4800 Towed by Disco - Is this the ultimate Shame !

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 20:17
ThreadID: 105657 Views:3338 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
At least it wasn't my car - well actually I paid for it but after a huge effort
the kids got our other 4800 Petrol Patrol running by midday Christmas day and while still covered in dirt and grimme, thru everything into the back of the Patrol until it overflowed with camping gear and made Talbotville campsite in Vic high country in time for cold late christmas dinner after only 2 repairs on the 300km drive up.

After being recently detuned to 400kw and a cheap gearbox with close enough ratios out of a 3lt Patrol fitted we thought the car was basically reliable but it was off to a bad start.

The message that big wheels and lots of power may get you up the biggest hill, but won't necessarily get you home again still hasn't got thru but after waking up early at midday they wanted a drive and off they went.

But then the shame began - Soon a call was for help was heard after floundering on a dirt ridge and then embrassment from being snatched out by a hi-lux from another century (at least it had 35 inch wheels- and a V8).

Not deterred we all decided to go on a river run up Bulltown Spur way - at least the 20 odd river crossings would keep the cars temperature under control.

The car got to crossing 8 when it simply died - the worst was assumed (main ECU failure) and out went a call for help.

I answered but by the time I got there a friendly Queenslander in a Disco 4 had hooked them up and was towing them back.

I meet them 1/2 way and the incar cam caught these photos.

Two rescues in one day isn't a good start to a holiday and we were stuck with a dead car in the bush.
We hooked up a laptop to enquire of the car what its problem was but it is fitted with a Haltech ECU and the error codes couldn't be figured out (wheres the manual son?).
Figuring a lengthy problem we began at the basics, it soon became apparent that the ECU power light was on but that no spark or injector pulses could be seen.
It appeared that the ECU was ok but that simply wouldn't fire up the engine despite it cranking freely.
A Toyota driver then noticed that a wire in a loom going to the crank angle sensor was broken - this made sense as to why the ECU was effectivly asleep.

I.E. "The last thing played with was the problem" rule applies Kids.

The wire was twisted together and off again they went before questions could be asked about why the loom was unsupported and also how could you see a broken wire anyway because the loom was supposed to be a loom not a collection of badly soldered mismatched wires.

Still Billy Goat Bluff was done with only the lost of one side mirror and everyone seemed happy enough.

We were espically happy when the youguns and friends decided to have New Years 400km to the N.W. of us and took off.
The babysitting was over for now, so with the 1/2 dozen cars left we all sat back for a relaxed no pressure New Years eve.

Recently a descision was made that hairline fractures and any incident of blood loss less than 20ml doesn't constitute an injury and so it was agreed we had a near perfect week weather wise and near perfect Christmas camp along with a free instructional course on bush repairs of the electrical kind.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 20:58

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 20:58
Gday Robin
A good week was had by all then? Coffee ?

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 523779

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 21:06

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 21:06
A good week was had Muz and I hope for all other Exploroz's as well.

A camp at other end of campground even put on a semi-professional fireworks show , we had the dog but shes old and getting deaf almost now and slept though it , unlike a few years ago when we spent 2 hours after midnight searching thru thr bush for her.

Coffee - Yep time to restart for 2014, but not until to-morrow morning !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805340

Reply By: George_M - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 21:46

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 21:46
The ultimate shame?

Indubididly, Robin: indubidily:-)

And the video being used in the next Land Rover commercial would make it even worse - so make sure the video doesn't make it to Facebook!

George
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 523780

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 06:56

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 06:56
Thats a tempting thought George - I reckon they may pay well for it too, and Nissan could invoke plausible denighability as its so non-standard.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805346

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 23:21

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 23:21
And then there was my diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee pulling a Disco 4 uphill out of a ditch half way up Mt Pinnibar last week. :-)
AnswerID: 523785

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 06:51

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 06:51
What is the world coming to Mike ! And the Cherokees are so mild looking - the wolf in sheeps clothing.

We had the sheep in wolves clothing at our camp when 3 jeep wranglers dropped in for a cup of coffee , they look so good with bright bold colours and high lift jacks mounted on front quarter panels and lots of other cute over the counter bits.

Actually with the tracks dry - everyone was looking pretty good this year !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805345

Follow Up By: Penchy - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 07:36

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 07:36
My 2.8TD GQ on 33s pulled a 4.2 GU on 35s up Pinnibar a couple of months ago.
FollowupID: 805347

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:11

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:11
The Disco was trying to get up Pinnibar late on Boxing Day when there was a massive storm. Apparently there were torrents of water cascading down the track and they slid sideways into some really large ruts. To rub salt into the wounds their winch wouldn't work. We happened along mid morning after they had slept in the car all night....at least they were comfy being in a Disco. :-) The track was still a little muddy when we went through. I was surprised he couldn't drive out, I would have bet money he could but there you go.
FollowupID: 805351

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 07:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 07:00
Robin that looks to me like the 4.8 is pushing the Disco using a stiff strap ha.
AnswerID: 523787

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 07:56

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 07:56
I like it Tony - a few more creative observations like that and we can rename this thread friday funnies
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805349

Follow Up By: Rob K (VIC) - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:12

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:12
Hi Robin, you can also say it happened in August this year given the date and time stamp on the photos. Did it really happen last week or is the memory getting a little bit confused these days???

Happy New Year.

Rob K
FollowupID: 805357

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 11:15

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 11:15
Well I'm sure the memory is getting a bit confused as I thought the car was being towed but Tony assured me that the Patrol was pushing Rob.

I have a few videos like that with incorrect date - makes you wonder how it would be treated as evidence of bad road behaviour doesn't it.

I think what happens is that the clock backup is only good for 2 or 3 days and camera loses its time/date reference
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805361

Reply By: gke - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:19

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:19
Hi Robin, A few years back we were fishing up near Double Island north of Noosa when we became aware of shouting,pointing and laughter. There was a Range Rover being towed up to Rainbow Beach by one of the local garbage trucks!
The poor bloke was looking neither to the right nor left and probably trying not to breathe either as those beach rubbish skips really stink. Body language was all embarrassment.

Cheers,Graham.
AnswerID: 523800

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 11:21

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 11:21
That would be serious body language embarrasment Graham - but you shouldn't laugh, one day we will all be their !

The kids tell me any tow is a good tow when you need it and in this case the Disco driver wouldn't even accept a case for his troubles - how good is that !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805362

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 14:55

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 14:55
takes me back to my old Defender - pulled several Cruisers out of the mire with the old leaker.......oddly enough, never a Pootrol.

I miss it's oil dispenser facility though......kept my driveway lovey and lubricated.
AnswerID: 523815

Sponsored Links