although you have to be careful of the arms on the pole because they can bite. It has great head clearance and the arms that support the roof are very handy to hang things on. The built on awning is adequate but I am sure for longer stays it might be the thing to have some "clip on" side extentions. It comes down as quick as it goes up. I had an Oztent which is really quick but to cumbersome to carry and too short in length so my feet touched one end and my head the other.
In a high wind the Tanami rocks about a bit but this can be lessened by placing the guy ropes that attach to the awning and front wall in a certain pattern that Camping Direct do not tell you about. They provide 6 guy ropes and only 4 obvious places to put them. The second night out in it we had a tremendous wind storm with some rain. Although the tent rocked and rolled it showed no sign of leaving Kansas with me the wife and Toto. In the morning I put all 6 guys on in a pattern that reduced the rock and roll considerably. For a bit of fun on that night of wind the arms holding the roof fell down at about 2 am. The section that holds the arms that hold the roof out was floating up and down on the centre pole with the movement caused by the wind. It is held in place by a pin that just fits through holes with nothing to prevent it sliding out. My fault because I had the arms up too high so there was no pressure on the pin. We had a laugh about it.
Now for the not so good news. The first two nights it rained it leaked a little on most of the roof seams even though I prewet it as instructed. It also leaked on the windows which are, I think, very suspect in design. The window covers are on the inside of the tent. I questioned Camping Direct about this and they are quite satisfied they should be waterproof. It is a good idea in that you do not have to get up in the night to go outside to close off the windows. They can be zipped up from the inside. The windows have a neat feature as well that you can half close them in wet weather and because the top third part is see through plastic the rain does not get in but the light does. I have sealed the seams on the roof and windows but it has not rained since to be able to really test it. A hose somehow never seems to be an adequate test. I advised Camping Direct and their response was as much as I could expect. No arguments, they said send it back (at their expense) and they would check it.
I carry it in a Thule top box with all the bedding and soft stuff but I do not bother to put it in the bag. It stores easier as it just folded. Saves a lot of messing about trying to sqeeze it into the bag.
As long as I can fix the leaks with seam seal I will be very happy.
Do a search on the forum and you will find more comments.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 46826

Follow Up By: ChrisM - Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:44

Sunday, Feb 15, 2004 at 22:44
Thanks Richard for the useful info.
I saw in earlier posts that you were looking to buy a Tanami. I know you thought carefully before buying, so I appreciate the feedback.
Regards
Chris
FollowupID: 308828

Sponsored Links