Scratch Removing Pens

Submitted: Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 08:23
ThreadID: 105503 Views:1920 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone used a Scratch Removing Pen? If so do they work, or are they just a scam?
Thanks
Wato
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Herbal - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 08:38

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 08:38
No, not a scam.

Do they work?...Yes.

There is always a but though... They should really be called scratch hiding pens. They do not remove the scratch. They are coloured wax similar to a crayon.

They really only work for light scratches. If the scratch is deep it might/will still show.

You can also get coloured polish. I think Turtle does a coloured wax polish that includes a wax pen. But you would have to check with your local auto place.
AnswerID: 523150

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 09:29

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 09:29
I have used the clear pens that are advertised on TV - they only work on the clear - any scratch through to colour will still show.

However the scratch is back after a couple of weeks.

I have also used the crayons that Herbal mentioned - I found they worked pretty well as long as you car colour was close to the crayon - again as the crayon wears off the scratch comes back.

Garry
FollowupID: 804451

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 16:54

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 16:54
Thanks Garry. I intended to go into more detail, but I got distracted ;)

They make them in a basic colour range. Pick a colour that you think will work, or ask the paint person at your auto store...It can sometimes be deceiving. For example, I found that dark green worked very well on my metallic purple RAV4, but the black highlighted the scratch. If you have a Dulux Trade Centre near you, ask them.

The point made by Garry about clear coat is also important. Most solid colours do not have a clear coat. All metallics, pearls and micas etc do have a clear coat. If your car is anything other than a solid colour, like white etc then it will have a clear coat. It is called COB or clear over base. Without getting all techo, the purpose of the clear coat is to seal the base coat from the weather. Think of it like a bucket of sand. If you pour water into the bucket, it soaks through the sand. If you spread some plastic food wrap on the sand, the water will not go through. You would have seen those cars getting around that look like they have sunburn peeling...That is what happens when water and weather gets to the base coat. 9 out of 10 of those sunburn peelings cars have been buffed and polished at some point. The buffing compound removes the clear coat exposing the base coat.

It is not all doom and gloom...If your paint is a solid, then using the scratch pen and a good wax polish once or twice a year will see many, many long years of service. If it is a COB paint (again, if not sure, the paint person or the Dulux Trade Centre can tell you just by looking at it) then you might want to use said pen and polish at every wash time.

As a side note. Now that you have a scratch, it is more important than ever, to use ONLY proper car or truck wash or even good old sugar soap. Do NOT use any domestic wash that contains sodium ;)

One more thing you might want to look at. If the scratch has gone through to the primer. The primer is the coat under the base on COB paints and under the top coat on solids. Most primer will last about 3 months of exposure to weather. Even though it is just a scratch, if not attended to, it will cause more problems. If the primer is intact the scratch pen is about all you need to prevent any further damage (if you use it regularly). So just ask the paint person (not just the counter staff, the actual paint person) to have a look, or as I said before, the Dulux Trade Centre. Neither will charge you and either or both will be happy to have a look and give you a first hand professional opinion.

....tooo much typing...beer time :)
FollowupID: 804483

Follow Up By: bks - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 21:19

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 21:19
I agree only good if the scratch is only on the clear coat. But for the minor scratches I have found them to be worth the couple of dollar I paid on ebay. Don't bother with the ones advertised on TV. I think I paid about $5 rather than the $20 plus on the TV adds.
FollowupID: 804505

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 09:48

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 09:48
Scratches! there badges of honour, get over it.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 523156

Follow Up By: Mad Habits - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 14:45

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 14:45
Absolutely with you Chris!
Adding more "Bush Pin striping" is far more rewarding than trying in vain to get rid of old ones.
At 3 months old my Nissan STX 550 ($65K+) was well and truly covered in scratches as is the 5th wheeler too:-)

Do they sell that scratch remover in buckets with a mop applicator?
Maybe they could incorporate it into automated car washes and just spray it all over!
Cheers
FollowupID: 804471

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:08

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:08
My Cruiser was about 3 months old when it got its first pinstripping, thats now 6 years ago. Everytime I get in my Cruiser I am reminded of all the great places I have been to get my stripes. Its all in the mind. I do not see damaged paintwork, I see evidence of where I have used my vehicle for the purpose I brought it - to see remote Australia
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 804474

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 09:58

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 09:58
We tried a few and no good. Went back to Turtle colour coded polish and elbow grease.

Phil
AnswerID: 523157

Sponsored Links