Work Around Coffs in April & Hint & Tips on Working Around Australia

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 05, 2014 at 18:05
ThreadID: 105698 Views:1819 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and 2014 has kicked off with a good start!!

My husband and myself are packing up the house at the beginning of April to start out travelling in a camper trailer around Australia. The first part will be heading up the east coast to Cape York from Lake Macquarie. We are looking to be around the Coffs Harbor region during the Easter Holidays and staying put until the main holiday buzz has gone (we’ve been caught out before with driving around for hours to find a spot to camp during the holidays). As were a looking to stay put for a few weeks I thought it may also be a good opportunity to find some work in the area to keep the old bank balance topped up. Which leads me onto the main question - Does anyone have any recommendation for areas we should head for where we will be more likely to find work in that region? We don’t have any trade experience so to speak (I’ve been bound to a desk most my life and my hubby is a gemologist & jewellery valuer by trade), but were are both very hands on and certainly not afraid of mucking in and getting any job done. The Ideal situation would be if we could get a paid job with the ability to camp onsite somewhere. We have never really been to the Coffs area so any recommendations on areas to try would be helpful. Or does anyone have any helpful hints to find work while travelling around? Sadly we did not win the lotto last night and will need to work here and there as we go to keep fuel in the tank…

As always I have read many previous threads before writing this post (I’m not a lazy seeker for knowledge), but any further advice, sharing of experiences and wisdom would be very much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Jan 05, 2014 at 18:19

Sunday, Jan 05, 2014 at 18:19
Hi exilebean,
There is a web site called (Work about Australia) and it has jobs such as caretakers and handyman that might suit you. There are quite a lot of sites on the web like that. But saying that you have to be in the right area at the right time. As you get to more remote paces you will be able to pick up work easy.
Enjoy your trip and stay safe.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 523939

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 20:45

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 20:45
The best place to stay in Coffs Harbour is Woolgoolga. It is a village about 20km North of the city. A much more lay back area. Coffs can be quite crazy and over crowded during Easter.
Jobs are not readily available but they are about if you want to find them. My bet is just to ask about at the shops and businesses. Reliable workers are in demand.
Jobs are mainly white collar. Casual teachers are always sought if you have the qualifications. Same with day care or pre school work as a lot of people commute to Coffs for work.
Other big employers are in hospitality, agriculture, fishing, retail or labouring in the area.
A lot of people earn money working on the blueberry plantations just north of town at Corindi. Summer is the harvest but there is usually work all year round. http://www.costaexchange.com.au/index.php/careers
The Coffs Coast Advocate is published online http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/ and has a jobs section.
A lot of employment agencies in Coffs and Woopi such as Nortec. See them on or before you arrive and register for work. http://www.nortecltd.com.au/
There are lots of little villages on the "northern beaches" as they are referred to but Woolgoolga is the biggest.
The main advantage with staying in Woopi as it is called by the locals is that it is less urbanised but close enough to commute to Coffs for work if you needed to commute. Don't forget to check out Mullaway as a very nice place to stay. A very quiet beach front caravan park. The shop has a community notice board. So too does the servo on the highway.
Grafton is a big city north of the area. More jobs there but you need to commute although it is a great inland city and the weather is beautiful at Easter. Scenery in the Clarence is beautiful all year round!
Hope this helps.
Enjoy your stay. Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 524000

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 14:30

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 14:30
G'day Exilebean,

Work can be fairly easy to come across when travelling. Places like us, remote roadhouses, are always hiring couples and travellers for Roadhouse attendant jobs. Most of these usually come with accomodation too.
We usually advertise exclusively on gumtree. A quick google search will give you the web address for it. All sorts of jobs for travellers on there.

Cheers
Al
AnswerID: 524040

Sponsored Links