EZ-Connector Trailer Plugs

Submitted: Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 07:40
ThreadID: 105705 Views:5356 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, not wanting to hijack a previous thread on trailer plugs, so will start a new one. Has anyone used the EZ -Connector magnetic trailer plugs from the USofA? Certainly look good, but bloody expensive. The website says that you can buy online, but then won't allow you to place an order. Anybody used there Australian agent, Mobile Energy in Qld? Thanks in advance.

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old 55 - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 09:22

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 09:22
Hi John
Looks an incredible plug, how much were the asking?

Cheers Rod
AnswerID: 523958

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 10:46

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 10:46
Still waiting for the Australian price, will post when I get them.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805557

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 09:23

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 09:23
A magnet retained pressure pin contact device. hmmm.
Great for the space shuttle so it can auto disconnect.

I think I will stick with a flat 7 pin and just spread the pins as required.
AnswerID: 523959

Reply By: Sundowner2 - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 10:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 10:00
I would be very reluctant to shy away from the 'norm', Australia has adopted a national set of guidelines for trailer electrical connections, all circuits follow a set wire colour coding and plug connectors, this allows interchangeability between trailers and caravans, in other words if you plug your Bunnings free trailer into your vehicle that tows your caravan you can be reasonably sure all lights will work.
Also, the 7 pin trailer system that has been around for some no longer has a facility for running caravan internal lighting, once upon a time circuit number 2 (Black) was designated 'auxiliary' but is now designated 'reverse' for reversing lights and there is good reason for this....when running a caravan refrigerator it was once also powered via that old No 2 circuit but as we all found out the standard wiring was not of sufficient gauge to successfully operate the refrigerator, along came the 12 pin flat plug.
In the 12 pin system circuit No 9 (pink) allows for a heavier gauge wire and is designated for the refrigerator and internal lighting/radio requirements on the trailer, pin No 10 allows for a larger earth wire and compliments pin No 3 (white) which is also an earth but is (and should always) isolated from each other.
The 12 pin flat plug also eliminates the need for a separate Anderson plug but many still install one for such high current drawers as a portable fridge.
So, I would certainly be hesitant in installing any items that utilize non-standard Australian codes, in my opinion, and I am ready to be corrected, what we have designed for use in Australia, regardless of where it was made, is as good as available from overseas.
AnswerID: 523963

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 15:02

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 15:02
I used to have the 12 pin flat.
Didn’t fuction real well, especially in dusty situations – renewed a couple of times.
I went to 2 large circular 7 pin 30 amp plugs – they are a much more robust connection, especially in off the bitumen applications.
FollowupID: 805570

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 10:16

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 10:16
We tried one in the USA, Don't waste your money!!!

We used the RV type plugs on our trailers in the USA and have a couple in use here. Much beefier than the dinky Aussie ones.

US Trailer plug
AnswerID: 523964

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 10:25

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 10:25
Thank you, the sort of reply I was hoping for, real time expereince. Was also looking at the other plugs, so much cheaper and certainly look beefier. Thanks once again.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805555

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 11:24

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 11:24
Hi John

Haven't used the agent but, it came as standard on my UEV 490. So far I. have had no issues with it.

Only difference is my female end is simpler, it doesn't have the spring loaded cover.

Very easy to connect/disconnect. Male plug end has a place to connect into on trailer when not on use and the female vehicle end came with a blank plug to insert when not in use (this stores in the trailer one when connected). O-rings keep it nice and dry reducing risk of corrosion. Connecting cable is quite substantial (approx 20 mm across).

I have now only got this type of plug on my LC. I have had an adapter made to let me use standard 7 pin, but will now have all my trailers converted over. While I didn't make the adapter myself, I watched the auto electrician do it and he was pretty quick, so I am assuming the colour coding is standard.

Cheers

Anthony

AnswerID: 523970

Reply By: PhilD - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 21:19

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 21:19
Hi,
I have been using the 7 pin EZ connector for a while now and found it to be fantastic in dusty and wet conditions. It overcomes a lot of the maintenance issues with a normal round plug.

Were $195 and not difficult to wire to a 7 pin configuration. The newer version are self closing, but with mine I have an end cap for both ends when not in use. Was pretty easy to make my own adapter for when I use someone else's trailer.

Low maintenance just needing Vaseline occasionally on the O rings.

I will be replacing my Anderson Plug with the 2 pin version when I get around to it.

Mobile Energy fine to deal with, just need a shove along to supply if not in stock.

Phil
AnswerID: 524002

Reply By: Andrew D. - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 10:13
They are great in a clean laboratory where there is no iron stone or much to collect. Our vehicle in the US had one of those plugs. You would be amazed how much magnetic iron stone around. Go and drag a magnet through soil and see how much is attracted to the magnet. After 3 weeks changed the plug and socket to a standard pin type. The most reliable trailer plugs and sockets are the large metal 7 pin round.
AnswerID: 524025

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 12:27

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 12:27
Thanks, very good point.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805605

Reply By: Member - Ian H8 - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 13:36

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 13:36
John, Southern Gross Mining in Mackay Qld have these plugs in stock at the moment on special for $100.00 + gst. Phone 07/49985061. I just brought one.
AnswerID: 524036

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 06:13

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 06:13
Thanks to all that replied, still to decide which way to go.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 524126

Sponsored Links