Chain saw bar oil

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 18:59
ThreadID: 105656 Views:3787 Replies:17 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Santa brought me a small chain saw for Xmas question is do I have to buy proper Bar oil or will normal engine oil do .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 19:07

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 19:07
Get the proper stuff, standard engine oil is not thick enough for it to work effectively enough.

Also don't forget to wear the full PPE when using it :)

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 523773

Reply By: Iza B - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 19:08

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 19:08
I suggest proper bar oil is the way to go. I have used motor oil in a pinch but bar oil makes much less mess. Consider getting a second chain. Should you accidently drop the chain into the dirt, quick to replace until you get the chance to clean the grit off the dirty one.

Iza
AnswerID: 523774

Reply By: Slow one - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 19:55

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 19:55
I remember when there was no such thing as special oil for the chain.

Have used engine oil for many years now. I just use what I have left over in a drum after an oil change.

Main thing is to clean the bar and chain then reoil after use, make sure you keep the chain sharp.
AnswerID: 523775

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 20:35

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 20:35
Gday,
No you don't.
Its definitely better to use bar oil over engine oil but engine oil is better than no oil at all.

Cheers
AnswerID: 523776

Reply By: P and JM - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 20:48

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 20:48
Hi New Boy,

Go to Supa Cheap Auto if you can to get the bar oil.

I get mine there and it's cheaper brand name and motor oils.

I think I paid around $12.00 for 5 Litres

Cheers P&J
AnswerID: 523777

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 20:55

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 20:55
I save my old diff and gearbox oil for use in the chainsaw
85/140 is a lot stickier than std engine oil.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 523778

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 12:06

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 12:06
I've also heard on more than one occasion where blokes who use a saw a lot are happy to use old engine oil after an oil change. Sometimes they strain it through a stocking to get out any gunk. An old bushy mate of mine reckons bar oil is a con, but as always .. it's horses for courses.
FollowupID: 805366

Reply By: Smiley Bill - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 22:30

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 22:30
Hi new boy,

Use proper chain lube mate. It's formulated to stay on the bar and chain when doing high revs where other types of oil will be thrown off and you will have no lubrication/excessive wear.

SB

AnswerID: 523783

Reply By: yarda - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 23:17

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 23:17
Chain and bar oil is the lighter viscosity grade, single grip harvester oil is the heavy viscosity version.

Can you use motor oil or gear oil in it? Yes for short term or top up if you don't have c&b available. They both happen to be in c&b anyhow.

C&b is a blend of all the various oils left over from production runs, the tail ends and line drains, plus the magic ingredient - a heap of tackifier.

If this is your first chainsaw, please consider doing a chainsaw safety course, these things no matter how big or small can do serious damage very quickly.
AnswerID: 523784

Reply By: WBS - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:29

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:29
Did Santa also include a user manual? Did the user manual include advice/recommendations on what oil to use for your chain bar? If yes, why not just follow those recommendations.

I use chain bar oil on my chainsaw. It comes in a nice little 1 litre container for easy transport and storage and there's no need to fill from a big container and so on.

WBS
AnswerID: 523797

Reply By: KevinE - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:43

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:43
Hi New Boy,

Firstly, congrats on getting a new saw :)

I'm guessing from your question that you don't have a lot of experience with chainsaws?

Google "arboristsite" & scroll down to the "chainsaws" section mate. It's an American site, but there are lots of Aussie guys on there. You will get HEAPS of valuable info on there. There are a lot of long term pro chainsaw users on there.

I use chainsaws 5-6 hours a day, day in, day out & I would only ever use bar oil mate. As has been said, engine oil just makes a mess - on you - on your saw & everything within cooee! Also, if you use engine oil, it will continually leak out the oil pump onto the ground, your car, your trailer etc when you aren't using it.

What saw did you get?

If you look on the bar up near the engine there will be the number of drive links in the chain, the gauge & the pitch stamped into the bar. You don't need to understand what they mean at this stage, but you do need to know those numbers in order to buy a new chain. So, take a photo of them while the bar is still new & you can read them.

Re a accidentally dropping a chain in the dirt; it's no biggie! just wash it with a hose & then run the saw for a while to pump oil back onto it before using it again. If you have blunted the chain, just sharpen it with a file.

Buy a round file & a flat file & learn how to keep the chain sharp. Drop the depth gauges every 3rd or so sharpening. But don't drop them too much.

One other thing, new chains stretch, so keep an eye on it! If it gets too loose it will come off the bar while you are using the saw. The very best thing that can happen then is that it'll only scare the crap out of you.

" href="https://
" target="_blank">3 of my saws.

" href="https://
" target="_blank">Saw pics
[url=[IMG]http:
AnswerID: 523803

Follow Up By: yarda - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 11:37

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 11:37
What make are the blue saws?
FollowupID: 805365